155, 155M, 155L Light Tackle Casting/surf reel/Beachmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

This reel was first listed in the Penn catalog of 1939 as a light tackle casting reel and would hold 200 yards of #9 linen line. In 1941 the catalog description was changed to a light tackle "surf" reel; likely a marketing strategy. In the 1952-53 Penn catalog the name was changed to the Beachmaster.
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

The 155 introduction is tricky. It is introduced in 1939; but, not until the second edition of the 1939 catalog. This is one of those confusing points that stumped collectors for years. Many 1939 #7 catalogs do not show the 155 in their pages.

I have never seen a color cover printed in the second edition. Only the plain cover box catalogs had a second printing.

Bill B

OK so my favorite UPS driver shows up with a recent auction purchase, a Model 155, and realizing you can never be sure of what you are getting when buying from an auction, low and behold it was a non-numbered Model 155 with three strand linen (?) line....not a perfect specimen, the handle nut was buggered with needle nose pliers, but NO NUMBERS!!!!...with a light house tail plate and stippled handle plate, counter weight does not have a coin edge, but WooHooo, my first pre-war reel....I know this through Mike's book, but the question is did the 155 have the same tail plate picture through out, and was the "Beach Master" name ever on the reel?  Also, what to do with the linen line... ???

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Nice!! strip line and wash in Dawn, then reline and park that baby on a split bamboo surf rod or at least an ole-skool Harnell and hang it!!!

foakes

Great little reel, Bill --

If you are going to display it, the old linen line makes a nice display -- like John sez.

If you are going to use it -- strip off the line -- but save it for another old display reel -- then spool up with mono.

The experts will chime in about the names and such, Mike, Ray, Ted, John, and others.

If you do not have a non-numbered handle nut -- let me know, I should have one to send you.

I know that handle is a little pitted -- but it is a beautiful example of the old marbled green.  Most of the 155s have amber, ivory, yellow, or red.  I really like the green, particulary that one.

Good find.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Quotethe question is did the 155 have the same tail plate picture through out, and was the "Beach Master" name ever on the reel?

The picture plate is very common to the Beachmaster; but, there could be examples with a Stippled tail plate also. I do not believe the beach Master name was ever placed on the reel itself.

That is a very nice example of the model, looks like a 1940's, possibly pre-war; but more than likely late 1940's. Very difficult to say exactly what year with a box or catalog.

Dustin0330

Were all of the left hand retrieve 155 models marked 155LH?

Penn Chronology

QuoteWere all of the left hand retrieve 155 models marked 155LH?

Early models were not marked on the reel. The early markings were on the box. Later reels were marked LH. The marking of the Left Hand reel side plates sort of coincided with the beginnings of Penn Part Numbers. I do not think any pre-war Penn reels had Left Hand markings on the reels.

Dustin0330

Thanks for the reply! Here's some pics of the one I just received. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these vintage penns.

Bill B

That's gonna be a good looking reel after a clean up.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the reply! Here's some pics of the one I just received. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these vintage penns.

Early Penn reels were made different from the later marked left hand reels. If you open the reel, you may find a very weird left hand set up. More modern left hand reels move the dog over to the other side of the bridge housing. Early left hand reels leave the dog mounted to the same screw; but change the way the dog engages.

Dustin0330

This one has the weird left hand setup. It's mounted on the same screw as all the other right hand reels I have. I'll snap some pics of the dog setup and post them here next time I have it apart. Any idea on a year range for this reel?

Penn Chronology

Here is an example of an early left hand Penn reel.

The left hand dog arrangement  is on the right. Yours may be like this.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dustin0330 on August 01, 2016, 10:05:50 PM
Any idea on a year range for this reel?
It's got no part numbers, no number stamp on the foot, a Hershey kiss clicker and a handle with a tall, coin-edged counter-weight. Looks like an early 40's reel to me. Hopefully someone else will come along if there is a way to nail it any closer. No idea if there is any documentation about when they redesigned the head plate and started putting LH dogs on the opposite post...

Sid
Sid Lehr