New to spinning, Question on Shimano Stradic 5000 FK

Started by Genshi, April 13, 2016, 08:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genshi

Hello everyone, new here, been lurking a while absorbing a lot of information.  I now have a question about a reel I just received as a gift.  Got the new Shimano Stradic 5000 FK.  I see it rated at 25 pounds of max drag but this reel seems a little too light for that rating. 

I'm going to compare this to my current Avet SX loaded with 40 lb braid topped with 25 pound mono.  Handles everything here in Socal easily, mainly yellowtail and football tuna with drag settings from 5 to 10 pounds on live bait.

On this Stradic, I loaded it with 30 lb braid with leader of 25 pound fluoro.  So the Stradic drag rating is a lot higher than SX.  Can this reel consistently perform at say, 8 pounds of drag?  8 pounds seems kind of heavy for a reel this size.  I'm not too knowledgable on spinners, but I do like the idea of casting smaller fin baits with this thing.  With the right stick, will this reel be enough for local yellowtail and football tuna fishing live bait?  On paper it seems it will perform, but just looking at it and holding it, I'm not too sure, it seems so "delicate" compared to the conventional reel.  It only weighs 11 oz, which is awesome, but a little hesitant it can handle a 25 lb yellow.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Genshi on April 13, 2016, 08:15:41 PM
Hello everyone, new here, been lurking a while absorbing a lot of information.  I now have a question about a reel I just received as a gift.  Got the new Shimano Stradic 5000 FK.  I see it rated at 25 pounds of max drag but this reel seems a little too light for that rating. 

I'm going to compare this to my current Avet SX loaded with 40 lb braid topped with 25 pound mono.  Handles everything here in Socal easily, mainly yellowtail and football tuna with drag settings from 5 to 10 pounds on live bait.

On this Stradic, I loaded it with 30 lb braid with leader of 25 pound fluoro.  So the Stradic drag rating is a lot higher than SX.  Can this reel consistently perform at say, 8 pounds of drag?  8 pounds seems kind of heavy for a reel this size.  I'm not too knowledgable on spinners, but I do like the idea of casting smaller fin baits with this thing.  With the right stick, will this reel be enough for local yellowtail and football tuna fishing live bait?  On paper it seems it will perform, but just looking at it and holding it, I'm not too sure, it seems so "delicate" compared to the conventional reel.  It only weighs 11 oz, which is awesome, but a little hesitant it can handle a 25 lb yellow.

The Stradic FK won Best New Freshwater Reel at ICAST 2015 but can be made to work in the salt with a few caveats:

1. Replace the felt drag washers with carbon fiber. We have already seen them torn up by hard pulling fish. Smoothdrag can help you.

2. They may or may not handle a 25lb Yellow and good luck near structure on the bottom (not likely with felt washers). On the surface, 200 yards of 30# braid should handle most schoolie YFT and smaller YT.

Lest us know how you make out :).

Genshi

Hi John, thanks for the info!  I will switch out the drag to carbon fiber, hopefully this reel holds up.  If it can handle the local brutes, this will be my go to setup when fishing with anchovies.  I'll report back on how the reel holds up. 

Gfish

Genshi, I got 2 Stratics(FJ models) and both've graphite(plastic)rotors. Under a-lota drag stress there's too much flex in the rotor arms for my liking. Never had one break or crack though, so mabey it's a good thing( as in relieving stress to other internal parts of the reel)? Conversely, I've had aluminum rotor arms permanently deform by dropping the reel or banging it , 'er something. Also gotta check out the line roller on the Stratics after every trip(saltwater corrosion ona bearing).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

I'm guessing that reel wouldn't last too long if something were to put anywhere near 25 lbs of stress on it.  :o

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on June 27, 2016, 05:03:48 AM
I'm guessing that reel wouldn't last too long if something were to put anywhere near 25 lbs of stress on it.  :o

Yea, odds are some Yellow is gonna tear that Stradic 5K a new one lol :).