Penn 180 - Lack of a clicking noise

Started by AlcoholicFisherman, April 17, 2016, 08:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlcoholicFisherman

I took apart one of my baymasters for the first time and reassembled it after cleaning and re-greasing and the reel now seems to lack the clicking noise as the handle is turned. The anti-reverse and drag works fine with no issue but it's missing the characteristic click.

RowdyW

It's probably the grease on the dog that's quieting it. If you like the dog to click then just oil it. If the anti-reverse is working then it's no problem.   Rudy

Ron Jones

Yep,
If you're OK with it being quiet, you'll know when it is time for more grease when it starts making noise again. Probably be a good long time if you used good modern grease.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

You've found the Holy Grail....a quiet Penn..... ;D  as stated above if the anti reverse is functioning all is good.....but for a HazMat fee and shipping and handling I will take that old polluted reel off your hands and dispose of it in a kind and eco friendly way..... ::)  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: TARFU on April 18, 2016, 03:11:01 AM
You've found the Holy Grail....a quiet Penn..... ;D  as stated above if the anti reverse is functioning all is good.....but for a HazMat fee and shipping and handling I will take that old polluted reel off your hands and dispose of it in a kind and eco friendly way..... ::)  Bill

I do not think you can legally do that in the New Peoples Democratic Republic of Norte California but I can properly dispose of it in Oregon. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Quote from: AlcoholicFisherman on April 17, 2016, 08:18:23 PM
I took apart one of my baymasters for the first time and reassembled it after cleaning and re-greasing and the reel now seems to lack the clicking noise as the handle is turned. The anti-reverse and drag works fine with no issue but it's missing the characteristic click.

Like the others have said, just grease got in there to quite the dog a little.  Some people like it that way, other people like the noise. 

I personally like my reels quite, except for the ones I have alternating double-dogs.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your work Danny.   ;)

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

AlcoholicFisherman

Thanks everyone for the quick responses everyone! I was somewhat panicked that I had done something wrong after all that effort of putting the reel back together! It feels great that I didn't screw it over   ;D.

Here's the reel if anyone is curious:

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

I've found that a 180 seems to inherently have a softer click than most models. Another soft click is the Delmar 285. As the folks have stated...grease will deaden the sound. Another culprit is the spring, which can get bent to far and have decreased pressure. It will function just fine from a barely audible click to a hard clack depending on pressure. I personally like a good loud click. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~