cord for deckhand wraps etc

Started by q3fishboy, May 17, 2016, 09:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Hey -

Was planning on purchasing some cord to use for deckhand wraps etc.

Did a little reading online and am now confused about what type of cord I actually want to buy.

Seems like some people are using tarred line while other are not.

Also, seems like some people are coating the blank/line before/after wrapping.

I would prefer to be able to use only the cord and not have to use any coating.

Am also somewhat nervous about the tarred line being somewhat sticky.

I understand how to do the actually wrapping (copying wrapping a guide with thread).

Am just looking for some clarification on the material and thickness of the cord itself.

Thanks a bunch.

cbar45

Hello,

For the grips you mention I like using #8 nylon tuna cord manufactured by Atwood, and prior to that National Tackle. I also use a thin film of paste-type epoxy over the blank prior to wrapping which helps keeps the wraps in place, especially since I normally don't use any type of coating over the grip itself--only when I feel extra abrasion resistance is needed.

The tarred seiners cord is very tough, but I've found that it is hard on your hands if you're going to be casting the rod a lot, as in a surf casting application. That probably won't matter on a rod that will see most of its life fished on the rail. Will try to get some photos and diameter of the cord when I am back home this evening.

Chad

Tightlines667

Chad...
I like to call 'Tuna Cord'... 'Blood Line'.. but that's just me ;)

Seems like it would work well for this application since it is uncoated, and will absorb epoxy/sealant.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

John,

It's been a long time since I've heard that term..;) Yes, you are correct. The nylon does absorb epoxy finish very well--a thin coat to where you can still see the cord's ridges is all that's needed.

bill19803

For  deckhand  wraps   use   NYLON  not  cotton   which  deteriorates  with  time.  Braided   nylon  absorbs  finish   more then     twisted nylon.  If   you   dont   want  finish  to   show on   surface  of   wrap  then  undercoat  the  thread as   you   apply  it.  Without   some  sort of  finish   the   cord   will  eventually   loosen/move on  you  and  then     oops  ( 12 year old  rule applies here) Home depot has  both  twisted   and braided in  several colors

doradoben

fish boy, the link posted below is a complete tutorial from Bloody Decks.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/west-coast-deckhand-style-cord-grips/

David Hall

I like parachord.  No epoxy.  Seems to hold up fine.

SoCalAngler

Great question by the OP. Before you start to wrap the blank make sure the reel will fit onto the rod with the cord added. On my deckhand style rods (no reel seat) I started to use cork tape. This tape is thinner but does not hold up as long as cord. But for me I like thinner reels and as such these reels will not fit onto a rod's butt with cord wrapping. To have the rods cork tape last longer I add a small piece of x rap heat shrink tube where I mount the reel. For other rods I will go with the heat shrink over all of the cork tape.

This may not be for everyone but if thinner reels are going onto a rod you may want to check it out. If your going to leave the reels attached to the rods for many days or weeks cord is the way to go IMO but if the reels will come off in a few days the cork tape is not a bad way to go...with the heat shrink.

oc1

I do pretty much what the link above does, but would never drill a hole in a blank and don't use heat shrink.  Just fray the ends and tuck it under like you would wrapping a guide.  

I use the Ashaway-type green braided nylon from Memphis Net and Twine.  It's about 1/8 inch diameter and several hundred pound test but you can get smaller and larger sizes to suit your needs.  I usually put a thin coat of varnish to give it more stability.  Varnish keeps it from absorbing water too and gives the texture a bit of "tooth".  It can all be removed later without tarnishing the blank.  I use several layers of line, building it up more where needed to make it comfortable.  The link above uses a simple spiral wrap.  If you want a spine in the grip (like a golf club) you can use a locking stitch (think of many clove hitches) instead of the spiral wrap.

The piece of line used for tying on the reel is separate and not varnished because it will be removed as needed to service the reel.  I put a loop in the piece of line that ties on the reel to make a hook keeper ring.  When tying on the reel use at least a couple of figure-eights around the front foot then the back foot so the reel can not fall off even if the line slips.

Tarred seine twine is not as oily and nasty as it used to be, but it will still turn your hands black when new.  It ages to a nice gray color though.

It can all be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.  If you're really into it you can make monkey fist but cap, turk's head spacer, diamonds, ribs and a variety of other decorative and functional nautical and macramé knotting.  Like everything else in rod building, it can all be traced back to the fundamentals of marlin spike seamanship.

-steve

cbar45

q3fishboy,

I am having trouble uploading the photos, but here is one that worked. From left to right and their diameters:

Atwood, braided nylon, 2.5 mm
Atwood, braided nylon micro-cord, 1.18 mm
550 nylon paracord, (de-cored for a flatter look), 2.0 mm
National Tackle, twisted nylon butt cord, .70 mm
National Tackle, twisted nylon butt cord, .70 mm

I like the discontinued National Tackle brand and Atwood, as their colors have good UV-resistance.

Seeker also markets a cord meant for deckhand wraps; you can find it for sale at the vendor sites that cater to rod-building.

If you are going to apply finish over your grip make sure that the cord you choose is un-oiled.

Most brands already come that way, but it's still a good idea to check.

For a deckhand rod the 2.5 mm size is a good all-around imho, but you can always build up the blank using cork tape.

The smaller diameters shown I mainly use for lighter surf and spinning setups.

cbar45

Quote from: oc1 on May 18, 2016, 06:36:57 AM

The piece of line used for tying on the reel is separate and not varnished because it will be removed as needed to service the reel.  I put a loop in the piece of line that ties on the reel to make a hook keeper ring.  When tying on the reel use at least a couple of figure-eights around the front foot then the back foot so the reel can not fall off even if the line slips.

-steve

I like that idea for a hook keeper Steve, will give it a try next time.

Tiddlerbasher

For boat rods I like EVA - wrapped with a spiral of paracord - then covered in heatshrink X-Wrap.
Like this:

mike1010

I just recently started messing around with cord wrapping, both paracord and tarred seine cord.

There's a guy on Bloody Decks who suggests finishing paracord with Minwax Wood Hardener (http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-41700-Pint-Performance-Hardener/dp/B000BPINKS).  My experience with it so far has been very positive.  It soaks into and hardens the fibers without leaving an obvious coating, though it does darken things some.  For wrappings that are finished with tucked ends it seems to do a good job of keeping the ends in place.

Here's something I did to cover some vandalism committed on one of my rods (aggravating story):

Mike

oc1

Nice turks head Mike.  I never heard of the wood hardener but could use a lot of it around here for wood rot.

A good thing about paracord is that the inner (white) strands can be cut back making the part that is tucked under less bulky.  When all the inner strands are removed it lays down almost like ribbon.  These days paracord comes in all colors too.  Versatile stuff.
-steve

q3fishboy

Hey guys - thanks for all of the help.

I am hoping to avoid any sort of adhesive or coating either before or after the wraps.

Also seems like tarred lines are not needed, so, I can avoid them as well.

Given this, was mainly asking about what material and diameter cord to use.

What I am gathering is that it actually doesn't matter much and is just personal preference.

Seems like parachord is fairly popular, but any nylon cord should be fine.

Does this all seem right?

Thanks again.