Hello from Colorado

Started by shiverfix, February 25, 2016, 11:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiverfix

I'm David from Colorado.

This all started from going on ebay to look for trolling reels for upcoming trips to Flaming Gorge and Corpus.  I started researching Penn conventionals, and something about them just dug into my soul.  I think they remind me of my other love, Alfas.  Beautiful, relatively unchanged over a long period, fairly easy to work on, and parts that are easily come by.  And just like my Spider, I find the older models much more beautiful, with the chrome frame posts instead of the more modern graphite or aluminum.

I kind of dove in, because that is what I tend to do, and I end up buying a 9, two 209s, and a 114 off of ebay.  The 209s were being sold together, one was in nice condition, the other pretty badly corroded.  I've already done the refurb on the nicer one with a complete tear down cleaning and rebuild with HT-100 drag washers.  I've got plans for the corroded one that will ruin the patina, but should be fun.

So as I'm researching, this site keeps coming up with information:  step by step tutorials, lube and grease suggestions, nearly an endless supply of information.  I decided to go ahead and sign up, and join others who have this obsession!

Oh, and my screen name is a band I used to be in.

steelhead_killer

Welcome!  You are in good hands here!  Many helpful folks and so generous with their time and knowledge! Have fun!

Andy
><)))">

Reel 224

Welcome David, you joined a good group of people. As was said there are many helpful people here.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

we're gonna try not to let you spend too much money.  welcome!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shiverfix

Well Alan, I have a very understanding wife, but there is a budget limitation  ;D

David Hall

Quote from: shiverfix on February 26, 2016, 12:13:30 AM
Well Alan, I have a very understanding wife, but there is a budget limitation  ;D

Welcome you can get in lots of trouble here. 

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

foakes

Welcome aboard, David!

Besr,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

shiverfix

Thanks everyone!  Quick question, I have a write up from my first tear down refurb that I posted on my local fishing forum.  It is in now way as in depth as what Alan and others post, but would that be something I should post here?  If so, which section?  Thanks!

Shark Hunter

Welcome David,
If it is for the 209, post it in the Penn tutorial and questions section.
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Hi David --

Do they still get the big Browns (Record size fish) out of Flaming Gorge Reservoir?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88