109 Bayhead

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 08:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

I picked up this handle cheap on Ebay, thinking it might work for my 70 Sea Ford, but when it arrived I realized it would not be correct. I think everything is right except for the pattern in the catalin handle.... So was this handle unique to the Bayhead?
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteI picked up this handle cheap on Ebay, thinking it might work for my 70 Sea Ford, but when it arrived I realized it would not be correct. I think everything is right except for the pattern in the catalin handle.... So was this handle unique to the Bayhead?

That handle could have been used on any reel using the Bell Handle knob style. The Sea Hawk, New Port, Penn 14 & 15 and so on. Any of the low priced Penn reels may have used that handle. The mottling you see in the knob is also common. The material is not Catalin, it is hard rubber. Catalin is what the Torpedo handle knobs were made from.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 11, 2016, 04:55:58 AM
That handle could have been used on any reel using the Bell Handle knob style. The Sea Hawk, New Port, Penn 14 & 15 and so on. Any of the low priced Penn reels may have used that handle. The mottling you see in the knob is also common. The material is not Catalin, it is hard rubber. Catalin is what the Torpedo handle knobs were made from.
Thanks, Mike. I'm trying hard to make this Vintage Penn board an interesting, active place. I appreciate your comments and assistance. I'm not an expert, I just facilitate. BTW, I still haven't found a handle for my '38 Sea Ford. I have a Long Beach with the proper handle, but then I'd need a proper Long Beach handle. I want, I want, I want. I sound like a kid.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteI want, I want, I want. I sound like a kid.

Slow down, this is a hobby and finding these items take time. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Many times the parts you want will come to you when you are not looking for them.

sdlehr

So, in other words, I'm looking for love in all the wrong places?? :) Slowing down had always been that part of "balance" that has eluded me :) I will try. Thanks for the sage advice.

Sid
Sid Lehr

milne

Thought I had better post a Pic of this one.
It's my last one for 2018 !
Face plate photo isn't to clear, but it is a bayhead...
I luv these small yardage Pre war reels....
It's in pretty good condition, just a quick clean up and on the shelf.
Col

Benni3

150 bayhead,,,,great fine and very nice reel ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteThought I had better post a Pic of this one.
It's my last one for 2018 !
Face plate photo isn't to clear, but it is a bayhead...
I luv these small yardage Pre war reels....
It's in pretty good condition, just a quick clean up and on the shelf.
Col

I have the same reel. That is the final logo style used on that model. 1940 was the last year for the Bayhead model and I believe that logo was used no more than in 1939 & 1940. The difference on my reel is the marking on the bottom of the stand only says 150 yds., yours says 150yds. No. 9. Very hard to find reel.

milne

Thanks Mike,     Even the "book" just states just 150 yd for the bay head,  where as the 170 in the "book" states 150 yd no 9.
                   Would you say that the stand is original ?
       I just compared it to the 170 reel stand, as it's stripped down at the moment for cleaning, but completely different dimensions
     It certainly looks patina'd similar to the other metal ware, could this just be another Penn anomaly ??

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike,     Even the "book" just states just 150 yd for the bay head,  where as the 170 in the "book" states 150 yd no 9.
                   Would you say that the stand is original ?
       I just compared it to the 170 reel stand, as it's stripped down at the moment for cleaning, but completely different dimensions
     It certainly looks patina'd similar to the other metal ware, could this just be another Penn anomaly ??

I would say it is original. The time period is correct for the stamping. Sure it was not only used on the 170.