Senator 113, 113-LH (4/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 07, 2019, 07:49:38 PMDon't quote me, but in my experience I've seen this picture plate on the 4/0 up thru the mid to late 60's

Thanks man, keepin' it clam.

So how far back have you seen it?

Maxed Out

Quote from: nelz on November 07, 2019, 09:47:57 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on November 07, 2019, 07:49:38 PMDon't quote me, but in my experience I've seen this picture plate on the 4/0 up thru the mid to late 60's

Thanks man, keepin' it clam.

So how far back have you seen it?

That 4/0 picture plate started in the late 30's when the 4/0 was first introduced. I may be way off on when that picture plate was changed.... Perhaps late 50's
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Is there a higher speed option for the agravatingly slow 2:1 on this reel?  Perhaps swaping from a different model Penn?

I just picked one up for a too good to pass on price at the flea market. It cleaned up nice and I used it already. Tons of torque with the 2:1, but just toooo slooowwww....

mhc

Yeah, not a huge jump in speed though - the original 'Grouper special' conversion used a LB 66 bridge, pinion and yoke with the 113 main gave a 2.4:1 ratio from memory. Sal took it a bit further to 2.6:1 with his 'Grouper special' by using a 5-149 main with a 13-113H pinion (only Sal would think of that pairing) Sal's version needed a bit of dremel work to fit the 5-149 https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.15

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

nelz

Thanks, yeah, I agree, not worth it to gain .5 or .6

I heard there was an Accurate or Newell set of 4:1 gears for these reels but can't find them anywhere.

RowdyW

The 4 to 1 gears are for the 113H, HL, & HLW. Maroon & red plate Special Senators are a different animal then the Senator black plate reels. Both are 4/0 size but that's where it basiclly ends.         Rudy