Senator 115, 115-LH, 115L, 115L-LH (9/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

I have two 115's, neither came with the front rod brace. One is a first generation reel. In looking for a proper, period-correct rod brace for this '37-'38 115 what do I need to look for?

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Nonnumbered strap, turnbuckle is slightly different as well (maybe a bit squarer looking/shorter), and the metal/plating looks a bit different (kinda like te other earlier metal parts).  This is a tall order to find, rod clamps, bolts, nuts, and braces that are period-correct for nonnumbered, and esp. first gen style senators.  Take a look at some of the previous posted pictures of reels that have these parts as examples.  I can post a pic or two of the few I have if it helps... but realistically you are going to have trouble finding these, unless maybe some member has a secrete stash collecting dust?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNonnumbered strap, turnbuckle is slightly different as well (maybe a bit squarer looking/shorter), and the metal/plating looks a bit different (kinda like te other earlier metal parts).  This is a tall order to find, rod clamps, bolts, nuts, and braces that are period-correct for nonnumbered, and esp. first gen style senators.  Take a look at some of the previous posted pictures of reels that have these parts as examples.  I can post a pic or two of the few I have if it helps... but realistically you are going to have trouble finding these, unless maybe some member has a secrete stash collecting dust?

So true, I do not even try to find correct ones. If you are lucky enough to get the correct ones with reel, be happy. These parts usually get updated on the old models because of freezing up with corrosion. Finding originals it tough. Worthwhile though.

sdlehr

OK, so it's something I'll keep my eyes open for; I do have a secret connection not affiliated with this site who seems to have a lot of NOS Penn stuff around collecting dust.... John, if you don't mind, please do photograph what a proper rod brace looks like for this period, and perhaps we can also get someone to post a pic of other variations (like more recently made) so that we can use this thread to compare them. I would post pics of any I owned, but I don't own any (yet).

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr

ReefhawgWI

Here are pictures of my non-numbered rod brace with turn-buckles. I am pretty sure they are correct for my reel that also does not have part numbers.

Maxed Out

What is different about this 9/0 ??

I have a feeling Mike and Ray will know.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Superhook

It's not rusty and all the parts are correct and fitted properly .  ;D

I'll let the others have a go. It is significant though.  Congratulations on a great find.

RowdyW

By the looks of the handle arm it might be a lefty & no front lugs.

Bill B

My guess is 1 st generation based on position of the gear case at 5 o'clock bushing instead of bearing and external drags...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

It's a first year 9/0, the first year of the first Senator. Great find!

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on September 24, 2016, 01:55:58 PM

Sid

Not quite, but close ;)
Hope springs eternal

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 24, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on September 24, 2016, 01:55:58 PM

Sid

Not quite, but close ;)
Yeah, I realized what I did about 30 minutes ago. Wrong handle for first year.
Sid Lehr