New Work Bench

Started by Bill B, April 05, 2016, 01:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Been here in this house two years and finally got around to making a work bench.....used hard board and plywood for the top, a peg board for the hanging tools, used lumber for the frame, and a vise.....was on a budget, but was able to do it for about $40, already had the peg board hooks....simple and functional.  Still need to run power, gonna grab it from an outlet on the other side of the wall.  Above the bench I put up a wire closet rack for storing the rods.  The reels reside in the gun safe....Best of all its close to the beer fridge in the garage.... ;D.....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

anglingarchitect

Nice good photo looks organized.

My Garage looks like a bomb went off,

I'm a horder, for

repurposing into yard art.

My fist attempt at Gyotaku.

sdlehr

Quote from: TARFU on April 05, 2016, 01:41:29 AM
Best of all its close to the beer fridge in the garage.... ;D.....Bill
After all, one must have priorities....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Hey I will take that basket case in the lower left corner and help remove some of the cluttmer ;D....

Alto Mare

Nice Bill, everything looks neat...love the reels as well.

Mark, that garage is probably loaded with some good stuff, too bad you'll never be able to find out ;D.
I thought I was bad, now I feel better :)
Nice job on that gyotaku, I think it looks great.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Your new bench looks great, Bill -- good organization.

Mark's garage may look full of clutter -- but he may like it that way -- nothing wrong with that.

We can see he has a lot of strong interests -- and I admire that.

Mark's area has a tremendous amount of potential -- for a very small investment in time, money, and thinking.

This would be my idea -- probably not Mark's -- but just so others could see what could be done very easily -- immediately giving one room to work, uncovering projects, and keeping things "fluid" for the future as one changes his priorities and plan.

FIrst--

Buy about 60 large plastic containers from Target or Wal-Mart, for stacking on shelves -- about $6 each.

Buy 4 sets of HD metal shelves with wood inserts -- 72'H, 3'W, 18"D -- just so they work with the containers - about $60 each.

Determine your priorities -- motorcycles, mechanical, metalworking, woodworking, craft, fishing, etc.

Grab all of the hand tools, small power tools -- put them in containers -- mark with a green star.

Grab all of the items laying around -- put them in two container categories -- stuff I have not used in the last few years, and am not likely to use in the next year -- just throw these in a box and mark the box with a red star -- for things I may use in the next year, but am not sure -- throw them in a box -- mark with a blue star.

You have three walls and a ceiling to work with now --

Strip down the walls to bare -- install 8'X4' sheets of 1/4" white pegboard on all 3 walls.  This will give you opportunities for hanging items, a lot more reflective light, and a neat appearance -- even if you cover up these surfaces later -- you will be glad you have these in place --  $20 each.

At this point, if you have a need for power, make a run of quad Raco boxes around all three walls -- surface mounted and attached -- 20A -- quad boxes -- coming off of a dedicated spare circuit or two -- all in emt conduit -- 4' off the floor -- every 6'.  If you are in the least bit unsure about your ability to handle this aspect -- get a professional electrician -- many fires are caused by the wrong gauge wire, improper wiring, overloaded circuits, etc..  Any circuits used for your shop, should come off of your main panel or a sub-panel (a good idea) -- a direct line "home run" -- not a powered circuit somewhere that you tie into.  That is how fires can occur.  About $400 - $500 to do it right.

Also run a 240V 30 amp single dedicated circuit for perhaps welding, or a larger air compressor, etc. -- included in above electric cost already.

Also run wiring to the ceiling for hanging flourescent fixtures -- these should be hard wired as well -- not plugged in. Cost included in wall wiring already.  Lights are about $25 each for 8' fixtures -- 4 double 8' tubes would do it.

Assemble the shelves all on one side for easy access -- put the containers on them -- all marked as to color prioritiy, contents, etc. -- tools, stuff, more stuff.

Now divide the garage into work areas -- fishing, motorcycles, woodworking, metal working, crafts, etc.

Set up at least 2, maybe three work benches --

Set up vertical rod racks for organization, quick selection, protection, and display.

So, if anyone had a garage this size -- and was starting from scratch without any of the needed items -- $2000 and your labor would take care of most of this.  Less if you already had some of the stuff.

Now it looks like Mark already has much of this stuff -- but this is for folks who may want to do something like this.  Plus, there are dozens of variations one can do.

The main thing, to my thought --

Do not become overwhelmed -- it is just a garage with stuff in it -- approach project sensibly -- with a master plan -- and process for getting it done.

On the "red star boxes" -- remember, if not used in the next year -- get rid of them -- you do not need the clutter or waste of space for storing items that will never be used.

So we all need to be brutally honest with ourselves, here...

This is a fun project, not very expensive, super useful, and if you decide to do some organization -- post your stories and pics for all to see.

This will not work for everyone -- but it may work for some, in this form, or something that works better for you.

This can give anyone a good starting shop foundation -- which they can then personalize for their own preferences.

Few little things I have done to personalize mine --

Every quad Raco box contains (2) 20 amp duplex plugs -- but each is on a separate 20 amp circuit.  If using multiple high drawing tools at the same time -- no issues.

Every bench or power tool work station has its own tape measure with a place for it to always stay.

Every bench or power tool work station also has a simple multiple pencil holder made from PVC, attached near the tape measure.

There is an old fashioned crank pencil sharpener in the shop also.

My wife laughs about my organization (too anal) -- but she likes to just go find exactly what she needs when doing a project -- and is happy to have it organized.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

Been here in this house two years and finally got around to making a work bench.....used hard board and plywood for the top, a peg board for the hanging tools, used lumber for the frame, and a vise.....was on a budget, but was able to do it for about $40, already had the peg board hooks....simple and functional.  Still need to run power, gonna grab it from an outlet on the other side of the wall.  Above the bench I put up a wire closet rack for storing the rods.  The reels reside in the gun safe....Best of all its close to the beer fridge in the garage.... ;D.....Bill

Lookin good  8)

Marc..

STRIPER LOU

Home Depot has shoe box size plastic storage boxes for .98 cents. They work out very well for the smaller stuff. New bench looks great by the way!
..................... Lou

sdlehr

Is that an autoclave/pressure cooker in the middle of the lower shelf of the bench?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Looks like a pressurized paint sprayer canister.

Bill B

Rowdy you're correct, a pressure pot for spray painting, my father in law was a master wood worker and used this in his factory for spraying lacquer and other clear coats....when he closed his factory the big stuff was sold and a few little machines and stuff he kept....he was able to pass along many pieces of wood working advice to me before he passed....I watched him build some bathroom cabinets on a pair of saw horse, with nothing but a skill saw and router...was amazing...