Okuma Cavalla 50Wii

Started by boghy, February 10, 2011, 09:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boghy

Here are all the info the someone would need to know about Okuma Cavalla 50Wii.

Smooth reel due to helical cut gears, two piece solid aluminum (6061-T6 used for airplane) frame, two speed 4 bearings  - what not to like?
I haven't touched the bearings yet, because i'll upgrade them and i haven't play with the drag beside greasing it with Cal's grease.
There are only 2 "()" bellevilles . What i'm thinking is to but 3 bellevilles  from okuma, the remove the pad material that's between carbon drag and aluminum spool see image #42 and #43.

Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

wallacewt

good stuff boghy,thats what this site is all about,

Roger

Nice job, now put some line on that thing and go catch some fishies.......

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

you got the pins for the silent anti-reverse collar back into the dogs ok?  that was the part that tripped me up at first.  also, please send me a pm with your shipping info.  i have something that i want to send to you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Quote from: alantani on February 10, 2011, 03:58:39 PM
you got the pins for the silent anti-reverse collar back into the dogs ok?  that was the part that tripped me up at first.  also, please send me a pm with your shipping info.  i have something that i want to send to you.  thanks!  alan
I was confused myself to, but i went be to my camera and figure it out. Now, this reel has another catch, which people need to pay close attention. In the picture #124 you'll see that part going into place, well at least that's what i thought, but after screwing those 4 screw i rotated the T-Bar handle and suddenly i lost freespool. Then i was thinking to take it out and reverse it on the other side, and everything was fine. What that means is that there is a small bend made by manufacture and needs to be placed in on the right side. My recommendation is to make a sign with a marker to know exactly with side goes up.

redsetta

Great stuff - comprehensive, informative and thorough.
Alan runs a cracker site that gets better by the day...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

in this tutorial it shows the real seat clamp with a safety lug on. looks like a top idea for attaching the safety rope instead of the harness lug.if you made it 2,5 m long you could run from side to side of the boat,strangle anybody in the way and not lose your gear.any other brands got em?

Norcal Pescador

Wallace,
PennParts has some, mostly for the larger senators (4/0 and up).
Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

had abit of alook around and there is a multitude of clamps with  the safety ring(lanyard)i just havent notice them ???

boghy

For thous who may wonder how much cranking can be applied to Okuma Cavalla 50w-II, here is the answer:
Based on real life scenario, applying a harness and a fighting belt you can crack 32lb in lower gear without a problem. You can go higher in cracking if you chose to lose freespool - then 32lb, BUT Okuma Cavalla 50w-II has 32lb at full spool NOT 45lb as advertised BEFORE loosing freespool. Still good, but i'm not really sure where that 13lb difference is coming from, unless Okuma measures they reel at empty spool where - YES - you get that 45lb - but what's the point there?
All this where measured on a 50lb limit digital scale.

boghy

This is something that's truly new - i mean - 2 hours old news.
I found a way under $5 (shipping included) investment that needs to be purchased from Okuma directly where you can tune-up the drag to the advertised drag level +45lb drag at full spool line without loosing freespool. I wonder why Okuma with they engineering team didn't thought about this :).
Also, when the line on the spool is 25% less from fully packed, your drag goes up to 55-60lb - the variation in measurements comes from the pulling speed that gets applied when these measurements are taken. I used digital scale for these measurements.
The drag tune-up is almost similar to alan's approach, but you may be surprised where and how needs to be applied.
I'm in the middle of doing the tutorial, and in few days i'll gonna do a more detail posting. If you have a Okuma Cavalla 50w-ll you'll gonna like my next detailed post - I GUARANTIED!
So far i only caught a 9ft hammerhead shark on this reel - 15 minutes of fight at 35lb drag (full drag), now when this tune-up kicks in with an additional 15lb drag- oh boy - FISH ON & good luck to hold your grounds without a belt and harness!

Felton

When you guys are testing drag are you pulling it straight out of the reel or do you have it on the rod with rod bent like you are fighting a fish?

I got 32 out of my cavalla 15II on the rod and still had free spool.

alantani

do both.  you should see only a 10% difference.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Finally, i managed to snap some photos on how to tune-up your Okuma Cavalla 50w drag.

Before you do any change to this reel you need to call Okuma at (909)-923-2828 (ext 2) to order one belleville (everything cost under $5), but NOT from Okuma Cavalla 50w, instead order one bellevilles from Okuma Solterra SLR-15CS part number 16090013 named in the schematics as "SPRING WASHER". Weird? Yeah, that's what i thought at first.

Here is how this belleville looks like:

After you have this part ordered, you'll need to make another change to this reel.
Take the reel apart as shown in this topic, till you get to this steep:

There you'll gonna see the 2 bellevilles that comes originally set as such "()". Change that from "()" to "((". When you do that change, make sure that the 2 bellevilles when are set as: left side [bearing] "((" retainer right side.
When that changed was done, install all the parts back till you get to this part:

Take the Okuma Solterra SLR-15cs belleville and the Okuma Cavalla 50w Adjust Block as such:

and mount the Okuma Solterra SLR-15cs belleville INSIDE the Okuma Cavalla 50w Adjust Block as such:

After that, install both parts back in the Level Drag as seen bellow:

From here install back the Cast Control Cap with the spring as shown here:

With all these changes, the drag will increase with ~20lb at full generating around 50lb drag at full spool without loosing freespool.
Anything over 30lb of drag pressure will require to use a belt with a harness, otherwise you'll be in pain - fast!
I would like to hear some feedback from anyone trying this.

Enjoy - boghy!  

Grog

It seems like the TG/TS series with helical cut gears.  I didn't see a thrust bearing, how do they get the drag so high without loosing freespool?  Would the older TG/TS series reels be able to obtain the same drag?