Senator 113, 113-LH (4/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 11, 2016, 06:54:41 PM
Sid - May want to check your host... it seems your photos are MIA.
Thanks, Dan. Just fixed. It was my problem, not photobucket's. Been doing some organizing today and didn't think I had moved files.... but apparently I did. It's all better now. Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

sdlehr

So I've been doing some sleuthing and I came across this pic of Ray's; it's a first year 9/0 with one side of the box; that side says nothing about chrome or German silver, but it does say SS. I'm sure Mike is right and it is listed on another face of the box; or another box from a different early year.... but I'd like to see it for myself; I believe, I just will remember better seeing it. Is it the '36, or later that has this?

Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo I've been doing some sleuthing and I came across this pic of Ray's; it's a first year 9/0 with one side of the box; that side says nothing about chrome or German silver, but it does say SS. I'm sure Mike is right and it is listed on another face of the box; or another box from a different early year.... but I'd like to see it for myself; I believe, I just will remember better seeing it. Is it the '36, or later that has this?

Here is a 1938 Penn Senator 4/0 box. BTW, this is the first 4/0..

Here is the box labeling for the German Silver parts. The stainless parts are internal.  

The 115 box from Ray's collection is a 1936 / 37 year box only and that style box was only used for the Model 115, there is no other labeling on this Model 115 box. What you see is everything. At the time of this box release, there were no other Senators except for the Model 115, making this box unique to the Model 115. It is an assumption that Penn even considered the Model 115 a size 9/0 at the time of its release. In 1936 it was the only Senator and no size had been assigned to the reel yet.

All other early Senators are in a Lighthouse box like I have pictured here.

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike, interesting. They say German silver "frame". Is that the rings, posts and foot? Seems that the spool should never be considered part of the frame.... Can you share a photo of the reel in question, or do you just have the box?  ;) I guess if the posts, rings and foot are chrome plated German silver they'll look just like the chrome plated brass....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on April 12, 2016, 05:56:55 PM
Thanks, Mike, interesting. They say German silver "frame". Is that the rings, posts and foot? Seems that the spool should never be considered part of the frame.... Can you share a photo of the reel in question, or do you just have the box?  ;) I guess if the posts, rings and foot are chrome plated German silver they'll look just like the chrome plated brass....

Sid

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13461.0
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Well, John did refer us to the other thread; but, here is close up of the 1938 reel. I sort of feel the chrome looks a bit different than a brass reel.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 13, 2016, 05:32:11 AM
l I sort of feel the chrome looks a bit different than a brass reel.
Agree. The rings and handle look different than chromed brass. The foot looks the same as chromed brass to me, but is lit differently so it might actually look like the rest. Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr

mo65

I had a good fishin' buddy that died a few years ago and his wife finally decided to unload a bunch of his fishing gear. Most of it was just run of the mill old rods and reels...no holy grails. I told her I'd like to buy the 4/0 Senator pictured here...just to have something of his. I didn't have a black plate 4/0, so I shined it up the best I could and added it to my collection. The chrome is rough, and it has initials carved in both plates, but the steel gears were in great shape. I replaced the old 3-stack of brake lining discs with a carbon fiber 5-stack, straightened the bent handle,
and straightened a bent lug also. The drag star has a nice long travel range, due to those thick squishy HT-100s. I bet John is lookin' down smiling...waiting to see me spin a big bird's nest with it. ;) :D 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on April 12, 2016, 03:33:50 AM
So I've been doing some sleuthing and I came across this pic of Ray's; it's a first year 9/0 with one side of the box; that side says nothing about chrome or German silver, but it does say SS. I'm sure Mike is right and it is listed on another face of the box; or another box from a different early year.... but I'd like to see it for myself; I believe, I just will remember better seeing it. Is it the '36, or later that has this?

Sid, that box and 9/0 reel do not belong to Ray. That box and reel resides in my China hutch. It's my 401k. Hopefully it'll be worth something some day

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hey Mo..
Nice job on the 4/0.  Notice the different/early style harness lugs.  Not sure what years they were produced off the top of my head though?
John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Once again I was inspired by Mo....he is my long lost brother from another mother  ;)  ;)

From the early 4/0's to the last "made in USA" 4/0 not much changed except the frame spool and handle. Although 50+ years apart, the sideplates on these reels are interchangeable and internals are same basic design

The 4/0 is plentiful and very affordable and one of the best bargains out there

Ted

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 14, 2018, 02:53:14 AM
Once again I was inspired by Mo....he is my long lost brother from another mother  ;)  ;)

I'm just happy I'm able to inspire the guy who inspired me. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Can someone tell me what year this 4/0 sideplate is from?

Maxed Out

Don't quote me, but in my experience I've seen this picture plate on the 4/0 up thru the mid to late 60's