Servicing a Penn Senator 118 (16/0)

Started by Alto Mare, February 18, 2011, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 06, 2012, 04:25:36 AM
You can send it to me, will pm you. I just don't want it to go to waste/ get lost since you took the time to make it and it may be a while untill I can finish it.

OK
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on March 05, 2012, 04:57:14 PM
That's some class work Lee.
It's turning into a great thread.
Cheers, Justin
What are you saying Justin. This thread was kind of boring in the beginning? ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dogdad1

Hi -

I'm in the middle of the rebuild for my 118, and got stumped.  Is the stand supposed to be flat across the bottom, except for the smallish concave portion where it fits on the rod? 

To explain, mine has a bow across the entire bottom part (imagine as if someone had dropped it while still on the rod and the weight of the reel had bent/pushed the entire foot upward/inward a little).  I found a clamp & screws in the extra-parts box that came with everything and it's waaay too big for any of the other reels so I'm assuming it's for the 118, but its spacing is wider than the holes in the stand for the 118.

'Alan's Awesome Tutorial' 118 photo makes it look like it may not have the overall concave on the bottom, but I wanted to verify before I got out the sledge and started wailing on it.  And if I flatten out the stand, I'm not sure if the wider dimension will fit between the plates then.

Maybe if someone could post the spacing between the clamp screw-holes that would clarify it for me, please?
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Alto Mare

Hello Dogdad1, yes the stand is supposed to be flat across the bottom, except for the concave that sits on the rod. How much of a bow  do you have? If you place a straightedge accross it, mesure right before the concave. I have seen a few on smaller reels and was able to straighten them out somewhat, but I've never seen it on a 16/0. You need to be careful not to domage it, that stand is close to impossible to find, I would probably take it somewere. If I had one I wouldn't sell it for less than $150, just to give you an idea on how valuable it is. Here are some dimentions, bolt to bolt ( center to center ) is 2 3/4", appr. 71mm and the thickness is a full 1/8", appr. 4mm. Good luck with it, if it is only 1/16" and it doesn't interfere with the spool, I would let it go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dogdad1

I took my question to a new thread, so as to not drag this tutorial off-topic.

Thanks,
Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

thalassa

Did somebody know how to put off the click tongue for replace a broken one ?

Cone

You will have to grind or drill the rivet off to remove the click tongue. You will also need a new click button when you change it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Welcome, Jean-Pierre!
It is much easier now to replace the clicker on the 9/0, no need to peen it.
Do as Bob mentioned above., if you're not comfortable drilling the rivet, grind it down and use a punch to get it out.
Once out, replace it with these parts:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/36-115L2.aspx
You will also need part #35-115 and part #69B-4400.
Enjoy your stay.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mandelstam

Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish Ladies,
Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston
'And we may never see you fair ladies again...

http://www.proparchives.com/action/action-films-1970s/jaws/fishing-rod-reel-from-quints-boat-in-jaws

I'd love to have this on my wall...

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

TheReelShop

Hey Alto Mare, I tried PMing you but I don why it doesn't let me do that. Maybe I'm to new here. I saw this build and I wanted to see if you could help me out with sourcing a SS bridge and the washer plates and carbon fiber washers for me? You can try and PM me  if you want but I cant lol...

Thank You

Alto Mare

Hello Adrian, yes I did get your dozen emails, well actually only three ;D. I have a day job and usually only get on after 4:00pm, sometimes at 12:00 pm when I decide to come home for lunch. I'm waiting for Alan to hire me full time so I could stay on all day ;D.
About the washers, you could get them here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-117.aspx, as stated, you will need (7) total.
If you need metal as well these are at a good price:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/7C-117.aspx
You could also get the washers here, from Dawn:
SmoothDrag.com
About the bridge, we do not have a stainless steel bridge available for that reel, maybe in the future, but not now. I do believe that you meant the stainless steel gear sleeve, if so, those should be available soon, by Tom, you could get some details here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13225.msg132621#msg132621

I hope this is of some help.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

TheReelShop

LoL it wasn't showing me that the message was being delivered😬. Yea I meant the gear sleeve. I will checkup on the links. Thanks Sal

Adrian

williewiskers

What size HT-100 is used under the new stainless main gear? Is it the 6-116? I assume since the 118 and 116L share the same stock under gear fiber washer?

Ty

Alto Mare

Quote from: williewiskers on February 17, 2020, 06:41:35 PM
What size HT-100 is used under the new stainless main gear? Is it the 6-116? I assume since the 118 and 116L share the same stock under gear fiber washer?

Ty
Willie, there is no need for you to post the same question at different areas on the site.
Give it a day or two and someone will usually always answer your question.
The hard fiber washer has a different part #, but you are correct, the 4-116 will work on both, the 116 and 118.
About the carbon fiber washer for under the main gear.
This thread is 9 years old and things do change along the way, as we move along.

I now believe that a Delrin washer would do a much better job there, instead of the carbon fiber washer.
To me this would be on all reels and not just the 118.

With that said, some don't agree with me, they believe a carbon fiber washer for under the gear is a better choice... I leave that up to you as you test it for yourself.

Your next question would probably be where to get the Delrin washer and I have no idea if anyone is offering those, I usually punch my own.

I am getting a little tired making washers for members, I've done many so far for about 5 years, but if you're having a hard time finding one, send me your address on a PM and I'll get one out to you.

I just received a box with a request to cut close to 200 washers of all different sizes.
Please don't anyone do that to someone that is trying to help by offering a couple.
This wasn't the gentleman fault, he had no idea that those would take about 3 hours to complete.
He did want to pay for them, but I told him not to... all is good.

Good luck to you.

Sal

Donnyboat

Your a good man SAL, true OHANA, 200 in 3 hours, it would take me two days, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat