Newell 300 Series Aluminum Side Plates - SOLD OUT

Started by Bryan Young, March 16, 2016, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

this is one amazing family of 300 series reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bmf3000

anyone else experiencing the belleville washer set below the plate? what washer can I use to shim out far enough for the star to make contact?

bigggfish

This isn't a problem with this plates.  it is common to all Newell builds.  It depends on the bridge plate, the gears, the bridge sleeve, and the plates.  Ulua junkies is the fastest cheapest Ive found for the best shims.
They are called "Newell Stainless Steel Lock Washers"  $5.75 for four   

Here is the link:

http://uluajunkies.com

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 12, 2016, 01:12:10 AM
Quote from: David Hall on August 01, 2016, 01:10:34 PM
Those came out beautiful, but I don't have a single Newell reel? 
I feel your pain David. Anything Tom makes is top Notch, but I haven't a Single Newell either.

Same here...I need to add one to the stable too. 8)

Great lookin' reel Joe!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Finally completed my build. Here is the comparison from a completely stock and aluminum side plates S332-5. The aluminum side plate reel is 0.30 oz heavier.  I call this success and goal reached.

Thank you to Cortez Conversions for making these with my demanding specifications.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

looks good. i like the blacked out look, kinda like a blackie. thinking maybe I shoulda got a black kit instead of silver...

thorhammer

Got to hold one last night. Bryan and Tom killed it with this one.  Sccchhwwrreeeeeeet

lava rocks

Can't wait for the 500's and 400's to get started , would really like to bomb proof my reels!

Great Bass 2

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the awesome side plates. I couldn't get my Tiburon 322 or Newell P322 spool to work on my Tiburon 322 frame and Cortez Conversion side plates because the edge of both spools rubbed against the right side plate. I did install the plates successfully on my S332 with Tiburon P29 frame. I have your 5 stack drag and Tiburon handle on the reel. I am going to fish 30# on it paired with a Calstar 800 ML for tossing chovies at albies. On the next run, it might be nice to have Cortez Conversion written on the outside of the plate instead of the inside.

Thanks Scott
Penn - Newell - Avet
Calstar - Seeker - Phenix

Bryan Young

Nice looking reel Scott.

I'm not sure why the spool is rubbing. I have had any issues with any reels built from Blackies (if you change the Jack to s-series. I'm puzzled. Maybe the spools were slightly wider than the frame. Who knows. I'm glad you got it working.

The reason why Cortez Conversions isn't written on the outside is because they are my plates and not offered through Cortez's Conversions. We didn't want to confuse anyone but I did want people to know that the master created them.

I have to put a couple more together with the remaining green sideplates for loaners/sale on our SOA trip next year. These reels will be brand new built from NOS Newell reels.

Happy fishing Scott. Tight lines buddy.

Bryan Young

Thank you everyone for your support

I have essentially sold out on all kits (2 kits are on hold).  Sadly, I didn't keep one each of the colors for my self because people wanted them and I just couldn't say no.

Not sure if we will produce any more but will re-evaluate in the future...onward and forward...  What's next?

Puhi

The 400 & 500 series, I'm pretty sure if you put a poll on it, that would be the most popular.

Swami805

500 series would be great. I'd be in for a few
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

heresmymule

When they become available I would like to purchase one.
Also, If anyone has an exisiting one for sale, I would be interested.

PacRat

Bryan,
Thanks for making these happen. I just want to show this thing off before it gets rashed up. You and Tom have created something special here. You've taken Carl Newell's vision to the next level!
-Mike