Strictly Come Casting with Alain Storey

Started by alantani, February 13, 2011, 10:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Willy:  Is there somewhere on the internet where I can learn how to get 200 yd distance out of a surf pole.  I have surf fished in Cabo and it is great fun.  Gettin out beyond the 3 and 4th wave is the key to catching Crevalle and Rooster fish.  I would really like to know some of the secrets.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Hey Alain,

That was some funny stuff, but in all fairness I've seen people do that while casting an 8 and bait off a jetty... now that ain't pretty... oh yeah it was me! I didn't have any skin left on my right knee and a contusion on my hip for a month.  However, when I did it people weren't laughing they wee pickin' my #### out of the rocks... ya live and learn... I was twelve and haven't done it since. When you flew back it looked like you hooked up with a pick up truck while he was leaving the tournament  ;D
Dom

willybendit

Hi  Dominick       see if you can find a book called   long range casting  by paul kerry   over in the uk we have monthly fishing magazines that show you how cast   its not hard   its technique  balance  And power  all rolled into one  smooth cast that can reach a long distance    send over your email address ill see if i can find the basics  to get you started       the tackle req   beach fishing rod  12/13ft  small casting reel  ABU 6500   0.31 main line  0.75 shock leader  150g lead wheight    tightlines Alain     ive just been on you-tube  type in  (  Tournament casting  )    ground cast   Fundamentals     this is where you start          tournament casting can become additive   

Alto Mare

That is pretty cool, but Dominick, if the west coast is anything like the north east, I would recommend that we stick with our fishing style. I do a little surf fishing around mid november when stripers are running, boaters like to get closer to the jettys also, with that type of cast we could kill someone or sink their boat. At over 200yds. that weight is coming at you like a bullet!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: willybendit on February 15, 2011, 05:54:26 AM
Hi  Dominick       see if you can find a book called   long range casting  by paul kerry   over in the uk we have monthly fishing magazines that show you how cast   its not hard   its technique  balance  And power  all rolled into one  smooth cast that can reach a long distance    send over your email address ill see if i can find the basics  to get you started       the tackle req   beach fishing rod  12/13ft  small casting reel  ABU 6500   0.31 main line  0.75 shock leader  150g lead wheight    tightlines Alain     ive just been on you-tube  type in  (  Tournament casting  )    ground cast   Fundamentals     this is where you start          tournament casting can become additive   
Can you post it for everyone?  I've been watching YouTube again and am amazed with the Brits casting 150+ yards on a spinner as well, and am facinated with casting surf rods since I was a kid.  Best case for me was 100 yards using 50# test, 30# lead line, 5 oz lead, on a 13' Fenwick 1698 (???) surf rod.  If I can learn to get it out there an extra 50 yards, wow, the possibilities...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

yeah bryan never mind ulua, you could cast for ono down milolii

willybendit

Hi Bryan     if you can cast 100 yards with the tackle you used    im sure you`ll  do 130/150 yards  with the grear we use      we have weight classes   125g (4 oz)    0.28 main line      150g (5.3 oz)  0.31  main line  & 175 g (6.2 oz)  0.35 main line      i cast the 150g weight  with 0.31 main line and 0.75  shockleader              shockleader   MUST  be used  at all times   now thread the leader through your rod       To join the main line to the leader  you heat the end of the leader up with a match to form a blob  then you twist your main line down the leader 4 times and bring the Tag end  up  to the blob  form a loop and trap with your finger and thum now twist 4 times inside the loop and wet the line  pull to form a knott  now slide  upto the Blob   now pull very tight  trim the loose tag off   now put your reel onto your rod   wind the leader knott  to one side of the spool and put 4 turns on then run back across  you should now have 8 turns on leader on your spool  in a criss cross   now cut  the leader off a foot above your reel   now you can put your lead weight on     i use a uni knott    ill try and post pictures  with a step by step instruction  if its needed         regards Alain

Alto Mare

Good idea to post some pictures Willy, you lost me the same way I got lost as I was  trying to learn square dancing. ???
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Okay all you surf fishing fans.  I went to our old friend Google and asked about surf casting.  It came up with this pretty good tutorial.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v14951073rRb8Sr2x This is a good start.  The instructor gives the basics of equipment.  I thought he did a very good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Hey Alto,

I didn't think of all the boats I could pay back for their kindness during a bunker/ striper blitz in the spring from the jetty... I'm going to Dominick's casting instructions page to figure this "art of beaning boats thing" out... I'm sure cooler heads will prevail  ::) ;D
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I'm glad I moved my boat on the chesapeake.

Bryan Young

Alan, I'm thinking of trying for Halibut from the surf at Santa Cruz Harbor.  They should be within striking distance early in the morning.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

willybendit

Hi All     Pescachaser     that clip is old school you will lean nothing    go back to youtube and type in Tournament casting   you need to watch   Breakaway tackle    then come down   look for long cast fundamentals  start here   how many can tie the leader knot we will go back     you will need spool  0.31 or 15lbs mainline   &  a spool of 0.75 or 80lbs leader line     now heat up the end of the leader with a match to form a Blob then twist your main line 4 times round the leader bring the tag end back upto the Blob to form a loop  trap with finger and thumb then twist 4 times inside the loop   wet the line and pull tight slowly   You Should have a nice neat knot    now hold the leader in your left hand and your main line in your right and pull the knot upto the Blob   and pull real tight    trim off the tag end                      I only wish you lads lived near  England      id pop over      anyone stuck   email me   (alain@dash.fsbusiness.co.uk)         once we get going ill Show / teach you how to tie Fishing end rigs that will pull a donkey out of a mud hole  Ha Ha  Regards Alain       i hope to show pictures later on today

Bryan Young

Check out this.  Show many different styles in one video.