Interested in starting 9/0 build

Started by Macarps, March 09, 2016, 01:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macarps

So I was thinking about purchasing the 114H gear kit from smooth drag. Would I be able to use the stock 9/0 pinion with the main gear provided in the kit?

RowdyW

Quote from: Macarps on April 09, 2016, 10:44:31 PM
So I was thinking about purchasing the 114H gear kit from smooth drag. Would I be able to use the stock 9/0 pinion with the main gear provided in the kit?
No, the new ss gears are spiral cut & won't match up with the Penn gear. Either use the original set or the complete 9/0 ss set. You can look around for a original heat treated main gear to use with the original ss pinion. Mix & match is a Rube Goldberg setup. What are you trying to achieve?

Macarps

Well I noticed the gear set was for sale for 114h. I heard the 114 and 115 have same main gear but different pinion. I want to buy the gear set from smooth drag but I can't seem to find just the ss aftermarket pinion. Guess I will just stop being lazy and buy each piece individually :)

RowdyW

If you want ss gears buy them as a set (9/0 is available check with Black Pearl). If you want original steel main gear & ss pinion you can get the pinion gear from Scott's & you will have to shop around for either a used or NOS steel main gear. The only main gear that Penn supplies is bronze. The steel gear is obsolete but they can be picked up from members here or ebay or wherever. What's in the reel right now??

Shark Hunter

I really don't think these aftermarket gears are available in the individual form.
You either buy them in a set or you don't.
I think Scotts has them.
You either buy a set for the 115L or the 114H.
You can still use the original steel gears with the insert.
Life is Good!

Macarps

I ordered the set and the washers separate. I was just trying to kill two stones with one bird. Everything is on its way. I think at this point I just need a nice big t bar handle, some good grease (i have aqua shield, what do you guys think about using that) and need to figure out this double dog dremel madness. I purchase regular bronze dogs. Will this be an issue running a stainless sleeve?

Shark Hunter

The dogs might wear quicker on that ss sleeve, but I think you'll be fine with the brass.
You say you ordered washers separate. Are you running a conventional drag stack with the Black Pearl gears?
Life is Good!

Macarps

I'm going to be using black pearl gears with smooth drag carbon fiber setup.

Shark Hunter

10-4, That setup will be nice, but I would go with Adam's insert to make it all it can be.
There is nothing wrong with your choice, Its Just my opinion.
Life is Good!

Macarps

That's the insert drag kit? I think I read that he was taking names for the next batch? That's just an insert that fits into the main gear that you can load with cf washers built for the insert?

DaBigOno

Quote from: Macarps on April 11, 2016, 01:35:38 AM
That's the insert drag kit? I think I read that he was taking names for the next batch? That's just an insert that fits into the main gear that you can load with cf washersbthat for the insert?

But the drag created is doubled...  but your gonna have to wait a little until he has the available.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.0

but, like Daron said,  nothing wiring with your 1st choice.  just another option if you want more drag.

Theres also another option, but you're gonna have to check with Bryan if he has any in stock...
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12788.0
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Macarps

Ya I have signed up for the insert drag kit for next batch. I can't wait to get my hands on that. For the meantime I am going to stick with the smooth 5 drag set and feel this first build out. Learning a lot day by day as I am anticipating all my parts to arrive. Ordered this when I could have ordered that kind of thing. I certainly intend to max this reel out though. If not this one, definitely the next. I think this is going to get pretty addictive...

DaBigOno

Quote from: Macarps on April 11, 2016, 01:59:41 AM
Ya I have signed up for the insert drag kit for next batch. I can't wait to get my hands on that. For the meantime I am going to stick with the smooth 5 drag set and feel this first build out. Learning a lot day by day as I am anticipating all my parts to arrive. Ordered this when I could have ordered that kind of thing. I certainly intend to max this reel out though. If not this one, definitely the next. I think this is going to get pretty addictive...

Cool,  I guess we're all looking forward of some pic of your progress.  We're cheering you on, and are here to help.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Macarps

Alright. I have pretty much received everything less the handle and arm. I figured I would start building her up. First was my old bridge with my new ss sleeve. I applied the sleeve to the bridge inserted the bridge pin, which was far more difficult than I thought it would be and now the sleeve will not spin on the bridge. Any one encounter this issue?

Shark Hunter

Oh,
Tiny grasshoppa  ;D, Welcome to the world of hot rodding reels. Sometimes they just go right together. Sometimes not.
You have two options. File down the pin, so that the sleeve spins freely, or sand down the end of the sleeve.
Personally, when I run into this problem, I swap the bridge with a different one and Wala!
I've probably built two dozen 9/0's tricked out to the nines. It takes patience.(and money)
Your Buddy Ryan's was no disappointment in the sometimes not factor, but I knew just what to do.
You need anything, just ask us. Experience makes perfect. ;)
Life is Good!