66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread. They've been grouped together because they are identical except for width, so only the spools, posts and stands are different between the three models. The head plates and internals only differ by the number in the Penn logo, and the tail plates are all interchangeable.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Penn introduced the Long Beach 66 in 1936, the Long Beach 67 in 1939, and the Long Beach 68 in 1942. They differ only in width. The 66 is the same width as the 65, but the spool (and plate) diameter are larger. The 66 held 400 yds of No 9 linen line, the 67 500 yards and the 68 600 yards. Penn was a model of efficiency; that was a necessity during the depression, which was when Penn was born (actually in the first few years immediately following the depression). As the Penn selection grew so did the number of parts needed for repairs. This head plate, which shows no model number in the logo, could be used as a repair part for any of these models, and it is likely that this is exactly how this plate was born and used (I have to give credit to Mike Cacioppo for this revelation). Penn was many things, including cost-efficient. I actually have two of these plates, both came on the Long Beach 67, but they could have come on any of these models. I consider them rather unique, and they tell a little about Penn history and how the company became and stayed successful.

Otto Henze realized he could decrease his inventory stores by stocking only one unmarked plate to repair the Long Beach models 66, 67 and 68. In case you can't read it, at the bottom of the logo are the words "Made in USA, Pat'd".

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Ron Jones

The LongBeaches are amazing to me. Senators are really just dressed up Long Beaches. What amazes me is that it took Newell to make the Senator that should have started it all with the YTS. One of these days I'll build a 66 with a Newell base, custom bars and a bunch of our goodies. Not sure what I'd call it, but it would be fun to bounce scampis off the bottom. How about a California Halibut Special?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

Talking about the Long beach 66, back in the late 1930's, when this Long Beach was introduced, salesman wanted to show off this new big game / low price reel.

A common practice of most makers when introducing a new reel was to make a Cutaway. These Cutaways are made in very low numbers to hand out to salesmen and tackle shops in the Penn system. A few years ago a friend sent me a couple of pictures of a reel he fouond at a garage sale. I saw the pictures and was immediately interested. I was not sure exactly what it was; but, I knew I had to have it. So I made a offer and the reel was sent to me. These were the pictures I had to judge my offer by.

Penn Chronology

Once I got the reel, I decided to take it down, clean it and add a few of the missing parts. Before I started I did not know whether this reel was a factory creation or a garage creation.

I think it was the spool that first made me feel that this cut up reel had to be done in  the Penn factory. it was just too on the money and the cut edges were chrome plated

The side plates were also neatly done and well thought out. All that was necessary to keep the reel fully functional was still in place, the removed material was very well thought out to show the inner workings of the reel.

When I finally found the handle I wanted on this old special reel, I finished it. A fully functioning, 1938 Penn Long Beach Model 66.

This reel is the only 1930's cutaway I have ever seen. There must be others out there. Has anyone found any pre-war cutaway reels?

coastal_dan

I never get tired of seeing that reel...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

broadway

What a special piece, Mike.  I've never seen one nearly as cutaway or detailed as that one.  I would think for certain that LB is a factory piece.
Beautiful and thanks for sharing,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuotePosted by: broadway 

Insert Quote

What a special piece, Mike.  I've never seen one nearly as cutaway or detailed as that one.  I would think for certain that LB is a factory piece.
Beautiful and thanks for sharing,
Dom

Posted on: Today at 08:15:13 AM
Posted by: coastal_dan 

Insert Quote

I never get tired of seeing that reel...

Happy to share. Wish I could remember what I have posted and what I have not posted. Something tells me I have posted these pictures before. No worries, just the ramblings of someone having a senior moment............<:O(

Rancanfish

That reel is obviously defective, with many broken parts.  I would just display it.

Thanks for blowing our minds again.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 20, 2016, 08:27:17 PM

Happy to share. Wish I could remember what I have posted and what I have not posted. Something tells me I have posted these pictures before. No worries, just the ramblings of someone having a senior moment............<:O(

Yes, you have, and I don't mind either.  It's always good to see some of your old treasures. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteQuote from: Penn Chronology on September 20, 2016, 12:27:17 PM

Yes, you have, and I don't mind either.  It's always good to see some of your old treasures. 

OK, here's the story, as I see it. I have heard that people have a dominant side of their brain which contributes to whether they are more artistic or more mechanically inclined. Sort of like saying the right side of the brain makes you an artist while the left side of your brain makes you engineer. In my head, these brain tendencies are at war, causing lapses in memory which make me repeat myself.

Thank you all for excusing my redundancy. My father always told me to never do anything perfect because in doing so, you remove the option of future improvement. I live by that rule.................................

coastal_dan

You, good sir, are never allowed to apologize for posting images or information.  We appreciate each bit we can drag out of you...  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou, good sir, are never allowed to apologize for posting images or information.  We appreciate each bit we can drag out of you...  Grin

You are a funny guy...................<:O)

TheReelShop

I was able to source two NOS Penn Longbeach 67's with box and paperwork. The only thing that shows a year are the manuals. How do I tell what year these might be from. I notice both reels have different spools. Should they be kept in their original state or modified/updated?
Here are some pics

RowdyW

I believe the shiny spool is chrome plated & the duller one is a 3 piece stainless steel spool. The condition looks collectable or useable, it's up to you. I don't think either is rare or scarce.