65 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

No picture plate Daron. These are the beginning of the newer style plates.

The star is non numbered. All other parts are numbered.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Superhook

Hello Ted,

You've done it again , an old pairing in great condition.

If you look at page #190 ( Catalog supplement) in Mike's yellow book it states that effective 1st September 1950 the LB#65 will be $9.00 .

Ray

Maxed Out

Heck, I forgot all about the price increase inserted in those catalogs

I happen to have one and it sure does say $9 for a lb65.

I knew you or Mike had the answer.....thanks Ray. Hope winter is treating you right.

-Ted

wailua boy

I'm always blown away to the see the knowledge on this site...

Penn Chronology

QuoteHello Ted,

You've done it again , an old pairing in great condition.

If you look at page #190 ( Catalog supplement) in Mike's yellow book it states that effective 1st September 1950 the LB#65 will be $9.00 .

Ray

Thanks Ray, without you, there would be no books.....................<:O)

Bill B

Based on the presence of some part numbers I would date it to around 1950, maybe a little earlier like 1949.....Im sure other will chime in...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'll try this'n here, sos not to add a whole new post. Like to try'n date this LB 60 with only 3 part numbers. Spool=29-60; handle screw=26-60; handle=24-155(kinda a diffrent lookin number stamp: digets larger than others but shallow).
Found a brass? Shim washer on topa the typical penn under-gear fiber washer, with 3 leather friction washers in the stack. You can see the "BARRACUDA" cast controler as a add on. Lube port on bridge say"grease". Stand with no visible numbers and had 2 screws from the side plate mixed up with the slightly shorter stand screws so possible upgrade add-on.
That's alla part numbers above after complete disassembly. Given the shape a the dog and with only one side of the bridge area formed for dog placement it had to have had a "leaf spring" that was missing. This is fun! Thanks aheada time!
Gfish

Your Long Beach is a Hybrid. Probably a late 1940's reel with a few servicing's over the years that have added numbered parts and incorrect parts. The handle is wrong, too small for a Long Beach. Should be part # 24-66. The thumb stall is an aftermarket piece from the 1930's. Really does not belong on a Penn reel that has a drag. I would consider this reel a parts reel. 

Shark Hunter

With that cracked plate. Its the deal breaker. :-\
Just sayin'
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

I would pay a few dollars for this reel. As long as the Penn 60 stand with the rod clamp does not have a part number on it..

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 18, 2017, 02:48:47 PM
I would pay a few dollars for this reel. As long as the Penn 60 stand with the rod clamp does not have a part number on it..

Here is a long beach DL60 with rod clamp ;D ;D...........Any idea what year this one is ?? Brian ? Mike ? Ray ?

Superhook

Ted , It has a waffle clicker . Must be circa 1938. Ray .

basto

Wow, they really were just like a smaller 3/0 senator.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow, they really were just like a smaller 3/0 senator.
Basto

Exactly. The Long Beach Deluxe 250 yard is a 2/0 and the Long Beach Deluxe 300 is a 3/0. Good eye Basto!!

Oceanreels

May be a 1937 as it does not have the lube cap on the handle grasp.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Maxed Out

Quote from: Oceanreels on July 25, 2017, 01:39:48 PM
May be a 1937 as it does not have the lube cap on the handle grasp.

I was thinking it was 1936 because no oil port in the knob.

What would disqualify it from being a 1936  ???