Drag Question on Saragosa 18000

Started by Cast-Away, March 05, 2011, 01:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cast-Away

Sorry for opening a new thread on this but I couldn't find the answer in search.  I just opened the box on a new Saragosa 18000, the first thing I noticed is the drag washers appear to be dry, should I put the star drag grease on them or leave them as is?  They are not the typical ceramic drag washers I find in Shimanos. 

I see a lot of talk about Carbonex washers, what is the big advantage over the ones Shimano ships standard with the product, it seems pretty smooth as is - is it worth it?  The reel will be used mostly for Yellowfins that average around 50 lbs and hopefuly an occasonal Bluefin up to 200 lbs I hope.  It took about 500 yards of 65# power pro so I should have plenty of line.   

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, the Dartainium Drag material used may stick when wet or when heated up when the fish peels line out, which contributes to a dropped hook or line breakage.  Greased carbon fiber drags is the way to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cast-Away

I did some reading and it sounds like Shimano recently upgraded the drags on the newer Saragosas.  Here's a pix of the ones in my new reel, are these Carbon?  If so should they be greased or should I leave them dry?

I tried to upload pictures, reduced them to a very small size but an error says my photo file is full...

Bryan Young

You will need to use a internet photo host to post photos, like photobucket, picasso,...

The Saragosas that are provided with the  Dartainium Drag material should be replaced.  The new ones that come with carbon fiber drags should be greased.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cast-Away

Thank you, that answers all three of my questions.