Shimano Stella 20000FA

Started by InVision, March 30, 2016, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InVision

Well the folks with the bearing called and all parts I ordered are now discontinued.  I found 4 fiction rings, 3 screw collars, 2 idler gear collars, 1 worm gear spacer, 3 adjusting washers and 1 handle screw cap.  I ordered all they had and now the site says discontinued.  There is one guy parting out a STL 20000FA on eBay but the parts looked really used.  As Fred said, no a great feeling when they discontinue any repair parts on a $1000 reel.

I wish someone had the ball bearings.

Will get parts next week according to USPS.

Mike

MarkT

The FA was the 2003 Stella?  You should be able to measure the bearings and find ones that size somewhere like bocabearing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

InVision

foakes

Just measure ID, OD, Width --

BOCA, Dawn at Smooth Drag -- and nearly any other good bearing supplier can supply these.

It is important to get at least the same quality bearing as a replacement.  There are a lot of cheaper bearings that will seem like they do the trick -- but will not hold up. 

You do not have to spend a lot of $$$ -- but look at the rating code and order appropriately.

That new Kali-Bird thingy Ted gave me works really good for this.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

InVision

GREAT INFO.

I am assuming you want SS not ceramic correct?

Thank you

johndtuttle

Quote from: InVision on April 01, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
GREAT INFO.

I am assuming you want SS not ceramic correct?

Thank you

There really is no use for ceramic bearings in a spinning reel unless nothing else is available, generally speaking. :)

exp2000

Quote from: Ruffy on March 31, 2016, 08:53:10 AM
InVision, I prefer to pack all the bearings in my spinners with grease. They aren't critical to freespool as in a conventional and it doesn't make them much stiffer to crank at all but the corrosion resistance benefit of it is well worth it.

Cheers,
Andrew

X2

By mixing a light grease blende the reel will not be too stiff.

I only use CX in baitcaster spool bearings where maximum freespool is required.
~

InVision

First order from replacement due tomorrow.  Second order for all the parts for the 20000FA that they had in stock is due Friday.  Seems like a good place to order, of course most all parts are Discontinued.  I really need a RD8352.  Not found anywhere.

M

Wolli

Hi M,

i have two Rear Protectors (RD8352) and one Rear Shield (RD8351). Both in best condition without any damage or corrosion.

The only troubles im living in Germany. Do you know anybody who travels next time to Germany? Shipping by courier is very expensive...

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

InVision

Wow.  I wish I knew someone who traveled there.  Any idea how expensive to ship to US Florida 32579?  I would be interested.

M

InVision

Well thanks to some help here I have got the Ol' Stella STL20000FA body rebuilt and lubed.  I put it all together with Reel-X (Except Clutch) and then applied Blue marine grease to gears and lightly brush on worm gear.  The result is the smoothest I think I can ever remember in 20 years of owning the reel.

This week I am going to start on the very complex spool drag system.  I purchased some Cal's Drag grease.

Question:  After I disassemble drag clean bearings and such, where do I actually apply the drag grease?

Thanks again for the help !

M

Wolli

M.

let you know tomorrow.

Wolli

Wolli

Hi M.

its your "birthday"....

just learned that my sister flies end of next week to friends in Kansas.

She takes the parts (Rear Protector, Rear Shiel and the three Screws with her and will mail them to you.

Let me have your complete postal address by PN or Email as soon as possible!

Rgds

Wolli

InVision

Great news.  Sorry for late reply but I was in hospital with a heart issue.  PM sent.  Thank You.

M

Bryan Young

Quote from: InVision on April 14, 2016, 09:08:42 AM
Great news.  Sorry for late reply but I was in hospital with a heart issue.  PM sent.  Thank You.

M
WHAAAAAAAT???

I hope everything is well with you. TAKE CARE!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D