physical exercises to get ready for stand up style fishing?

Started by Rickb, May 19, 2016, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: MarkT on May 20, 2016, 05:29:41 AM
 Some of our guys think exercise is reaching for the remote after getting a beer from the fridge.

you talkin to me!!!

David Hall

David Hall

sounds like your in better shape than I was when I took on this challenge.  Using a belt and kidney harness gives you all the leverage in the world and that is just enough to give you the edge over the tuna in this fight.
I'm not saying don't worry about getting in shape, by all means at our age any excuse to improve our health is a good thing but leverage during the fight is the key, and no matter how hard you work to get stronger you are not going to physically overpower a tuna in your weight class.  You are going to need leverage and the better you perfect technique the happier you will be after the fight. 

Keta

Quote from: Red brown on May 20, 2016, 06:51:51 AMI have an auto immune issue that keeps my muscles in tone but causes lots of connective tissue damage

Marfan's?

My legs do not work well and I fall down....before tequila.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Red brown on May 20, 2016, 06:51:51 AM

Did sit-ups,push-ups,leg lifts and toe touches no problem.Could only do 23 chin ups/pull-ups and arms were done.
said I would have to be tied into the boat so the fish wouldn't pull me in!

Redbrown...only 23 pullups?

i'm trying for 2... but I got 120# 'advantage' over you

ok... getting inspired to exercise (they are catching 100# bft on overnight trips out of san diego)

think i'll hit some golfballs.

steve

David Hall

I think you first need to decide how you want to fight the fish.
1. 1 on 1, or IGFA Compliant.
2. Any means available.

1. Means no rails, and nobody else touches the gear, the fight is 1on 1 from hookup to gaff. Belts and harness only.
2. Means taking advantage of every leverage situation the platform and gear will allow for.

Answer this question first then prepare accordingly.
The difference in the two is immeasurable in terms of the amount of punishment / gratification you will experience.
It all boils down to your personal feelings about it.

Aiala

Remember, too, that some (but not all) of the boats are focused on catch tonnage, and prefer that you avoid protracted battles and power-grind in every fish a.s.a.p. (i.e., USE THE RAIL!)

A method which I, for one, elect to eschew.  8)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on May 20, 2016, 04:25:54 AM
Learn to use the rail!  First and foremost. It will aid you better than a year of working out!
That's cheating.  You have to stand and fish macho style.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: David Hall on May 20, 2016, 04:25:54 AM
Learn to use the rail! First and foremost. It will aid you better than a year of working out!

I agree that working out isn't the be-all end-all of everything, but what I got from using the rail was back strain, mashed and bruised fingers, scuffs on my brand-new Phenix, hand cramps, and an overwhelming sense that this wasn't FUN by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, in the end I lost two big tunas to the Taxman anyway... grrr!  >:(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

You are too tall, the deck is close to my butt and the rail is just right.  I have tuna cord or rod wrap on my heavy rods to keep from getting rail rash too, the blue covering the front grip in the photo of a 75# YFT above....  ;D

Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: David Hall on May 20, 2016, 06:53:34 PM
I think you first need to decide how you want to fight the fish.
1. 1 on 1, or IGFA Compliant.
2. Any means available.

1. Means no rails, and nobody else touches the gear, the fight is 1on 1 from hookup to gaff. Belts and harness only.
2. Means taking advantage of every leverage situation the platform and gear will allow for.

Answer this question first then prepare accordingly.
The difference in the two is immeasurable in terms of the amount of punishment / gratification you will experience.
It all boils down to your personal feelings about it.

With IGFA  rules... are you allowed to brace you knees against the gunnels? or lean back against the cabin?  Is it just the gear that can't touch the boat?

thanks

MarkT

With igfa rules you can strap into a fighting chair while the boat backs down on the fish. They're very anti-long range. Those yacht types would never catch anything stand up on a dead boat.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

I got my exercise for two days now, taking my mower deck off to pump grease in the spindles but had a grease gun that shot grease all over the place but were it was supposed to go. I tried buying a new one from Pep Boys and found that it didn't work so Ruth returned it. I had to use my reel grease gun to finely grease the two spindles. mean time I decided to sharpen my mower blades and when replacing them I stripped the spindle shaft, I jury rigged a nut on it and hooked the mower deck back up. When I hooked the belt up it snapped when I started the mower up....had to remove the deck once again, I decided to replace the spindle along with the belt $130.00 later I put the new spindle and belt one and once again crawled on the ground to replace the mower deck. To my surprise it worked!! :o ;D ;D That took me all of 8hrs to do. :P My legs,knees,hands,and back got a workout.

And I didn't catch a darn fish >:( :'(

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Today I removed the shields on a couple bearings, fitted one of atoms adjustable bearing cups to a side plate, and cleaned the old grease from both side plates.  I was going to start polishing one of Adams counterbalanced handles but I ran out of energy.  Have to wait until tomorrow to get my grandson to set my polisher up on my workbench.  This excercise stuff is for the birds!