Drag Washers Penn 115 three different generations and 114H's

Started by carjunkie, February 27, 2016, 09:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carjunkie

I have three 115's and three 114H's that I want to service and replace the drags on.  I figured just going to new HT100 drags with some Cal's drag grease should be good for some Mahi and smaller tuna.  I've read a bit on here and Scott's Bait and Tackle. 

It appears I have three different 115s, one is the black anodized spool with the newer bearing design, one is the bronze chrome spool with newer bearing design and one is the bronze chrome spool with the friction screw bearing.  They all appear to have the drag washers that are accessible from the outside with the chrome washer and felt washer behind the star wheel.  They look like this as far as the drag washer access...   http://kapoulitsas-outdoors.gr/images/stories/virtuemart/product/penn_senator_115l_new.jpg

The three 114s are all maroon side plates with drag washers internally accessed. 

From what I have been able to find on this, all six of these reels will take the same HT100 drag washer kit.  Is this correct?

MarkT

Mahi and smaller Tuna? A stock Jigmaster will handle those... A 6/0 will do much better than that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

carjunkie

foakes

Welcome, CJ --

Yes, the CF washers, SS metal washers -- greased with Cal's will do the trick nicely.

If any of the metal washers are SS, or good brass -- I would not replace those -- save your money -- just flat lap them on a sheet of 600 emory sandpaper, if not perfect.

Also, suggest you replace the under gear washers on each reel with a under gear washer made of Delrin.  Do not grease these -- just install dry.  This will be buttery smooth at all drag levels -- with the new drags and Delrin -- no jerky start up.

Dawn, at Smooth Drag has all of these items -- and will ship immediately.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: carjunkie on February 27, 2016, 09:57:21 PM
I have three 115's and three 114H's that I want to service and replace the drags on.  I figured just going to new HT100 drags with some Cal's drag grease should be good for some Mahi and smaller tuna.  I've read a bit on here and Scott's Bait and Tackle. 

From what I have been able to find on this, all six of these reels will take the same HT100 drag washer kit.  Is this correct?
The 114H and 115 use the same main gear. The pinions are different.
So, Yes they all will use the same drag stack.
Life is Good!

carjunkie

Reels got put on the back burner but I started into them today.  I first rebuilt two 115s I bought on Ebay this winter.  One was like new inside, the original drags looked like new.  I replaced the drags greased with cal's, cleaned up the rest and gave it a coat of Quicksilver 2 4 c grease.  Added some Penn reel oil and done.  The second one was the oldest of the two.  Inside the second some moisture had gotten in and caused some corrosion.  The original grease was dried and caked however the drags were damp and looked abused.  The washer under the main gear was disintegrated though still in mostly one piece.  I had to spend time cleaning this one and scraping off the dried up grease.  I used the 2 4 C as a cleaner, rubbing things down with a cloth.  I had to pry the old drags out and scrape out the corrosion. I cleaned up the main gear and coated everything in 2 4 C.  I greased up the drags with cals and screwed it back together.  Despite the corrosion everything looked to be in good shape.  The anti reverse dog spring seemed weak so I may have to replace it eventually.  So far so good.  Pleased with my work so far, now to finish the other four I have to do before striper season opens. 

carjunkie

Finished two more, a 115 and a 114H US model.  The 115 looked new on the outside and had been serviced before.  The grease was dry but not flaky, the drags showed some wear and were Ht-100 material.  I cleaned it up, regreased and put in the new drags with Cal's grease. Moving right along.

The 114 has had some serious use but had also been serviced. I cleaned everything up, regreased and put in new drags with Cal's.  This appears to be a transition 114 due to the side plate.  One of the chrome rings on the outside is cracked so I guess I need to find a replacement.  I have a parts reel that has a cracked side plate but the ring on that one is cracked as well. 

Satisfying work, can't wait to get some fish on the line and feel the reels do their thing.  :)

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

carjunkie

Sorry no pics but they work awesome.  I appreciate the boards help. 

carjunkie

Okay, so just an after pic, did some striper trolling today, lots of bait, plenty of marks, bluebird sky, couple hits but none to the boat.