Little Jigmaster from Scratch -- Parts and Pieces

Started by foakes, February 14, 2016, 04:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

If anyone going out on the 12 hour trip in April wants to take this reel for a test ride it'll be available to try out  ;D ;D ;D

ReelCurious

What do you mean with the stacked magnets?  Did you epoxy down a washer then put two magnets on the washer, alternating as you go around?  I finished magging a squidder and was going to do the same with a 99, but I used the cups and only did 1 magnet per cup.  Never even crossed my mind to stick a second magnet on top.

foakes

Right, RC --

Epoxied 7 washers to the inner sideplate --

Then protected them with clear epoxy against rust --

Then just stack the mags on top of the washers -- 1, 2, or 3 -- they stay perfectly in place -- you need a pair of pliers to get them off -- but they are much easier to remove from the washers, then with the cups.

Alternate the polarities in the washer circle ring --

This way -- mags can be added, removed, switched around -- easily.

At this point, I have set it up for a double stack and full ring of mags -- but the final configuration will be up to the user, PJ. 

There are many mathematical possibilities -- just whatever works the best for the user.

Even though the spool is not magnetic -- Lenz's Magnetic Law as it relates to metallic conductors , sets up Eddy Currents and fields -- that overlap and interact with each other -- thus slowing down the spool.  The same principle is used in many motor and engineering applications.

You can even epoxy washers to the inner spool, opposite the side plate mags -- and this will nearly stop the spool unless dropping 12 oz lead.

So these are very versatile -- maybe not pretty -- but they do not show, are effective, flexible, and cheap.

SaltyDog is really good at these.

And, at the end of the day -- this is not a $500 Plinth Princess Jigmaster.  It is a capable little, tough reel, made with parts on hand, like the used Lee Pros, and some strategic new parts from Alan, Bryan, and others -- and a minimum of fluff.  The 5 stack, plus Gen II SS sleeve, dog, & kit -- make this a little winch.

Possibly a good example of where old school and new school meet.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelCurious

Thanks for the info.  I think I'm going to use the washers for the 99 I want to mag.  I put slots in the cups with a dremmel for the Squidder, but it's still hard enough to get the magnets out that I don't bother with it for the most part.  I have no idea how many the 99 will need so I actually got a few different sizes.  Just using the washer will at least make it easier to modify it.

Dominick

Great job Fred.  I am proud to know you and the fact that you coined the phrase "Plinth Princess."  I love it.  From now on I will not use the word "shelfie" (sorry Aiala I think the first time I heard shefie was in one of Aiala's posts) a reel will be either a fisher or fishing reel or a Plinth Princess.  Yea! Fred
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

pjstevko

I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D but Fred's on vacation and waiting on the curved drag star to be back in stock so I'll have to wait a little while longer.

I'll be taking this down to the lake to practice my subpar casting skills before the group outing next month. I'd hate to birdnest it on my first cast but seeing all the magnets in there I'm pretty even I couldn't birdnest this beast!

sdlehr

Rudy and I went out to the pier last night and I brought 3 rods; two spinners and a Squidder. When I wasn't cleaning up bird's nests I was having a good time - only cut and spliced back together the line once :-\. So I'm going to mag my Squidder; at night when you can't see the terminal tackle hit the water it's really hard to not get backlashes... it is for me; my thumb isn't well-trained (yet). I was using the Squidder plastic spool with the fins... and was OK at the beginning of the cast.... so I don't know whether I would be better off with an aluminum spool or the chromed brass. I can make arguments for both, but I'm thinking the aluminum might be the ticket. The heavier chromed brass spool would take longer to get up to speed, but once up to speed will be harder to slow down because it is heavier. The aluminum, because it is lighter, would be more adaptable to changes in speed - which is what causes backlashes. Squidders have been magged before. What spool has been used, and is there a basis for comparison between the chromed brass and aluminum? And how many magnets might be needed for each spool type?? Any advice from anyone who has (or has not) done this before is welcome.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Aiala

You're right, Sid, aluminum is the way to go. Is your Squidder a 140 or a 146? If the former: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-140-Squidder-Aluminum-Spool-Penn-Made-in-USA-/272216622113?hash=item3f61600421:g:wr0AAOSwLmVXDswg

If it's a 146, those are a lot harder to find... meantime, did you catch anything last night?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

sdlehr

Quote from: Aiala on April 26, 2016, 02:34:15 PM
You're right, Sid, aluminum is the way to go. Is your Squidder a 140 or a 146? If the former: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-140-Squidder-Aluminum-Spool-Penn-Made-in-USA-/272216622113?hash=item3f61600421:g:wr0AAOSwLmVXDswg

If it's a 146, those are a lot harder to find... meantime, did you catch anything last night?   :)

~A~
Thanks Aiala! It's a 140.

Catch? Were we supposed to catch? I hooked two fish on rigs my dad tied 24 years ago.... a puffer that snapped the old mono line (but I had to try catching on my dad's old rig so I was OK with that) and something we should have taken a picture of because neither Rudy nor I can identify that little denizen... it had a unique lower jaw/throat contour that I was looking for in the pics and didn't find... could be that was peculiar to just this fish, but I'm skeptical of that. Nobody else was catching that night either...

I'll be looking at that spool on eBay, thanks  ;)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector