Penn Baja Special anti-reverse problem

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I fished 1 time a week as I had my Boat in Fla & Panama, as to the drag setting I used the old and proven pull the line trick and I never had a problem also most if not all of my fishing was trolling, When your going at 10-12 knots trolling 25% the battle is over at the strike. I know now it was not the right way to set the drag but I would guess 50% of the fishermen if not higher set there drag that way.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Rivverrat

Thanks, Joel. Your reply is much appreciated....Jeff

Alto Mare

Tom, thanks for sending the bridge over, please let me know how long I could hold on to it.
I believe you did it, the Baja shouldn't suffer anymore issues with the dogs.
I know you've posted some pics already, but my pics might be better :)

Excellent job Tom!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Tom, just received the bridge today. Nice touch on extending the threads on the sleeve so the handle nut has more threads to grab, fitting flush.

I'm not ready to yet to go in any detail. I will just say the anti reverse came through fine regarding preliminary testing this evening. The few Baja / US113 I've had prior did not do well. All except one failing at what I did this evening.
This Thursday  It's off to the river with it. To hopefully hook a true river monster that I've seen twice in the same area while scouting recently.
This upgrade is already in my mind showing promise....Jeff

borchcl

Tom, if you are going to market these, I could use two.
Charlie

steelfish

got mine, thanks Tom, its really a step forward from the stock assembly, all parts feel more sturdy and rigid, you surely just scored another touchdown compadre.
I really love how the dogs are now NOT floating on the posts like before

cant wait to test it.

The Baja Guy

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: borchcl on September 20, 2016, 02:17:58 AM
Tom, if you are going to market these, I could use two.
Charlie

As soon as the feedback confirms the design, these will be available.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Rancanfish

I will get in line for two also since these are down the road a ways.

Tom, is your idea still to have a .01" shim under each dog?  Or did I miss something?

Also, the springs are redesigned? If so can I order a couple of extras to stash?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Cortez_Conversions

There is a .01" shim under the dogs. The way you all slap the grease on things, I was worried that the dogs wound stick to the bridge if there was full contact. ;D

The springs are stock, but I had to reverse the bend on one of the legs because they now sit on top of the dogs.
I'm planning on having a stronger spring quoted if this takes off.

I will do a full write up when they are ready.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Rancanfish

Great! Very exciting.  I like the idea of a stronger spring too.  I love to hear the dogs at work.

Thanks once again Tom.  I feel very fortunate to be hanging in the same club with someone of your ability.

Now if my wallet can get caught up I'll be set for life with my reels.  I can't tell you how good it feels to know the tools we will be fishing with are almost indestructible.

You have me covered from Squidder, to Jigmaster, to Daiwa 600/900, to 113's, to Baja Special.   Amazing.

mhc

Will the dogs and posts be available separately as a 'DIY' kit for other reels? Or are the posts too tall to use with a 98-320 sleeve for example?
Thanks
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cortez_Conversions

Mike,
As far as I've looked this is specific to the 113HN Baja Special and the new US113,US113N, and US113W reels.
Tom

Rivverrat

Unable to go any where today & was bored silly.

Over 20 lbs. of drag, Clicker on, in free spool, 30 lbs. of weight dropped from over 20', lever thrown forward.....REPEATEDLY.  
I have zero desire to test Tom's work to point of failure. I only wish to see if it works well within the specks Penn has set already

Rivverrat

First person that says....."That Ain't no fish" ....gets 49 lashes with an Ugly Stick Fly rod & one smack with a Seeker Rail rod.
I think I have as good an idea as any regarding where this reel fails. Yes it will take time wetting a line to fully prove this out. Testing like this does however show if something new has enough merit to go forward.

For what it's worth everything came out fine. Absolutely no movement of the post in the bridge.
Tomorrow off to the park for a taller tree. Hope to have some video. Trip to the river put off until this weekend....Jeff

Rancanfish

Attaboy!  Giver' 'ell Jeff.  Lol.

Actually I'm glad to see you trying unusual methods like that.  It shows that a great reel is going to be even better.  

Everyone needs a Baja Cortez Kit now.

I just noticed you have the new 113hn or whatever #.  Mine is an oldy.