Shimano Tyrno II 50 can I upgrade to increase drag?

Started by Nasty Wendy, March 30, 2016, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

Hey folks I'm looking at getting a 2 speed conventional 50.  The Tyrnos is super affordable (important).  Can the drag be upgraded to increase its potential?  Its rated at 40ish and I plan on spooling with 200lb braid so 50lb-60lb at strike would be nice.  200lb braid would be to tackle evicting Goliath's from their lair.  Plan is to circle hook them with rod in holder and pull them into open water with the boat for the fight.  I do not believe 42 lbs of drag will do that.  I can't justify a high dollar reel for this being we can't keep the fish.  I'd like to experience the fight a time or three......I say that now but I know that may change after the first one.....another reason to not spend a ton.  Oh and the Tyrnos will be put to use for trolling as well where stupid drag numbers aren't needed buy healthy drag numbers come in handy.  Thanks. 
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

handi2

I've worked many of those reels and they are popular but I don't see too much in drag improvement. Hopefully the rod holder can manage that drag pressure. We have done the same thing using our trolling reels (Tiagra 80) with the boat pulling them away.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

i really would not recommend a tyrnos for this application.  perhaps your best bet would be an old penn international II 50 two speed.  better yet, an old 80.  just do an ebay search.  there is a nice one up for sale right now.   50 pounds at strike is really beyond the capacity of the tyrnos.

another option would be a used avet pro 50.  again, just checked ebay.  they are all too expensive. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nasty Wendy

Thanks for the feedback.  I am supposed to be meeting up with a local guy selling a Penn International 80w next week.  I absolutely will snag it up if it passes the eyeball test.  If the price is right then I'll get it and have it 2 speeded'd. <------Sorry Alan I think I broke the site's spell checker. ;D

The Tyrnos was going to be a back up plan if the 80w was junked.

And I will upgrade the rod holders and make sure that me or someone else is assisting the rod holder.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.