51 Bay Side

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Did anyone else here see this '38 Bayside sell on eBay recently? I'm just curious...have prices really surpassed the guidelines in Mike's book...or was this just a case of someone wanting it bad? I know it's the rare 100yd. model, but it's not exactly in the best of conditions...???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-Bay-Side-Spinning-Reel-for-Parts-Repair-/392031458745?hash=item5b46e555b9%3Ag%3A2mkAAOSwS-Va5ivz&nma=true&si=1jXC3H19QDzjHF6df2hN7ehVZRE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I think when you get 2 people who really want something you can throw the book out the window. That reel wasn't in the best of shape to put it mildly. Does seem like there's a few collectors with some very deep pockets lately
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Sheridan is right about 2 bidders going at it, but that's not uncommon on eBay.

This reel fetched a high price simply because of its rarity. Any 100yd Penn from the 30's is a rare find and any serious collector always searches for the most uncommon models
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wailua boy

I noticed they added a $51 shipping charge they decided to throw in. I wonder where they came up with that number???

Penn Chronology

I feel that in this case the buyers got carried away. My book is simply a guideline. It was also written a few years ago and times change. I knew the Price Guide was a questionable piece of work and simply represented my opinion at the time. I think it has value as a guide but not a bible. If anyone feels it is worthless, then throwing it out the window is a reasonable thing to do.

Shark Hunter

The person that won that reel made one bid. A snipe 7 seconds before ending. Guess he wanted it bad.
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 02, 2018, 04:54:09 AM
I feel that in this case the buyers got carried away. My book is simply a guideline.

I agree...they walked into the light on that one! And your guideline is my guideline, a few years old or not, it gets used almost daily. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnd your guideline is my guideline, a few years old or not, it gets used almost daily

Thank you very much. My intentions was to create a helpful source, knowing that it is appreciated and used is very important to me.