Penn Baja Special anti-reverse problem

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 22, 2016, 01:39:44 AM

I just noticed you have the new 113hn or whatever #.  Mine is an oldy.

They are the same. Parts from both can intermingle. If you have the plastic star for your drag you might want to upgrade that. They've been known to break....Jeff

josa1

Seems to me that most of the bridge components, and actually other pieces of this reel, are missing a little Yamaha Marine grease.  Is it just me, am I missing something, or is this the way you would lube these parts.

I noticed this lack of lubricant from the first picture on the first page.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.....

josa1

swill88

Quote from: josa1 on September 22, 2016, 03:59:28 AM
Seems to me that most of the bridge components, and actually other pieces of this reel, are missing a little Yamaha Marine grease.  Is it just me, am I missing something, or is this the way you would lube these parts.

josa1

just a guess... fresh water = less grease?

steve

steelfish

josa1

Since I opened this thread I think it's on me.
1st picture from the 1st. Page its a reel that was sent to me to fix it from problems on the antireverse and to service it, that reel had years with no services according to the owner, no wonder it's dry of grease, not the recommended way to have a saltwater reel.

About the picture from the post #10 on Same first page, that's another reel already cleaned and dry from grease and oil just for taking the pictures and see more clearly the issues, both reels were delivered with plenty Yamaha grease ala AT.com way on gears, screws and internal walls and TSI 321 oil on the bearings.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Seems to me that most of the bridge components, and actually other pieces of this reel, are missing a little Yamaha Marine grease.  Is it just me, am I missing something, or is this the way you would lube these parts.

josa1
If your speaking specifically of Tom's bridge in my pics I chose to make use of it initailly with a good coating of oil. I wanted to be sure everything was as smooth as could be. As stated prior I do fish fresh water.  I will be coating every thing in grease with a light coat later. Even with fresh water I think it's the way to go for long term durability....Jeff

josa1

Thanks for the answers.  I just acquired a used Baja Special and was researching to see what I should do to maintain it properly.  I noted that it had no wear on the anti reverse dogs and had been lubed differently than the reels shown in this thread.  Of course, there's no way of knowing how much use it had been put to.

The reel acquisition bug continues.  Don't know what I needed with a Baja Special, but after reading Alan's post on it, I just wanted one to see how the spool was disconnected from the pinion and bridge when in free spool.  Pretty interesting to say the least and it seems to work well.

Maybe I'll use it to fish wahoo on bait...

josa1

steelfish

after thinking a bit on how to test this upgraded antireverse assembly to the max while fishing I ended up with the idea that the best way to test it is with the same person that brough me the Baja Special reel broken for the 2nd time on the antireverse assembly.

So, these parts (AR assembly) will be installed on my friends reel which as you might remember runs a sport fishing charter with two big Pangas, he's more than happy to help on the testing of these parts, as this reel is normally a loaner to the customers which half of the time are fishing for their first time we can expect on a short period of time to have these parts pushed to the limit with tons of snags at the rocks on the bottom, tons of hard jerky movements to try to get the jigs free, and hopefuly expecting lot of fishes too, not many monsters locally but hopefully some nice fishes on it, maybe fight a big black grouper, also many times trolling with it, casting heavy irons, etc.

Depending on the use of the reel I will ask the reel back to check it out on 4 more weeks, if not too many action and the reel continue to runs correctly then I will wait 4 more weeks to make it 2 complete months of action as loaner reel on this panga service, this is tremendous more work on the reel than I could ever do to it on the same period of time.

why I choose my friend instead of me? well after the reasons I already posted, he already toasted his Baja Special bridge again, which it was installed new on May 2016, or he is too hard on this reel (which its his favorite) or the bridge posts are not mean to be used 3-4 times per week on a Panga service as loaner reel, sadly the rees of his reels for suffer from antireverse problems as often as this model the rest of the panga reels are gold trinidads, few 113h, few 114h, avets, and some newells, but he is in love with the Baja Special and I dont blame him, he has high hopes on the upgraded parts since he said now the reel will be ready to get some big groupers, the big mamma grouper

the bridge that I installed on his reel new on May 2016 already have one post losen to the point that you can take it out by hand and the other post is already bent, not as bad cuz it continue to work but its only matter of time until get broken for good.

check the next pics of his reel, by the way these pics were taken yesterday, I wanted to clarify it cuz the look the same that the ones I posted on the opening post on the thread.

you can see the dig post along with the dog and spring on the table at your right side

Two dogs are already with marks as expected by the way the dog posts are, but still on working condition

I put the dog post and hit it with a wrench just to take the next pictures, now some comparative pictures just for referece, and for the rest of the guys on the site to check the awesome machinery job that Tom does.

its a beauty

check it everything and fits like a glove, perfection

and bit of grease to install the new parts and get the reel ready to fish

ready to some heavy action

I will update this thread as soon as I have something new on this or if by chance by friends detect something wrong on the reel, if the reel continue to slay some fish with no problems I will update in few weeks, maybe at the end of october and and then again at the end of the november.

sorry for the quality of the pics, my good camera died few weeks ago and had to take the pics with my cell phone.

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Thanks for the comparison shots.  I can't wait until Tom starts production.  There is no way his parts are ever going to break down on me.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rivverrat

Your pics are just fine. Sounds like you put Tom's work in great hands. Iv'e been doing some off the water testing. So far Tom's work has stood up to all of it. I'm really starting to think we have the lock work here that might be able play well in the higher drag range that the Baja / US113 can produce....Jeff

mo65

Wow!! A major upgrade...problem not only fixed...but eliminated!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Mo, not in any way wishing to take anything away from what is most obviously some fantastic & very gracious work done by Tom for those of us that love this reel. However while I've never met Tom face to face I can say that I have gleaned enough about him from his post here that I am pretty sure he wants this right before he makes more.

I also have spent a large portion of my life frustrated with gear I used to fish my favorite river. Few reels doing what they claimed & none until recently exceeding my expectations. It was my coming here to this sight where things changed for the better. With the help of Alan, John T. & reading the posts of many others along with tests of my own I learned & relearned a lot in a short period. Finally arriving at a sound idea of what reels work best with in my criteria.

When Tom asked me if I wished to fish his work I was floored. I relish this sort of thing. Again not wishing to take anything away, I will just say that when the 3 or more of us are done fishing, testing & the reply comes back positive I believe then a person can be very certain this anti reverse done by Tom will take most anything the stock drag can dish out.....Not quite there yet I dont think....Jeff

Rivverrat

Be sure to click image in the upper right hand corner
https://goo.gl/photos/qhxVFw9L9NhBuRVH8

handi2

Looks perfect to me. I know I'll need a couple of them just for the reels we fish with.

I haven't had any come in the shop that were having problems with the stock arrangement but one of my reels has the slightly bend dog post.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 29, 2016, 11:06:56 PM
  Be sure to click image in the upper right hand corner
https://goo.gl/photos/qhxVFw9L9NhBuRVH8

where is the rest of the video?

so, you let the 75# weight fell down and stop it with the 25# drag on the reel or how it was your test?
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

The weight was dropped with clicker on then the lever thrown forward. If you listen closely you can hear the clicker stop after the lever is thrown forward. meaning the force is being held by the anti reverse for a moment. I believe there would be no difference at this drag setting, with the results regardless of weight used in this type of test with this reel.

Again while this is not a fish this type of thing can I believe show with decent certainty that we are at a better place than before.  Guys I'm having trouble posting video. Just got word, got to pack up to leave. Not Good
I cant do this right now. I'm having no luck posting any more video. Could use some help....Jeff