Looking for new reels

Started by LeperKuN, May 05, 2016, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeperKuN

After trying freshwater fishing in Los Angeles with no success took a toll on my confidence. I'm used to almost never going home with no catch. I told myself I have to try the ocean and I went to the Santa Monica Pier. Had some promising nibbles that excited me but still didn't produce. I told myself if I catch nothing on a charter boat, I quit fishing for life.  I can be dramatic. :o

I took my girlfriend and my son with me. Holy f%#$, my girlfriend caught her first fish, before me(I'm competitive lol), right when she dropped the line. Then the son caught his first! Then I had two on my line. They all were rockfish. WOW!!! I'm still just as excited as that day! I'm so pumped! I need to go back out ASAP!

Now, that was an expensive trip but worth every penny!!! I need to find reels with my very limited budget to avoid renting 2 fishing poles for them. They both didn't like how we had to guide the line on the rented jigmasters. So they need to either be narrow or levelwind reels. I just don't  know what drag strength is sufficient for yellowtails. That's what I plan to do, catch yellowtails around Catalina Island. My budget is... Let's say keep it under 300 for two reels. I love truth and progear stats and sizes but the prices are killing me. What's a cheap alternative?

I will be getting ugly stik tiger rods.
I never give up, only take breaks.

Marcq

DaBigOno

Yellowtails at Catalina can be 40 pounders at times, and can put some hurting to you. 

With that in mind, I would recommend a used Penn Fanthom 25N
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/penn-fathom-25n-perfect-condition-spooled-star-drag-165.624695/

Two speed if possible
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/torium-16hg-penn-fathom-25n-2-speed-torsa-20.624434/#post-4082524

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MarkT

40#ers at Cat is a good day! Most days they're much smaller. A 20# rig is much more useful than a 40# rig. But then, I take both!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Level wind reels can be good for beginners but need more maintenance. Also catching hard charging fish like yellows or tuna sooner or later you will have a issue with the level wind feature on all reels, its just their design, rock fish not so much.

If you think the people using these reels will want to keep on fishing saltwater then sooner or later they will need to learn to thumb line onto a spool. IMO it is better to teach them now on how to do it unless the kids are very young like under 9 years old then a lever wind may be the way to go. Non level wind reels will fish live bait better than level wind especially when the person starts to learn to cast.

New reels like already stated to look at are the Penn Squalls like a SQL15, Daiwa Sealine SLX20 or a Shimano TLD 15/30. These 3 reels would be good for most fishing off So Cal for 3/4 day trips. Once you start to do over night trips then you may want to bump up the reels one size for most bait fishing.

Now if you want to look at used gear and really keep cost down their is a lot of very good used gear to be had at a nice price but there is also a lot of junk too so you have to kind a know whats ok and whats not. Many tackle stores around here have used gear that their selling so stop by some and ask the guys working there what they think would work for you.

Alto Mare

Good point on the Level Wind Mark, here in the NE , guys that enjoy using those reels for saltwater pull them off.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LeperKuN

I'm going with the 2 speed fathom 25n for myself.  ;D

I forgot to mention I already have one Abu Garcia ambassadeur alphamar 20, it's levelwind. I'm going to give that one to the kid.

Now to find a reel for my girlfriend. Maybe a reel for 1/2 or 3/4 day trips. No levelwind but narrow. I saw Okuma Solterra reels are cheap and narrow with nice drag. Are they good for bottom fishing for 1/2 and 3/4 day trips? Reliable? Etc
I never give up, only take breaks.

Dominick

Level winds work on all hard pulling fish.  The secret is to make sure the level wind is aligned properly.  If the line pulls through the level wind guide on a straight pull there is very little pressure on the level wind mechanics.  My opinion.  BTW is there a secret for realigning the line in the level wind guide after it becomes out of sync?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on May 06, 2016, 04:57:39 PM
Level winds work on all hard pulling fish.  The secret is to make sure the level wind is aligned properly.  If the line pulls through the level wind guide on a straight pull there is very little pressure on the level wind mechanics.  My opinion.  BTW is there a secret for realigning the line in the level wind guide after it becomes out of sync?  Dominick

Dom,

I dont know if this count as trick, but if you know the side where the line is running on the spool and the levelwind runs the oposite, you can take the pawl out, then move the levelwind aligned to the line on the spool and put the pawl again, try and error until get it.

If Im really concerned about the aligntment, I put all the line on an empty spool and then spool it again, not a trick but the best way  ;D

back on the topic, I havent had any problem with Yellows on the 15-20# mark using a venerable 320gti (usa) or a 330gti
really cheap, easy to work and fix and realiable as a Volkswagen Bug, ooh and really light for a kid or a woman
The Baja Guy

Bill B

LK, my 15 yo son has been using a Penn GTI 310 and Okuma 300 Classic (both level winds and easy to maintain) when we fish on the LA/Orange/SD boats with great success.  Both are sturdy and durable and can be found on the used market (craigslist and ebay).   You can probably find both for under $80, combined.  Glad you got rid of the skunk, seems like getting the first fish is always a chore.  2X on getting the level wind straight, it can be done qa couple ways, like stripping off all line and winding on fresh stuff, or loosen the pawl screw under the level wind arm and lining up the line coming off the spool.  Here is a link that shows how to disassemble a level wind reel.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=659.0

Good Luck and dont be bashful asking for advice....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

There are disengaging levelwind mechanisms on baitcasters that'll allow you to realign spool line position so it's even with the line guide. On my mid-80's Ambassedur Ultra Mag XL V("5") pushing the free spool button disengages the double wire line guides as does pulling line out via the drag. You just pull enough off the spool 'till it's even with the pawl assembly position, put it back in gear(turn the handle) and the pawl assembly on this one automatically picks up the 2 line guides. But!, it gets better: you can disengage the 2 guides in the free spool mode, then separate them to either side of the spool for relatively frictionless casting. The line guides are separate units stuck together with a magnet. Again, when you put it back in gear the pawl assembly will pick both wire Line guides up. Anyone have or use the ultra mags? They went from I - VI(1 - 6), made in the 80's and I assume on mine XL means extra-large. The 5&6 are very rare on E -Bay, I saw one -new in the box a 5 like mine for $605!?!? and that's been it.  Unfortunately, that's my only "automatic -disengaging level-winder"
reel I've owned, but there's gotta be more models out there.   
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on May 06, 2016, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: Dominick on May 06, 2016, 04:57:39 PM

Dom,

I dont know if this count as trick, but if you know the side where the line is running on the spool and the levelwind runs the oposite, you can take the pawl out, then move the levelwind aligned to the line on the spool and put the pawl again, try and error until get it.

If Im really concerned about the aligntment, I put all the line on an empty spool and then spool it again, not a trick but the best way  ;D

back on the topic, I havent had any problem with Yellows on the 15-20# mark using a venerable 320gti (usa) or a 330gti
really cheap, easy to work and fix and realiable as a Volkswagen Bug, ooh and really light for a kid or a woman

Thanks for the advice Steelfish.  It is a trick if you didn't know about.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RocketDog

LeperKuN,
I'm new to the salt water scene.  And for the money I bought  Daiwa Sealines  or SLOSH model as they get called.  I bought a couple of size 20s and a 30 from some fishing forums and ebay.  I think I get more utility out of the 30 size.  Both are great and bought them used.  There is probably no difference but I prefer the Made in Japan models because I think they have better QC.  For a low price you get a very decent reel that you can learn on.  Also the SLOSH cast really well, especially flylining- a level wind would make flyline casting difficult.

Now that I've used them for a season  For the low investment I have had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish with those reels.  Also agree with others re the level wind.  Don't do it.  Learn now,  by the third trip loading the line will be easy. 

alantani

long beach 60's with straight 30# mono!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Some talk about re-aliening the pawl on a level wind reel and that sounds fine but have they tried this when hooked to a yellowtail or tuna? I really would like to see someone try this while hooked to a nice fish. You see the real/reel problem starts once hooked up not after a cast or a deep drop.

Can you fish level winds for these types of fish? Sure. Will you sooner or later have issues with the plastic gear driving the worm, have the line on the spool be out of sync with the pawl and can both of these be a mayor PITA when hooked to a fish? You bet.

There is a reason that on most sport boats out of So Cal when heading off shore for game fish people that bring their own gear most don't have level wind reels in their line up. Have you ever thought why that is the case? Is it because their just salty old dawgs and don't know any better? They just like to put more work into their fishing? Or do you think they may know a thing or two and have seen issues with level wind reels and game fish?