155, 155M, 155L Light Tackle Casting/surf reel/Beachmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDeereMoxie

I think this is a 30 lb reel is that correct? Also I have no idea how to cast a reel like this, I've used spinners my whole life, any advice? Thanks

RowdyW

How do you rate a 30# reel? Will it hold 30# line-yes, it will also hold 130# braid. Will it hold 30# of drag-no. The usual is 15-25# mono for surf casting but you can use any kind or weight line that you want to. You could even use 65# braid which is about the same diameter as 15# mono. But is it a 30# reel---no. If you need a 30# reel step up to at least a Jigmaster at a minimum.

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: RowdyW on August 20, 2016, 09:20:36 PM
How do you rate a 30# reel? Will it hold 30# line-yes, it will also hold 130# braid. Will it hold 30# of drag-no. The usual is 15-25# mono for surf casting but you can use any kind or weight line that you want to. You could even use 65# braid which is about the same diameter as 15# mono. But is it a 30# reel---no. If you need a 30# reel step up to at least a Jigmaster at a minimum.

I'm a newbie, this is my grandfather's old reel, honestly I don't know much of what you're talking about :/ I found the manual online:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennBeachmaster.aspx#specs

Guessing the max of 30lb mono line is 250 yards?

Also what is the best way to oil the gears? I tried taking the handle off and getting into the gear box but the handle bottle is on solid.  Thank you all for the help. Here's a pic of it cleaned up a bit better:

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

RowdyW

Look for a totorial on your reel on this site on how to service your particular reel. Also you will have to get the proper tools & supplies together before disassembling the reel. You will need the proper wrenches & screwdrivers to start with. Then you will need the right oils, greases, & cleaners. By the way the gears take Marine Grease not oil. Marine Grease should be used to guard against saltwater intrusion, corrosion, & lubication. Marine compatable oils should also be used in the right locations. The screw that holds the handle on will come off with the proper wrench. The outer circumference of screws will have to be removed to remove the plate for servicing. Then after the plate is removed you can remove the 4 screws in the center on the raised portion of the plate & everything will drop out. Disassemble on a clean work table with a cloth underneth to catch the small parts that come out, especially the tiny AR dog spring. Then clean all the parts, lube, & reassemble. Have fun :D           Rudy

JohnDeereMoxie

Thanks Rudy. I'll have to get one of those Penn wrenches I saw in the manual.  The clicker sounds nice just seems like I hear a little slippage.  The spool doesn't turn in some spots and sounds funky.  I gotta get in there! Glad I found this site, I'm having a lot of fun researching this stuff.  Wish I decided to do this in May but the stripers bite good around here in the fall.

JohnDeereMoxie

Are all the Penn wrenches Universal or do I need a specific one? I saw they are cheap enough.  Thanks again!

RowdyW

There are mainly 2 sizes & both are on the same wrench. AT has a heavy duty one for $15 + s&h. PM me your address & I'll send one that comes with a new reel N/C.          Rudy

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: RowdyW on August 21, 2016, 11:03:00 PM
There are mainly 2 sizes & both are on the same wrench. AT has a heavy duty one for $15 + s&h. PM me your address & I'll send one that comes with a new reel N/C.          Rudy

PM (email) sent. Thanks Rudy.

JohnDeereMoxie

Rudy, just got my wrench today in the mail.  You're the best. Can't wait to see what's going on in the guts of my reel. Probably hasn't been greased in 40+ years. Thanks again! :)

JohnDeereMoxie

Just tore it down. Not exactly sure what to look for. The little copper/brass? Piece popped out when I loosened the last screw. It looks pretty clean. I did oil it up a few weeks ago without taking it down. The drag washers all look pretty good.

Bill B

JDM.....it's too late, no going back, you are gonna end up like the rest of us, brushing your teeth with the same tooth brush you use for cleaning old reels, fingers stained with grease..... ;D welcome to fishing reel repair, commonly called the dark side......the flat slightly bent brass piece is the anti reverse dog spring and the triangle piece with the hole in the last picture is the anti reverse dog.  During reassembly the spring will need to be inserted in a way as to apply pressure against the dog to engage the toothed end of the gear sleeve.  This link to the 116 Senator, even though much bigger will give you a step by step process....good luck and welcome to the dark side....Bill
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1792.0
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: TARFU on August 27, 2016, 11:18:13 PM
JDM.....it's too late, no going back, you are gonna end up like the rest of us, brushing your teeth with the same tooth brush you use for cleaning old reels, fingers stained with grease..... ;D welcome to fishing reel repair, commonly called the dark side......the flat slightly bent brass piece is the anti reverse dog spring and the triangle piece with the hole in the last picture is the anti reverse dog.  During reassembly the spring will need to be inserted in a way as to apply pressure against the dog to engage the toothed end of the gear sleeve.  This link to the 116 Senator, even though much bigger will give you a step by step process....good luck and welcome to the dark side....Bill
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1792.0

Thanks Bill. Is Scotch or tequila a good helper with this process? It has given me the gusto I need to finish lol! You all are so helpful. Having a lot of fun figuring it all out!

JohnDeereMoxie

Having an issue, can't get the eccentric back in. What do I do? Found a decent video on YouTube with a 155L but it's not very detailed. I also had it all together and the gears weren't turning properly. They all look good. I'm lost.

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: JohnDeereMoxie on August 28, 2016, 04:48:58 PM
Having an issue, can't get the eccentric back in. What do I do? Found a decent video on YouTube with a 155L but it's not very detailed. I also had it all together and the gears weren't turning properly. They all look good. I'm lost.

Here is the video.  It says and shows you can flip the clutch lever upside down and use it to bring the eccentric into position, I cannot do this with mine.  The threads of the eccentric are level with the plastic. I have tried several positions and it will not work what am I doing?

RowdyW

You are probably engaging the ecc. spring in the notch when dropping the ecc. into the plate & the bottom of the spring is sitting on the step in the plate. Try installing the ecc. with the spring out of the notch until the lever & screw are snugged down. Then using needle nosed pliers twist the spring into the notch. Also the gears will not turn smoothly until the spool & plates are assembled to hold the pinion gear in a straight alighnment.    Rudy