100# Rail Set-up: AVET HX / HXW Raptor or AVET EX 30/2?

Started by stoked4fishin, February 29, 2016, 04:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoked4fishin

I'm going on an 8 day trip this October, and will be investing in a 100# Rail set-up.  I'm pretty much set on the Calstar 770XH or 770XXH.  For the reel, I'm considering the AVET HX / HXW Raptor or AVET EX 30/2.  It seems both reels have the drag required, but the EX has more line capacity.  All input is welcome.
Thanks
Jeff

garyal

I would go with the 30 EX2. The HX Raptor will not handle this rod / line weight combination for long. You should also consider the Penn 30 VSX as this is another great reel for 100 lb line class rail rod. Bullet proof.

conchydong

If you are open to other options, a Makaira 20 SEA seems to be a very popular choice for fishing 100lb, topshots. 

akfish

Actually, I believe the HX Raptor has a higher drag rating that the EX 30/2. The Raptor has a higher high gear (%.4:1 vs. 3.2:1) and almost the same low gear (1.9:1 vs.2.0:1). The wide version holds lots a bit more line and is lighter in weight. But it costs more.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

For 100# I would go with the 30, I use my HXJ Raptor for 60 and 80.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

I made a typo: The HX Raptor has 5.4:1 and 1.9:1 gears. I was correct that it has a higher drag rating. And the two reels both hold 460 yards of 130# braid. The HX Raptor is great for big tuna jigging because of the fast gears.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

boon

I had to go and google what a rail set-up was. What a curious concept.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

IMO a Avet HX non Raptor is a 60 lb test reel max, better as a 50 lb test reel. Now the HXW Raptor would make a good picky bite reel fishing mid day with 80 to 100 lb toppers. Let me state this a 100 lb is pushing the reel a bit but if there is not true cows (200 plus lb tuna) around the Raptor HXW will make a fine reel for tuna 100 to 160 lbs. Now on a 8 day cow sized fish are not the norm but can be found sometimes. Like others have stated a 30 sized Penn VSX, Avet 30 EX, Accurate ATD 30, Okuma Makaira 20 and such are more towards my liking for a true 100 lb reel.

stoked4fishin

Yep Mark, you are tall!  See on the SOA in June!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

stoked4fishin

Thanks SoCalAngler
I'm looking at an 8 day at The Rocks, so I'll be STOKED to get in to a 100#r!  I'm really wanting light weight, and that's why I'm so interested in the HX/HXW.  I've got 3 other AVET Raptors, and love 'em!

stoked4fishin

Based on my experience with AVET and the line capacity they claim, I think you actually get ~80% of what they indicate for a given # test.  Based on that, I would expect to be able to get 500yds of 100# Seaguar Threadlock on the HX Raptor.  Do you think that would be sufficient for YFT up to 150#s?

bill19803

500  yds  of  spectra   will  handle most  any   fish   you  encounter except a true   cow.. remember  largest  yft ever caught rod and reel was on a  30 wide international ii 

MarkT

I've done 10 dayers the last couple of years that leave at the end of Sept so fishing the first 8 days of Oct.  We haven't seen anything other than Wahoo over the low 30's during that time. Wahoo at the rocks, no YFT.  Most YFT have come from the Ridge.  I haven't needed anything over 50# although I had a Mak 16 Sea with 80#.  I left the 20 Sea at home.  Hoping for bigger this year!

I have SX, JX and HX Raptors.  I use the SX for 30#, JX for 50# and the HX for 50# too although I can switch it out to 60 or 80.  I have 500yds of 80# spectra with room for a good top shot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stoked4fishin

Thanks Mark, that's all the input I need!
HX Raptor it is!  Now, just to get the $$$ ;D