125 Seagate

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Thanks guys...respect from one's peers is something I hold dear. Don't forget about ol' Ted either...he inspired me by sending me a project reel that he knew I'd learn from...and I did! I picked up valuable tidbits while researching this reel, knowledge I'll use over and over. Mike's knowledge of details is very helpful too...these guys always have answers.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I didn't particularly want a Seagate and Lord knows I didn't need one, but it has a hexagonal clicker button and was dirt cheap.  The listing photos were not very good but you could see the cracks in the handle knob and glue or something on the tail plate.  You could not see that "COOK" is scribed into the stand and the headplate.  The seller said it was "good working condition" but it turns out the AR is not working and the spool is nearly frozen.  It's very crusty inside and out.  I haven't taken it apart yet but do not see a model number.

The thing that has my attention is the cracking handle knob.  Turns out it is not bakelite or catalin but a wooden torpedo.  At first I though that Mr. Cook did one heck of a good job carving a wood knob replacement, but it was turned, not carved, and appears to be from a factory.  The text and catalog page in Mike's book says the Seagate did not come with a torpedo knob.  Could this be?  Did Penn make wooden torpedo knobs?  Or, was Mr. Cook just that talented?

-steve

Bill B

I have no idea on the wooden knob, it certainly looks like a factory job, the shape and grooves look like any plastic torpedo......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I have what looks like the same year/model seagate with a wooden knob. I believe it is the correct handle and for that reel as discussed earlier in the thread. That reel looks like it should clean up pretty well,judging by all your other efforts with old reels I'm sure it will look great. Curious about what you'll come up with to put it on, maybe another bamboo creation? Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Your Seagate appears to have all it's factory original parts. The rosewood knob was very common on Seagate, as well as plastic spool. Also no model number in logo was standard for several models back then. The way to determine model# is the yardage capacity that was commonly stamped under the foot.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Cool find Steve! You'll enjoy reviving this old reel...I had a blast with mine. Yours appears to be all there...and more dusty than corroded...which is a good thing. Can't wait to see the makeover! 8)

oc1

Any idea of the vintage Ted?  Late 30's, early 40's maybe?
Thanks,
-steve

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on January 15, 2017, 06:57:10 PM
Any idea of the vintage Ted?  Late 30's, early 40's maybe?
Thanks,
-steve

Hi Steve, that style of counterbalance would date it to late 1941 & 1942 up until factory closed for war production. The Seagate was a less expensive long beach 60 or 65, that were intended for charters, and pier rentals. Your Seagate looks like it caught lots of fish in its day.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Looking through one of the bone piles --

Found a couple of old Seagates that I have never had a chance to go through yet -- nothing fancy, just old vintage white bread stuff.

Plus a Silver Beach and one marked "99" -- plus a few others that have never been cleaned and restored --

This is a good day to prioritize some projects as I start the new year.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Very interesting Fred...that one Seagate has a black handle knob. I"ve never seen black on a reel that old, and the handle appears correct. Cool goodies! 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteI didn't particularly want a Seagate and Lord knows I didn't need one, but it has a hexagonal clicker button and was dirt cheap.  The listing photos were not very good but you could see the cracks in the handle knob and glue or something on the tail plate.  You could not see that "COOK" is scribed into the stand and the headplate.  The seller said it was "good working condition" but it turns out the AR is not working and the spool is nearly frozen.  It's very crusty inside and out.  I haven't taken it apart yet but do not see a model number.

QuoteThe thing that has my attention is the cracking handle knob.  Turns out it is not bakelite or catalin but a wooden torpedo.  At first I though that Mr. Cook did one heck of a good job carving a wood knob replacement, but it was turned, not carved, and appears to be from a factory.  The text and catalog page in Mike's book says the Seagate did not come with a torpedo knob.  Could this be?  Did Penn make wooden torpedo knobs?  Or, was Mr. Cook just that talented?

Its Sea Gate time again. It really is a dressed down Long Beach. The first year they were made was 1939, this is the year that had NO torpedo handle (Penn's way of using up old off the shelf parts and offering the reel for less money than the Long Beach). In 1939, the Sea Gate was offered iin two models, #125---250yds. & #126---300yds. The Model 126 is the one that collectors should look for. It is also the one that gets weird because it was bought up by Commercial customers that wanted the reel tailored to their own appearance specs.

Then, along comes 1940 and both Sea Gate Models are missing from the catalog.

In 1941 and 1942 The Sea Gate---Model 125 returns with a Torpedo handle and a plastic,rather than metal spool---(metal demands of the war were changing things at that time). I believe that the Hexagon Clicker is a 1941 model and the Hershey Kiss style clicker button is a 1942 model.

The Model 126---300 yard reels is a very tough find. Here is the only 1939 Model 126 I have ever found. look out for phonies.

This is why I call the Model 126's weird. Even the handle knob is odd.

The tail plate was broken in half. I had to save it to keep the character of the reel. Epoxy saved the day.

I like the Sea Gate models. They represent a pre-war time when people were fishing for food. The Sea Gate was a popular rental reel in California, which is where mine came from.

Here is why the reels were weird. The year is 1939. At the end of the day, the Reel Rental Tackle Shop owner tells the kid who works there to go out on the pier and collect the rods from his tackle shop. Weird rods and reels were how they were found, otherwise they would not make their way back to the shop.

I have probably posted these pictures before; but, they do apply here I believe.

Never underestimate the importance of the Sea Gate. And yes, many of the 1941 and 42 model were made with the wood torpedo handles. Back in those days, wood was not a War sensitive material, so it was used all the time.

oc1

Thank you Mike. 
Look at all the Calcutta cane in that Newport photo.  Does my heart good.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteLook at all the Calcutta cane in that Newport photo.  Does my heart good.

Yes, Steve, I know just how you feel. Every rod and reel on that pier is a collectible in today's world.

Darin Crofton

Here's a Seagate I picked up last week. Decided to clean it up, put new springs, metals and cf washers in it and am going to use it on a sabiki rod.
I love the handle color, only one I've seen in person and it stands out from most of my other Penn handles.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

That's a nice Seagate Darin! 8)