Anyone have a Cedros Speed Jig Rod

Started by spes, February 27, 2011, 12:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
I am looking for a rod to go with my new Makaira 15 II  :)
I deep jig in NE for cod. 09-17 oz iron.
I stopped by my local tackle shop yesterday and he showed me an
Okuma CJ-C-601XH
Has anyone happened to use one of these?

It had some impressive numbers.
Braided Line Wt.
(lbs.)                          65-200
Foregrip                       6-3/8"
Guides                         8+Tip / 316-SS frames/Zirconium PVD insert
Length/Action             6'0" - Extra Heavy
Lure Wt.                      300~500g
Reargrip                        14"
Sections                         1-pcs
Price                               $109.99

Guaranteed for LIFE

I usually fish a longer rod off the pulpit,where I can cast underhand. this rod was so light with big backbone,I couldn't put it down.
I wish it came in gold to match the Makaira :(

alantani

i only have a couple of the nomads and they're fine........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whippertail

I ordered the same rod and waiting for delivery, thinking of maybe a JX Raptor for it.

Whippertail

Recieved my cedros speed jigging rod 6'xh. Seems well made,  hooked up a Avet JX Raptor to it and Maxed out drag on a scale to 40lbs and rod did not explode!  Seems like a good bang for the buck next test hopefully on a nice BFT.  ;D

spes

Mine was supposed to come today it didn't. :(
Sitting around looking at my Makaira 15II I couldn't wait.
I put it on a 6' rod and tied a 9 oz diamond jig to it.. no hook.
Went out in the yard and tossed it around.
I was getting about 125'.
Not going to get in the record books, but I was pretty happy with that.

Cowbass

Waiting on mine... Looks good,we'll see what a fish can do to it..bought from charkbait
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

reelynuts

Why didn't you just buy the one at your local tackle shop? This poor guy spent the money to research it, buy it, stock it, and suggest it due to his time invested in gaining knowledge in the product. You liked it since he suggested it and "SOLD" you on the product,and you went and ordered it from somewhere else. I have worked at 2 local tackle shops and believe me when I say that these guys put in some hours - opening early in the morning to sell bait for the early bird fishermen, and stay open 7 days a week, then having to compete with Walmart, Sports Authority, Bass Pro, etc. The mark up on rods and reels is not great when you consider what the tackle shop owners spend on overhead,and they are probably not getting huge volume discounts that the online/super stores are getting. Now, I understand- we all buy stuff online. Usually to save on the tax-which is often close to what the shipping would be. Its o.k.- I'm not criticizing you. But I hope that next time you consider what your local retailers suffer through to provide a service which I for one appreciate and am willing to pay a little extra for. I'm sure that if you asked him to take a few bucks off or match the online price- he would probably do it. Also If there is a problem with a purchase, you don't have to pay to ship it back to the online place then pay to ship it back to you. That's if the online place will even help you with it. If the local bait and tackle shops cant make money, they will eventually cease to exist. Try buying live, fresh or frozen bait online. Again, I don't wish to criticize you, just keep it in mind for the next time. By the way, My local tackle shops prices on basic equipment like the Ugly Stics and Penn rods, etc. is cheaper than our local Walmart and Sports Authority-plus they give me a little discount because I'm in there buying stuff all the time. I dont even ask for it. Thats one last issue; when a retailer sees someone walking in and wastes their time and the person never buys anything (significant), that retailer can build a feeling of dislike, and may steer you in the wrong direction, or fail to tell you about the "Hot Bite" that might be going on as you speak.

Dominick

Quote from: reelynuts on January 15, 2012, 05:42:50 AM
  Why didn't you just buy the one at your local tackle shop?  If the local bait and tackle shops cant make money, they will eventually cease to exist. Try buying live, fresh or frozen bait online.
Hey Reely Nuts, you are not really nuts.  I agree 100%.  Shop locally as often as you can.  It is easy to sit in front of a computer and click away, but the local shops need the business.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Hff

I agree with supporting the little guy also!

Over the xmas period I had planned to buy a rod at BCF (boating camping fishing shop, as big as a kmart?). I went in to this place, and the idiots there wouldn't even let me bend a rod cause i might break it!

Went in to the local fishing tackle store, bent about 10 rods with the owner and decided on a rod which i'd seen in BCF (Daiwa monster mesh max PE6-8). It was $20 more in the tackle shop, but he gave me a $20 discount without asking because it was xmas!

In short: local shop = simmilar price but greater service

erikpowell

yota924x4

i have the 5'6" xxh and the 6'0 xh cedros. havent fished them yet but they are sweet looking and well made.  and they deadlift 30lb without issues. sorry i dont have any more insight than that.

Cowbass

Shopping locally is all fine but saving money is number one to me... I saved a bunch of money buying my stuff online and it ultimately pays for the line on my reels which isn't cheap. To each his own
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Bryan Young

Personally, I will not buy rods sight unseen.  I often bend rods to make sure the guides are on the spline and that the are straight.  I was at my local tackle shop in search of a new, light rod with aftco ultralight rollers.  Every rod that I picked up was off by at least 30 degrees from the spline.  Not good.  So the search went on until I went down to SoCal, and found it.   :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bruce

Hello  Bryan      Wow, maybe those were made in Detroit on a Monday moning .    Interesting observations on the rods all being off spline.
    Can you give us a tutorial on spotting that problem and maybe some other things to look for when buying a rod.

Thanks  B.
Buzz