149, 149L, 149M Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sharkman

Anyone ever seen a 149 without star? If so are they rare?

foakes

Yeah,

Kinda rare if it is a late 30's 249 W/plastic spool and old type handle with no star.

Got a pic?

Some of these were made for L.L. Bean.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Foakes must be old has yardage on stand instead of part number. See pics

foakes

Hi SM --

The experts on these reels would be Michael, John, and Lee.

I do not know as much about the little details to know if it is original, or has had a couple of parts switched out over the years.

Looks to be in very good condition -- the experts will be along shortly.

Thanks for the pics

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnyone ever seen a 149 without star? If so are they rare?

Yes and they are much harder to find than a more common 149 with the star drag. Look at page 79 of my Blue Book to see the reel you have in the catalog scan. The 149 was made without a star drag for 1939, 40 and 41. In 1942 the star drag was added to the reel and it stayed that way. The early reel you found is a very difficult version to find. You made a great score!

Scanned from the 1939 catalog.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 27, 2016, 06:12:29 AM
QuoteAnyone ever seen a 149 without star? If so are they rare?

Yes and they are much harder to find than a more common 149 with the star drag. Look at page 79 of my Blue Book to see the reel you have in the catalog scan. The 149 was made without a star drag for 1939, 40 and 41. In 1942 the star drag was added to the reel and it stayed that way. The early reel you found is a very difficult version to find. You made a great score!

Scanned from the 1939 catalog.

Cool info Mike, is it ok to assume a 149 with waffle click and no star is from 1939 ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteCool info Mike, is it ok to assume a 149 with waffle click and no star is from 1939 ??

I would think yes. The one pictured in this thread has a Hershey Kiss clicker button and is probably the 1940 or 41. A waffle clicker would logically be the early model.

Swami805

Greetings, I picked up an older 149 recently, it's has a drag star, hershey kiss clicker coin edge counter weight and nothing stamped on the foot. I took it apart to clean it and there's no dog spring. Anyone know which dog spring it uses? Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

birdfin

I'm adding another question to the string.  I've got a 149 that is missing the torpedo grip.  Does anyone know if any of the ones I see on EBay would work as a replacement?

George4741

Quote from: Swami805 on September 13, 2016, 11:50:48 AM
Greetings, I picked up an older 149 recently, it's has a drag star, hershey kiss clicker coin edge counter weight and nothing stamped on the foot. I took it apart to clean it and there's no dog spring. Anyone know which dog spring it uses? Thanks

Penn Part # 14-60. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Swami805

Thanks George just saw that was busy fighting my phone

Maxed Out

No collection should be without a 149

A very respectable survivor can easily be had for less than $20

The tail plate scene has 4 boats, which is the most you'll see on any Penn. Must be an all out bite going on !!

The one here with the green knob was $15.99+ shipping
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

As always, some of the shiniest reels on earth! Also, love that vented spool. 8)
Beauties worthy of your plinth for sure.
Enjoy them,
Dom

Swami805

I gotten a few for very little money really just for the handles. Seems that fit gear sleeves on many small reels and more cranking power with that long blade. Also the handle lady must have liked them lots of cool colored knobs. I've gotten a few for about half the price of a handle alone. Also have a few nice ones in my collection. Really nice reels and they must have made a lot of them.
Those are some beauties you have there Ted