349 Master Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

QuoteI have yet to master the differences between models of the 49, 149, 249 and 349C, 349H and 349HC.

That makes two of us.  When you find out, let me know.  I have a couple of 349s but don't know which they are.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Makule on September 09, 2016, 05:03:43 AM
QuoteI have yet to master the differences between models of the 49, 149, 249 and 349C, 349H and 349HC.

That makes two of us.  When you find out, let me know.  I have a couple of 349s but don't know which they are.

Never fear, the answer you seek is here  :D :D  This image is from catalog 36b. Click on pic for enlarged view :o :o

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

George4741

Quote from: Makule on September 09, 2016, 05:03:43 AM

That makes two of us.  When you find out, let me know.  I have a couple of 349s but don't know which they are.
I'll tell you what I know about the 349's.  The 349 is a 2.3:1 gear ratio and has one freespool lever.  The 349H and 349HC have a 3.25:1 ratio.  The 349H has one lever and the 349HC has two levers which serve the same purpose as those on the 49.  "H" stands for high-speed and "C" stands for convertible.  All of the head plates are marked 349, so you must count the revolutions of the spool to determine if you have the 349 or 349H.  

You can easily swap gears in these reels to change it from low to high speed and vice versa.  You can install the slow gears in a two lever head plate and have a 349C, which I believe the factory never produced.  Everyone thoroughly confused?  Good!  Now I'm waiting for someone to come along and correct me. ;)  

Ishman, I've forgotten what is needed for the 7-drag stack, as is shown in Lee's (Keta's) photo.  Perhaps he'll chime in here and fill you in.

George  

viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

I see that while I was typing my previous response Ted posted a photo of the catalog to help explain things.  Thank You Ted.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

The 349 was introduced in 1957. It was first introduced in four models. One of them was the 349C.

The 349C was made up to 1961. From 1962 the 349 was only offered in three versions as it is shown on the catalog page posted by Ted. Catalog 36B is a 1976 catalog.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI find the x49 reels confusing.

The 49, 149 and 249 reels are dimensionally the same. I believe Penn made them at different design levels to offer them to a broad customer base. By offering them with the variety of configurations they were offered in, Penn was able to set price points for every pocket book. We have to consider the time period. The 49, 149 and 249 were all introduced in 1939. There was not a lot of money floating around then. These reels were all offered as Deep Sea Reels and wire line trolling reels. They were meant to put meat on the table, so lowering the costs had a great appeal back then. Also, many fisherman were accustomed to very simple reels, so a simple knuckle buster style was an acceptable product for the times.

The 349 was introduced into a much healthier and growing economy, so Penn pulled out all the stops and made a more highly refined reel for the same size class.

mhc

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 09, 2016, 07:19:25 AM
The 349 was introduced in 1957. It was first introduced in four models. One of them was the 349C.

The 349C was made up to 1961. From 1962 the 349 was only offered in three versions as it is shown on the catalog page posted by Ted. Catalog 36B is a 1976 catalog.

Thanks Mike, like George, I hadn't heard of a '349C'. There appears to be a typo on the catalog page shown, the 4th model is listed as "No. 349C as 349H but with convertible star drag..." and should be No. 349HC as 349H.....

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

George4741

Quote from: George4741 on September 09, 2016, 06:06:48 AM

You can easily swap gears in these reels to change it from low to high speed and vice versa.  You can install the slow gears in a two lever head plate and have a 349C, which I believe the factory never produced.  Everyone thoroughly confused?  Good!  Now I'm waiting for someone to come along and correct me. ;)  
Alrightee, I stand corrected. ;D

The good thing is, if you can't find a particular variation you can easily assemble one from parts that are usually available on eBay.  My two working reels are single lever models, 349 and 349H.  I don't want or need the knucklebuster lever.  
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I have a factory two lever LH 349H.... :D

Quote from: George4741 on September 09, 2016, 06:06:48 AM
Ishman, I've forgotten what is needed for the 7-drag stack, as is shown in Lee's (Keta's) photo.  Perhaps he'll chime in here and fill you in.

You need .020" CF washers and .037" metal washers.  Smooth Drag sells a 5 washer set fr or the high speed gears and I still have a few sets for the low speed gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike, like George, I hadn't heard of a '349C'. There appears to be a typo on the catalog page shown, the 4th model is listed as "No. 349C as 349H but with convertible star drag..." and should be No. 349HC as 349H.....

The 1957 Catalog introduction of the 349 was typographically not ready for prime time. They got it straight in 1958 and the four models stayed logically labeled until their final 1961 showing. Here's the 1958 catalog presentation.

Maxed Out

You are right again Mike, the '57 color pocket catalog 349 intro was on page 1, but very little info on each model.

George, you are right about typo. They got it right on this pocket catalog.

Ted

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou are right again Mike, the '57 color pocket catalog 349 intro was on page 1, but very little info on each model.

Ted

I dated that Pocket Catalog at a 1956 issue. Why is that?

After going through the  Color Pocket Catalog, I believe Ted is right. It is a 1957 catalog. I suspect I wanted it to be 1956 because 1956 really needs a better catalog than it has; but, it is what it is. Ted is right again!............................. ??? ??? ???

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 09, 2016, 08:26:48 PM
QuoteYou are right again Mike, the '57 color pocket catalog 349 intro was on page 1, but very little info on each model.

Ted

I dated that Pocket Catalog at a 1956 issue. Why is that?

After going through the  Color Pocket Catalog, I believe Ted is right. It is a 1957 catalog. I suspect I wanted it to be 1956 because 1956 really needs a better catalog than it has; but, it is what it is. Ted is right again!............................. ??? ??? ???

Mike, in your defense you did put 1956/57 on the envelope you sent the catalog back in. You were right all along and I was just feeding off your observations. Of course you knew it was '57 from the 349 intro. You are still the professor and we are all wanna be graduates of your class......if that's even possible  :D :D :D :D

I think it would be a good thing to have a picture of the catalog introduction for each model......for every one of the Penn model threads that Sid posted.

George4741

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 09, 2016, 07:17:31 PM
You are right again Mike, the '57 color pocket catalog 349 intro was on page 1, but very little info on each model.

Ted
I think Mike pointed out the typo, not me.  
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

Ok, so my two reels are the regular 349s, but they have been "fixed" with all kinds of stuff (I don't recall what).

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.