Cardinal 154

Started by smnaguwa, May 11, 2016, 09:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

I have a Cardinal 154 which is mechanically in good shape but the plastic spool broke in 2 after fighting a female shad in the Sacramento river. I glued it back but doubt it will hold. Is there a metal spool that will fit?

Tightlines667

This is really a question for Fred, who is currently on leave from his duties, but...

I think they did make metal spools for this model, though they may be very hard to come by (or I am completely wrong?).

I would search the history of Abu website for model specifics, check ebay periodically, and maybe post up a wanted ad here, and maybe on the ORCA site.  

Good luck with your search!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

If you can post a picture of your reel and broken spool -- that would help, smnaguwa --

Someone on here can likely help you with one -- if not, and if you could wait a couple more weeks, I will be back home -- and could see what I have at that point -- should have one.

Should be a skirted spool, I believe.

If no joy in the next week or so here at our site -- just PM me a reminder, and I will take care of it before the first of June.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

smnaguwa

Hi Fred, the picture and box is exactly what I have. I refilled the reel after supergluing it and used it for trout but would like to use it for shad again. Thanks.

foakes

Unfortunarely, SGA --

Glue will not hold it -- at some point it will just come apart -- either when a big fish is on -- or just a temperature change while sitting on a shelf -- so another spool is in order.

Of course, IMO...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I think I have one; will verify this evening.

smnaguwa

Thank you for the information. But, the price is more than what I paid for the reel.

foakes

Do you still need a spool?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

smnaguwa