107 Bayhead

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I finished putting my Bayhead back together this morning. The first photo is a "before" shot...not too bad...but plenty of room for improvement. The second pic shows the green growth we need to remove from the stand and posts. That spool will look better polished, to tone down the bronze spots poking through the chrome. The last two shots are the finished piece, with that old linen line back on the spool. This picture tail plate of the ship sailing is one of my favorites. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Nice work Mo.  That reel turned out great.  I love that picure tail plate.  Same one found on the Angelsea.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

Hi Mo
You did a great job with that reel and you take first class photos.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

Nice job and nice cuttyhunk on that one too Mo.
-steve

Dominick

Pretty slick Mo.  dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Thanks fellas! That line broke in a few places Steve...but most of it was still pretty strong. On the other hand, the reel could be fished tomorrow, it's rock solid! These Bayheads are flying under the radar...very capable reels.8)

coastal_dan

I was watching this one as well, nice pick up.  Great reels that just feel solid!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Brandon G

I'm supposed to be getting a Bayhead in the mail here shortly, I will update with better photos when I get it.
I was curious if there were any schematics laying around for the Bayheads, or any signifying parts to determine which model I have.
The one I am getting has a hershey kiss style clicker, not the waffle, but has the graphic plate with the big ship on it (I believe that is what I see in the photo.)
I'm not planning on fishing with it, just getting it as I had never seen/heard of a Bayhead before, but I want to clean it up and get it in working order if it isn't.

Anywho, I hope this thread isn't too old!
Tight Lines :)

mo65

I doubt you'll find a schematic for that Bayhead Brandon, but the old 85 Seaboy schematic should get you through. Many of the early models had the same internals as the Long Beach, the 85, and the Delmar 285. 8)

Maxed Out

The model # is determined by yardage stamped under the foot
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brandon G

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 03, 2020, 05:07:48 PM

The model # is determined by yardage stamped under the foot
That's what I kind of was going with, but I haven't seen the bottom side of my Bayhead yet. Thanks for confirming that suspicion.

Quote from: mo65 on May 03, 2020, 03:17:12 PM
   I doubt you'll find a schematic for that Bayhead Brandon, but the old 85 Seaboy schematic should get you through. Many of the early models had the same internals as the Long Beach, the 85, and the Delmar 285. 8)

Great! I have all of those reels! I should be able to swap some chrome around to make it nice and shiny if there are any bad spots on it.

Deepennz

Hi Brandon,

Welcome,
The  Bayhead was produced by Penn from 1938 - 1940 ....3 years production run, essentially the Bayhead was a down spec'd Bridge City.
If you look at Mo's reel above you will see that it has a different logo than yours - Mo's reel is a lovely example of a 1938 #108.
Your reel has the 1939/1940 logo, and with that 'kiss clicker' would seem to be a late '39, 1940 reel. When you get the line off you will be able to determine if it has a drilled spool, or  a post.
The Reel looks to be in good condition - I wouldn't get too keen on replacing too many parts at this stage of your reel addiction - just clean it up as per the usual - dilute vinegar etc. I think you will be surprised at how nice your reel will clean up.

Take care out there
Martin

'

Brandon G

Quote from: Deepennz on May 04, 2020, 06:33:21 PM
Hi Brandon,

Welcome,
The  Bayhead was produced by Penn from 1938 - 1940 ....3 years production run, essentially the Bayhead was a down spec'd Bridge City.
If you look at Mo's reel above you will see that it has a different logo than yours - Mo's reel is a lovely example of a 1938 #108.
Your reel has the 1939/1940 logo, and with that 'kiss clicker' would seem to be a late '39, 1940 reel. When you get the line off you will be able to determine if it has a drilled spool, or  a post.
The Reel looks to be in good condition - I wouldn't get too keen on replacing too many parts at this stage of your reel addiction - just clean it up as per the usual - dilute vinegar etc. I think you will be surprised at how nice your reel will clean up.

Take care out there
Martin

'

Thank you! I hope the deal goes through... a lot of people are not wanting to ship for some reason. He agreed but now is dragging his feet. Found another one for cheaper, the guy literally said he doesn't know how to ship and doesn't want to figure it out even for extra money... like WOW... what is it doing for sale then...

I haven't tried the vinegar with reel parts yet just lite scrubbing with steel wool which has been doing a great job. I'll try the vinegar solution on some internals and see what I get!

Maxed Out

Steel wool is for pots and pans.

Using it on chrome reel parts will substantially lower the value and destroy any historical value as well
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brandon G

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 05, 2020, 01:36:43 AM

Steel wool is for pots and pans.

Using it on chrome reel parts will substantially lower the value and destroy any historical value as well
I use a very fine steel wool. It doesn't scratch the chrome whatsoever that I can see in any light. It just cleans it up and whatnot.
IF I scrubbed hard in one spot, sure, but not if I'm slightly scrubbing off the grim. It has polished all of my chrome to mirror finish...

I will probably just use vinegar and a rag on the bayhead if I get it as it is very old.