66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Psssst hey Sheridan  ;), brother, I usually dont offer this, but buy it send it to me, no need to tell the authorities, I will dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way, and no one will have to know......We can just keep this between the two of us...... ::)    

So have you got it yet.....we just gotta know  ;D    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Quote from: TARFU on January 06, 2017, 04:25:39 AM
Psssst hey Sheridan  ;), brother, I usually dont offer this, but buy it send it to me, no need to tell the authorities, I will dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way, and no one will have to know......We can just keep this between the two of us...... ::)    

So have you got it yet.....we just gotta know  ;D    Bill

Ha, good one brother Bill, but we've been down this road before and know that he just flashes the reel and won't sell. I'd show it off too if it were me ;D ;D -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

This is my oldest Long Beach in as I found it condition. Not sure what year it is. I'm going to try and get back down there today and bring it for comparison to the 3 post Long Beach. Wish me luck. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Superhook

Swami805,

Your LB is early 1938.

Ray

Penn Chronology

Interesting reel, especially the handle. Don't see that knob to often.

Swami805

I got the 3 post Long Beach today, took a bit of doing.  Not perfect but in decent shape for it's age
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

It is not just a 3 post, it is a brown plate, 3 post:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 12, 2017, 03:45:46 AM
It is not just a 3 post, it is a brown plate, 3 post:)

More likely dark maroon John, just faded a bit.

Definitely an early 1933 long beach 65 and very nice find Sheridan.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

The 1933 Long Beach can be tough to find, especially if you are looking for one.................<:O(

great reel! Now you just the other three for a complete 1933 set................................................. :)

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Gfish

I saw her from across the crowded room("Habitat for Humanity", a warehouse size 2nd hand store), all silver and black and Penn conventional, an instant attraction, two jaded, faded, broke-down vintage oldsters in need. Me 1957 and she was perhaps early 1960's. A Penn LB 67.  Some small talk, which quickly led to flirtation(testing all the functions) and latter we leave together. My mind on phyisical things such as mechanical improvements. What kind of improvements would she have in mind for me? Better physical technique?  More emotional intelligence? Conventional wisdom?

Spool #29-67, chromed brass, stand#30-200(same as old JM500, I have, posts the same too, also the gearsleeve looks like the JM size, is the bridgeplate a 3-66 on the JM like on this one?) and most other numbered parts start with a "66". Aprox. Date of manufacture?

Two things: 1) the 24-55 handle -is it an upgrade or possibly original from factory.
2)The drag stack - had 2 non-metal washers that look kinda like asbestos with a under-the-gear lookin washer(smaller diameter than existing undergear washer) used somewhere in the stack. The asbestos lookin ones 'er 2.42 & 2.38 mm's. With that arrangement, last washer is just above the gear when assembled. Ever hear of asbestos used in fishing reel drags?

Questions/suggestions? Modify the drag stack? Leave it as is(could it be the orginal arrangement?)?
Overall the sturdyness of the reel don't look like like it'ed handle more'n 'bout 8lbs. a drag as it is now, even with an upgraded stack.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

More pics. Note headplate port says: "LUBRICANT." Thinkin I'll put the dacron line on as backing, top it with 30 lb. and fish it, while I get Ideas to play around with. Can I geta s.s. sleeve for her? Mahalo aheada time!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Gfish, upgrade the drags with five 6-60 HT 100 washers and get one more eared and one more keyed washer to set it up as a 5 stack. I would use a new fiber washer under the main gear. SS sleeves are available also from SB&T & other sources. That spool will hold up ok with straight mono. That length of handle will do just fine but you might want a bigger knob.              Rudy

Penn Chronology

Most definitely upgrade to HT 100 if you are going to fish the reel. Rudy is giving good advice for the drags.

The power handle on your reel is an option. Not installed in the factory.

Reel looks like a 1960's model. In the 1960's Penn used asbestos for drag material. It is good stuff but hazardous to work with. Better to use modern materials, don't know if they are hazardous yet................<:O)

Gfish

Interesting, with the stack, starting at the bottom of the gear, put : asbestos-keyed-asbestos-eared-Carbon fiber cut to size-keyed, and it fits pretty good. Can/should asbestos be greased? It'ed keep the dust factor down, 'till I get the other metal washers, and then I can cut some CF's n' do a 5 stack

Also, thanks for posting in the "Penn vintage"sub-forum about the "A square" cast control bushing, Penn chronology. The 1950's JM I got off fleabay several years ago had one and with no name on it, could'nt  search the net for it. All I could tell was, it was some kinda fancy bushing. Now, I even got the instructions from your post and put some 30wt. oil in like it says to. Can't wait to try it out. It's on the LB 67 now and in a pic. below.
Gfish