Which long Beach???

Started by Scroungydog, May 11, 2016, 12:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scroungydog

OK, I lucked ($10) into an old long Beach without a model number on it. I can't figure out how to put pics on here but it says 400 yards on the base. And has 3 cross bars in front and 3 in rear. So I was thinking a mod 66, but it does not have a spot for a rod brace. I know pics would be better but I'm computer stupid.

swill88

Welcome Scroungydog!  

Can you attach and send via email?

If so... pm me your email address and Ill post it here.

just sent you a pm

Steve

Superhook

Scroungydog,

It is likey late 30's early 40's

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12463.90
You will probably see a #66 , 400 yards reel amongst the photos.

Ray

swill88

Cord... somewhere here there's a message on how to post pics... I couldn't find it.

6 pics of Cord's reel...

Superhook

Looks like a 1938 #66

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

The long beach size was determined by yardage on the seat up until 1941/42.

The LB60 250, LB65 300, LB 66 400, LB 67, 500 yds. There never was a long beach 68 with 600 yds stamped on the seat because by 1942 when the 68 was introduced, the yardage on seat went away and model# became part of the logo on the headplate

Heck of a nice piece of history and can't beat it for $10

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Scroungydog

Thanks Steve! And thank you guys for the help. I'm a gunsmith by trade but grabbed this reel to try my hand at tuning reels. I'm guessing a 38 is better restored than tuned (don't know much about collecting reels). Or is this a common enough reel to play with?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Scroungydog on May 12, 2016, 03:30:07 AM
Thanks Steve! And thank you guys for the help. I'm a gunsmith by trade but grabbed this reel to try my hand at tuning reels. I'm guessing a 38 is better restored than tuned (don't know much about collecting reels). Or is this a common enough reel to play with?

Although it is not particularly valuable, it is old, and is a good representation of the early/first year 66 (when Penn decided to start making larger LB models).  This makes it collectable, and more valuable origional, either 'as found', or restored.  Personally I wouldn't upgrade this one.  Maybe sell it to a collectir, and use the finances to purchase a newer model to upgrade/tune. 

It's your reel, and you can clean it up, and upgrade the drags/handle, (and maybe spool) if you like.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Scroungydog

Well, i hate cutting up history, guess it's time to find a collector who will treat her right. To much history to make modern and I can find to many "modern" senators, squiders, and long beaches I can use for my needs.