Senator 115, 115-LH, 115L, 115L-LH (9/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

[quoteHas anybody got a 1st gen 9/0 with FHL?][/quote]

Not me!

54bullseye

I bought this at a yard sale today for $20.00 the handle is wrong and outer rings and foot are a bit rough but a good deal for the price !! Would there be any one out there with a parts reel or handle or any other parts for this reel ?? Certainly doesn't have to be perfect as it wouldn't match the rest of reel. I now have it all apart and handle is only part with numbers. The spool is really quite nice and reel works perfect even the drags work well so to me even though it's rough if I could come up with a handle it would at least be a good example of a first gen 9/0.  It is not marked 9/0 and there is no scene on tail plate so I believe it's an early one.  Let me know !    John Taylor

The Great Maudu

Nice find there young man! Good hunting.

Maxed Out

Killer score John. Patience is the key when looking for older era correct parts.

Yes, your 9/0 appears to be 100% era correct for 1936-40......except for the handle.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Deepennz

Hi there,
It has been a while since I wrote my comments on this thread. Hopefully I can add some photo's to illustrate my comments. This is scary s**t for a technophobe like me!!

This is my 1st gen, external drag access 9/0 - it doesn't have as nice a handle as Ted's, but it is in very good condition.

As I wrote earlier, I have had this reel for a while now, and didn't appreciate the significance of what I had!! Please note - no front harness lugs.

Because I am learning to add photo's I will include some of my 1938 9/0

I have not seen, nor heard of any 1st gen 9/0's with front lugs. Why would Penn advertise rod braces for 9/0's in 1941 if they weren't making 9/0's with front lugs by then?

Cheers
Martin

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have not seen, nor heard of any 1st gen 9/0's with front lugs. Why would Penn advertise rod braces for 9/0's in 1941 if they weren't making 9/0's with front lugs by then?

Nor have I. The only reasonable explanation is, Penn was making second generation models before they changed the catalog photo. As we look back into Penn history via the catalogs, we tend to give those catalog presentation 100% validity as if they were. They were not updated as the models were. More than likely, those years right before the war saw much confusion of products. I would not be surprised if both first and second generations reel were being sold in the pre-war model years.

1badf350

I have a pre war gen 2 with no front lugs. Well at least thats what you guys told me it was LOL

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Well Chris, if this is the original box, then the price puts it from 1939-1942

The box is worth about as much as the reel.....both together is a very valuable package. Congrats on that score !!

Ted

1badf350

Ted i can only be 100% sure that the reel and box were together when I got it. I bought a Long Beach 62 from the same seller. It was in the 30s style box that turned out to be correct. I can only assume the 9/0 is correct.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Maxed Out

That is by far the cleanest pre war 6/0 box I've seen. The original owner took great care of both box and reel. Amazingly clean !!

Deepennz

Hi Chris,

Thanks for showing us that reel and box - when I first saw it I had to turn away to stop my uncontrollable drooling!! I also have a 2nd Gen 9/0 with no front lugs - but way not as nice as that. Well done.
Could you please tell me if that reel has a drilled spool spindle or the later post. The reason I ask is I have another pre - war 9/0, 2nd gen,  front lugs etc that still has a drilled spindle. This reel is currently working its way thru the cleaning dept, and I will eventually post some photos.

So it would seem that, prior to WW2, Penn changed the configuration of the head plate of the 9/0 5 times - three 1st Gen variants, and two 2nd gen models, finally arriving at the model with front lugs, spindle post, hexagonal front plate bush etc, that remained unchanged until the mid 50's. They must of had fun in the R&d Dept - out fishing probably!!

Cheers
Martin

1badf350

Thank you all for the compliments.
Martin, it has a drilled spindle.
-Chris

Maxed Out

Hi Martin, I have same early gen2 that you described.

It has rosewood torpedo, coin edge cb, drilled arbor, AND D shape cutouts on front lugs only. Top lugs have circular hole. These are the very first of gen 2 9/0's circa 1940/41

Chris, that reel belongs in a museum, but likely you already knew that

Ted

Deepennz

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, Ted - yes - that is exactly the 9/0 I have.

As you can see - this reel is a 2nd Gen, external Drag access, front harness lugs(small "D" shape), a large circular 'top lug' and a drilled spool still.

Also of interest is the fact that this reel has the famous Senator fishing scene on the Back Plate.

Ted - my external drag acess, 1st Gen 9/0 has no such scene on the back. Does yours?

Chris - My 2nd Gen, no front lug, reel has this fishing scene -  does yours?
It would seem that this fishing scene was added at the time of the change from 1st Gen to 2nd, before the FHL were added.
Has anybody got a 1st Gen 9/0 with that scene?

Back to my reel above - In the 1941 catalogue, Penn advertised Rod brace's for 9/0 Senators as an accessory. The reel above was the only reel capable of utilizing those braces.
This is the 5th incarnation of the 9/0 Senator, and it was just 1941.

I would be interested if anybody has any input into when Penn moved to a pinned spindle,  - 1942 perhaps? Still more to learn.

Cheers
Martin