Casting reel for a Kayak

Started by bgreen, April 02, 2016, 03:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Hi

I was wanting a recommendation for a spinning reel suitable for casting a stray line and trolling from a kayak.  As such it needs to be able to stand up to conditions close to the sea, occasional splashes and unplanned immersions in salt water.  I will service regularly but i figure why not get the most suitable reel.  I was wanting a reel not to small or too big... around a 4000 i think.  I currently have a Shimano stradic 2500 c+ and a Diawa Saltiest 4000 Nero.   I like the Saltiest and would be happy to get another but wondering it there is a better choice for similar money.

I would be interested in your thoughts, comments and recommendations.

Cheers Bruce

johndtuttle

Quote from: bgreen on April 02, 2016, 03:37:35 AM
Hi

I was wanting a recommendation for a spinning reel suitable for casting a stray line and trolling from a kayak.  As such it needs to be able to stand up to conditions close to the sea, occasional splashes and unplanned immersions in salt water.  I will service regularly but i figure why not get the most suitable reel.  I was wanting a reel not to small or too big... around a 4000 i think.  I currently have a Shimano stradic 2500 c+ and a Diawa Saltiest 4000 Nero.   I like the Saltiest and would be happy to get another but wondering it there is a better choice for similar money.

Cheers Bruce

The yak environment is going to be really, really tough on any reel and neither one of those would be an ideal choice primarily as they are wide open at the top of the pinion assembly to salt splashes. This will lead to problems with the anti-reverse and bearings in all likelihood despite your best efforts.

The most completely sealed spinning reels for short money are going to be the Shimano Spheros in a 5k (a little bigger than your target) but will do very well against splashes when regularly maintained (ie oil for the line roller and handle etc) and with a sealed body and pinion assembly too. Around $ 185.

Another alternative would be the Penn Clash in a 3000 size (about the same as a Shimano 4k). This reel is well sealed under the rotor but will need more regular care of the body (easy to open, 4 screws). If you shop Amazon or Ebay it can be found around $150.

Reels under this price point like the Penn Battle II/SSV can be made to work with diligent greasing of the pinion assembly and vigilance of the body. Fishing out of a yak is going to test whatever you buy.

bgreen

Thanks John for the very quick and informative reply.  I think i would prefer the Penn clash 3000 mainly in relation to the size.  I have seen good reports on that reel here(New Zealand) too in kayak forums and its getting solid feedback and is reasonably priced via ebay.  Local prices seem quite high.

Re the kayak environment.. yes is harsh indeed. Have learnt its worth getting gear as suitable as possible.  I will wait a bit longer and hopefully hear endorsements from others or their thoughts/preferences... thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers bruce

redsetta

Welcome aboard Bruce.
John's spot on, and I'm sure others will endorse the advice.
Only as a counterpoint, I'll throw in the Abu 5600 C4 for consideration.
In my experience - chasing snapper etc from kayak and SUP - it ticks all the boxes (aside from not being a spinner of course) ;)
It's pretty much the 'right horse for the course' when it comes to "harsh environments".
Good luck with the selection process.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bgreen

Quote from: redsetta on April 02, 2016, 05:56:35 AM
Welcome aboard Bruce.
John's spot on, and I'm sure others will endorse the advice.
Only as a counterpoint, I'll throw in the Abu 5600 C4 for consideration.
In my experience - chasing snapper etc from kayak and SUP - it ticks all the boxes (aside from not being a spinner of course) ;)
It's pretty much the 'right horse for the course' when it comes to "harsh environments".
Good luck with the selection process.
All the best, Justin

Thanks Justin that is great to know... while i need a spinning reel at present will look at that as a boat reel option.. thanks for the advice and endorsement!  Looks like i will be parting with cash sooner than i thought!  Cheers

handi2

I have to service many Kayak reels because it's really big in our area and I live very close to the ocean. Most here use the Penn SSV reels. They are sealed much better but you still have to take very good care of them.

In our summer months Sailfish, Black fin Tuna, and Wahoo are caught just off the beach.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: bgreen on April 02, 2016, 03:37:35 AM
Hi

Cheers Bruce

shimano triton 100g or tld star 15/30.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bgreen

Quote from: handi2 on April 02, 2016, 03:21:16 PM
I have to service many Kayak reels because it's really big in our area and I live very close to the ocean. Most here use the Penn SSV reels. They are sealed much better but you still have to take very good care of them.

In our summer months Sailfish, Black fin Tuna, and Wahoo are caught just off the beach.

Thanks Handi2.... another one i will look into... when you say sealed much better are you meaning in relation to the Penn Clash in a 3000?

Fishing there must be a dream... while i am on the coast.. fishing here is not that flash at the moment... too much trawler attention i think!

bgreen

Quote from: alantani on April 02, 2016, 05:37:40 PM

shimano triton 100g or tld star 15/30.

Thanks Allen i should have said i have 2 of the TR200g also and agree they are great... bullet proof and easy to work on .. and cheap to replace if need be!

One more question re the Penn Clash in a 3000 size.  I see on ebay you can get a penn clash CLA3000AU from hong kong... is this the same model as others advertise... CLA3000?

Thanks again everyone

handi2

Yes when comparing the Clash and SSV the Clash is only sealed under the rotor cup. I have the pictures somewhere. They did a great job of sealing up the pinion gear, roller clutch, and the 2 pinion gear bearings. No seals anywhere else.

The SSV reels have seals on all openings.

I'll will add though many Stradic's and other Shimano spinning reels have been dropped off after taking a dunk. They had been serviced by me before. No water was inside any of them. Sand and water under the rotor and other outer parts but not inside. Their bodies for tight.

The problem with the Shimanos is the open roller clutch right under the rotor with no protection at all.

Quote from: bgreen on April 02, 2016, 07:47:51 PM
Quote from: handi2 on April 02, 2016, 03:21:16 PM

Thanks Handi2.... another one i will look into... when you say sealed much better are you meaning in relation to the Penn Clash in a 3000?

Fishing there must be a dream... while i am on the coast.. fishing here is not that flash at the moment... too much trawler attention i think!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bgreen

Thanks handi2 been looking on line at your suggestion and they do look a good reel.  Just wondering re the 3500 or the 4500 SSV what would be closer in size to the Daiwa 4000 saltiest Nero i have already.. don't really want to go bigger than this.  They have a Live liner version of the SSV 4500 on sale at present for NZ$179 which is $100 cheeper than i could get the Penn clash for from ebay.  

Thanks for your advice

Three se7ens

Another option to consider is the Shimano spheros SW.  Its fully sealed, and will tolerate getting dunked better than almost anything in its price range. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: bgreen on April 03, 2016, 01:55:22 AM
Thanks handi2 been looking on line at your suggestion and they do look a good reel.  Just wondering re the 3500 or the 4500 SSV what would be closer in size to the Daiwa 4000 saltiest Nero i have already.. don't really want to go bigger than this.  They have a Live liner version of the SSV 4500 on sale at present for NZ$179 which is $100 cheeper than i could get the Penn clash for from ebay.  

Thanks for your advice

I think the SSV and the Clash are both solid choices with a little different service needs.

1. The Clash has better sealing of the pinion assembly. But the body has to be well greased and watched.

2. The SSV has better sealing of the body but the pinon assembly under the rotor has to be well greased and watched.

3. The SSV has a better drag, but the Clash drag is totally adequate for this size of reel.

4. The Clash has a better gear train which reflects it's slightly higher price.

Approach either one with a good idea of how to keep it alive on a Yak with good maintenance and you will do well.

bgreen

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 03, 2016, 03:19:01 AM
Quote from: bgreen on April 03, 2016, 01:55:22 AM

Thanks for your advice

I think the SSV and the Clash are both solid choices with a little different service needs.

1. The Clash has better sealing of the pinion assembly. But the body has to be well greased and watched.

2. The SSV has better sealing of the body but the pinon assembly under the rotor has to be well greased and watched.

3. The SSV has a better drag, but the Clash drag is totally adequate for this size of reel.

4. The Clash has a better gear train which reflects it's slightly higher price.

Approach either one with a good idea of how to keep it alive on a Yak with good maintenance and you will do well.

Thanks John and everyone else... i have decided to go for the Penn V Series Spinfisher SSV 4500.  A good deal and considerably less than alternatives suggested available at present in New Zealand.  The live bait feature sounded useful too.. thanks again!

bgreen

So I got one of the recommended reels.. Penn V Series Spinfisher SSV 4500 and it looks great and seems great and while I have it spooled with braid I haven't got out to actively fish with it.  The reel seems to be well lubricated out of the factory with blue marine grease.  But I am wondering is there anything I should be doing in the way of preventative maintenance prior to taking it into the kayak environment or is it good to go as is.

Cheers bruce