Trevala Rod for 25-30 #

Started by Keta, March 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I am taking a Fathom 12 this year.  No trolling rig.  I also have 2 Penn spinners.  Work is a four letter word but income is nice to have for a change.  It looks like I will be "working" for 3 or 4 more days.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on March 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM
I am looking for a rod to put a Shimano OCEA Calcutta 300HG reel on and want a Trevala, my problem is no one close stocks them to "feel".  Any suggestions for a rod (Trevala only) for fishing iron?  I will be using it for albacore and a light YT rig for the June LR trip.

Any suggestions on a 6'6" blank if I decide to build another "club" for this?

thats a beautiful reel Lee, I wouldnt mine owning one of those or the OCEA jigger reel

I know you already have your rod, I have a 5.8 XXH trevala and its paired with a calcutta 400TE, I like short rods and this seems to work really nice with the calcutta reel.

good luck with this combo on Cedros
The Baja Guy

Keta

My go to salmon reel is a Calcutta 400TE.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on June 09, 2016, 08:27:05 PM
My go to salmon reel is a Calcutta 400TE.

By the way, what rods do you use when fishing salmon on Oregon when using the calcutta 400TE?

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Did you use the Trevala on the 5 day?  For what and how did it do?  I want to get something for jigging with the Valiant 300.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

No, I could not put my Stickfish built Hercules with MX down.  They work well for albacore.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on March 12, 2016, 05:51:39 PM
The reel is capable of a bit over 13# (6kg) of drag but line capacity is small.  I somehow got my hands on a JDM Shimano OCEA Calcutta..... ;D

http://www.shimano.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/jdm/jdm-reels/ocea-calcutta.html

did you ever used this reel Lee?

I love my calcutta 400TE and this is suposed to be an upgrade from the TE series (JDM Japanese Market)
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I picked up a Trevala tfc58mh.  It's a prototype but looks like a factory rod. Should work well for jigging with my bv-300 or even a Calcutta TE300.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Not for salmon Alex but it worked good for bottom fish.

Mark Twain

steelfish

I have never fished salmon so, can I ask whats the difference when fishing for salmon and bottom fishing in which that reel was better suited?
The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on March 02, 2017, 04:59:44 PM
I have never fished salmon so....

We can fix that :0)

Salmon run and fight in the top 1/3 of the water, bottom fish just pull.

Mark Twain