98 Silver Beach No Star Drag

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quotemost thumb stalls you see are Pflueger,

Pflueger patented the thumb stall first here in 1921, which would've expired in 1937 if the same 16-yr protection was given back then. The patent design is different than the design we commonly see, but I'm guessing the wording was general enough to patent the idea, not the exact design (maybe I should've read it?).

Pflueger had some very different thumb stalls as well as the standard leather model. I have not seen the patent you are referring to but here is their catalog referring to the early thumb stall patents and the crazy wood and German silver thumb stall they patented. Pflueger had many patents, a book could be written about that alone.

Swami805

I managed to find a correct spool and handle nut but have been coming up empty on the correct handle for my 98. If anyone has one they'd part with please let me know. $ or trade. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Was the quick take-apart feature on all the 98 and 97's, or did it show up at a certain time, or start off that way, and then was discontinued?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Superhook

The Take Apart is part of the model. Always there...just like the #99.

sdlehr

Quote from: Swami805 on April 10, 2018, 01:12:07 PM
I managed to find a correct spool and handle nut but have been coming up empty on the correct handle for my 98. If anyone has one they'd part with please let me know. $ or trade. Thanks Sheridan
Sheridan, I think I have a '38 handle for your reel if you're interested. I can't look at it or photograph it until tonight.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

How does a 98 compare to a 99, in terms of spool size, width, gear ratio, etc?

Swami805

It's the same only it's a knuckle buster,no drag.
Sent a PM, Thanks Sid
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Hi All,  Another reel I am unsure of the year or era.
I hope it was alright to put it up on this thread.
I may have used up my welcome today with 3-4 reels posted up, hope that's OK.

Col

Shark Hunter

Did you run into a gold mine?
The classics always keep their value.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Cool! A model 98? Supposed to be rare if remember right. No model number, no drag star and accorrding to a guy on Orca, no anti-reverse (don't seem logical, though...).
Wood knob, hershy shaped click button, tall counter weight, can't see if the spool's drilled or pinned...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

milne

Thanks, so it's a 98 model ?

No, haven't run into a gold mine LOL
BUT, have been extremely lucky by the sounds, to get the reels I did.
It was from a collection being sold off.

Col

Gfish

There's actually a thread for the model 98 Silver Beach on page 3 of this "Vintage-Penn" sub-forum. Check it out, and maybe a moderator can move it if need be. Indeed that's good find!

milne

Ok, Sorry, I missed that thread on 98 reels,
     Yes definitely if the Mod's want to shift it yes.
Apologies again.

Col

mhc

Nice reels Col, is the collection they came from in Australia by any chance?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Frank

Quote from: milne on November 08, 2018, 06:40:58 AM
Hi All,  Another reel I am unsure of the year or era.
I hope it was alright to put it up on this thread.
I may have used up my welcome today with 3-4 reels posted up, hope that's OK.

Col

No such thing as to many reel pictures. Keep posting!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.