older model Shimano Symetre 4000FL

Started by AU7172, April 16, 2016, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AU7172

Hey Guys,
Anybody have a schematic for an older model Shimano Symetre 4000FL, front drag? The one I found online is 240524 and is different from my reel.
Thanks
Russ Haynes

foakes

Hi Russ --

Not sure of this will work, or not.

Here is a Symetre 4000FG from one of my 1998 shop manuals.

If this would work, I could scan a better copy direct to you.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

AU7172

Thanks fellows for the quick response. However I didn't see what I was looking for. I have a new 4000 FL which I really like so when I saw one at a garage sale for $10, I had to buy it. It was gunked up pretty bad so I am taking the side plate off and a small metal piece about 1/4 in long falls out before I saw where it went. I should have posted a picture so you would know what I am talking about. Anyway it is not shown on the current schematic 240524 so I assume I have an older model. I'll post a picture tomorrow and maybe someone can identify it.

AU7172

Here is the mystery part which fell out after I removed the side plate. the other image is where I think the part came from.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Might be a retaining plate for the thin rod that guides the foot of the crosswind block?

handi2

Yes John that is the retainer the fits outside on the tail end to keep the guide rod from coming out. Held by one screw.
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Let me see if this works.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-1/SYMETRE_FRONT_DRAG/SY3000FJ

It's part number 12 screw and 8988 oscillating guide retainer.
Gulf Breeze, FL

AU7172

I think you nailed it Handi2.  Great job! Thanks. That was driving me crazy. I love this website.

AU7172

Hanhi2. if I understand you correctly, it should look like this?

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL