The Mitchell President 'Urban Legend' big game fishing reel

Started by Membedeep, February 22, 2016, 08:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Membedeep

When searching the internet for the Mitchell President, this forum has the best information. I found the "Mitchell 1090 Big Game reel" topic about the trolling reels from Mitchell: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14392.0 where there were also some info about the President reels. I am grateful for all the info in that topic, but I think a dedicated topic for the Mitchell President reels will not harm anyone (The 1040 - 1120 series are from the '70s and they are a different reel). Especially that it's a rare reel and few information about it can be found online.

So when I found a President 4/0 reel with the original user's manual and warranty, I found some more info about the history of this interesting big game reel. So this is it:

President were made between 1986-1989 in an uncertain number. Some say that only 500 reels were made in total, of all sizes. But I doubt it. Especially that I found to exist more models than initially some user mentioned on the old topic. Mitchell made 9 model of Presidents: 2/0, 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, 9/0 2R, 12/0, 12/0 2R, 14/0, 14/0 2R (2R comes from Two Ratio). So the bigger ones, the 9/0, 12/0 and the 14/0 were also made in limited number with 2 speed.

I found on an italian forum someone saying that the 2R versions were made in 200 pieces/each. So I would say that Mitchell made this reel, of all the nine sizes, in around 200 pieces/each, so there are about 1800 Mitchell Presidents out there. And I am happy that one of these is in my hands.

The Presidents have all 7 stainless steel ball bearings and come with lifetime warranty.

Some info from the user's manual:
2/0 weights 720 g (24,4 oz), has a ratio of 4/1, and a line retrieve of 0.75 m (2'5'') per handle rotation
4/0 weights 1820 g (64,2 oz), has a ratio of 2.8/1, and a line retrieve of 0.65 m (2'2'') per handle rotation
6/0 weights 2290 g (80,8 oz), has a ratio of 2.8/1, and a line retrieve of 0.80 m (2'8'') per handle rotation
9/0 weights 3520 g (124,1 oz), has a ratio of 2.5/1, and a line retrieve of 0.80 m (2'8'') per handle rotation
12/0 weights 4220 g (149,0 oz), has a ratio of 2.5/1, and a line retrieve of 0.95 m (3'2'') per handle rotation
14/0 weights 5560 g (196,1 oz), has a ratio of 2.5/1, and a line retrieve of 1/05 m (3'5'') per handle rotation

If anyone has a President, perhaps they can post some pictures in this topic so we can make some sense of their serial numbers. The one and only detailed in pictures, the one from the MitchellReelMuseum, in size 12/0, has the serial number 3704. Mine has 3207.

Soon, because I am a curios guy, I will open it and see what hides inside. And I will reply with some new pictures.

Thanks you for your interest!

foakes

Welcome, Membedeep --

Appreciate your research --

These are extraordinary examples of European machines --

Of an Era of quality and pride in workmanship -- that has slipped through our fingers.

Glad you have one -- congratulations!

Welcome & All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Robert Janssen

Yes, they have been discussed here before, as well as at the ORCA Reel Talk forum, usually in conjunction with the Gladiator reels.

Now, a two-speed.... that is very interesting. I didn't know about that.

Some more info on the background here, if you missed it  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9372.0

Membedeep

I had to open the reel because I wanted to get rid of those big screws that hold the plate that helps fixing the reel on the rod. Because I want to display it and those screws were in my way... On of them had to be cut, but they are easy to replace.

So this is it. The other half I did not open, but I will some day.

Membedeep

Sorry for the reply, but I have some more pics  ;)

Membedeep

The last one. But I will be back with some more soon.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

basto

Certainly a thing of beauty to we who love quality reels.
thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Membedeep

I found in the 'Les moulinets francais' by Pecari the real numbers of the Presidents. They were made in realy limited numbers!

Tightlines667

Wow!

Only 41 14/0 reels were produced (at time of publication?), and I let a local one slip through my grasp a few years back.

*edited to remove stupid question

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Well, it seems that way, except for the asterisked caveat down at the bottom:

"The quantities given apply to the production achieved between 1984 and 1992 taking into account that the data for the 1987/1988 season under are not known, the same for after 1992"

Membedeep

The catalogue is from 1998 and the Presidents were made only untill 1992, something like that. Those are some pretty rare reels and a 12/0 just popped-out on Ebay for around 1000 dollars! But the 12/0 were made 200 units, making it the most "popular" :)

54bullseye

Well I was lucky enough to see this Mitchell President "same one pictured in this post serial #3207" on Ebay and won it. Member " Membedeep " lives in Romania so I was some what hesitant to bid on it but I really liked the reel and thought $35 shipping was fair. I had the reel in 8 days better than some USA sellers !! Valentin Manus  from Romania is a real good guy and a while after I bought that reel he emailed me with info on a 14/0 Mitchell President which from what I have read and seen here and on ORCA is a fairly rare reel "total of 41 made" from what I have seen. He new a guy that had one that had been fished but still worked 100% and looked decent with a small amount of boat rash so he went out of his way and got pictures from his buddy and all the info on the reel and emailed it all to me.

Well we struck up a deal and I sent $$$$$$$ and Membedeep got it and wrapped it good and about another 8 days it moved to USA !!!  Thanks so much Valentin Manus for going out of your way for me !!!!!  As I said a bit of boat rash and I new it had been in the salt so I had to pull it apart. I found a little crud but it had been well greased and cared for. The worst rash is on the logo on top of reel but the rest is pretty good and it is very smooooth !!! The clicker sounds like a jack hammer when on it would wake any one up when a fish struck !!!

No more room on this post for pics so I will follow up with a few in next couple posts.  Thanks for looking !!
   John Taylor

54bullseye

Pictures of the 14/0 Mitchell President.