Cabo in September ??

Started by Marcq, June 03, 2016, 05:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Risky? Want to go for the 15th, I already booked for my birthday actually my wife did, but apparently it rains a lot, all day?

Marc..

jurelometer

Hi Marc,

Desert country. Very few rainy days  even in September. Something like 3 inch average for the month.  The issue is being in the height of hurricane season.  It brings more humidity, so the weather can be a bit hot and sticky.  But also less crowds.

The  storms form far south of Cabo fairly regularly.  Many just spin over the mainland and die off right away.  Some start heading up north, and then the problems occur.  Often they take a left into the Pacific, and you just deal with some amount of winds and rough seas that can affect the fishing for several days.  The remaining (very few) storms head up into the Sea of Cortez, maybe right through your hotel room.   The hotter the sea surface temps, the bigger the storms can get. 

NOAA has a great hurricane center web page.  They should have a forecast by now for how busy this hurricane season will be.  You can also use this page to track the formation of the storms and if they are heading your way. When I am in Baja between June and November, I check it daily. 

Travel insurance might be a good idea.  Read the fine print about weather coverage.

Some folks prefer only to fish destinations during primetime.  My best trips have all been off season and shoulder.  You can check the stats, hurricanes have hit Cabo, but not very frequently.  Getting blown out is a greater possibility, but then you get to enjoy a day on the beach. 

Hope this helps.

-J

Marcq

Quote from: jurelometer on June 03, 2016, 06:32:08 AM
Hi Marc,

Desert country. Very few rainy days  even in September. Something like 3 inch average for the month.  The issue is being in the height of hurricane season.  It brings more humidity, so the weather can be a bit hot and sticky.  But also less crowds.

The  storms form far south of Cabo fairly regularly.  Many just spin over the mainland and die off right away.  Some start heading up north, and then the problems occur.  Often they take a left into the Pacific, and you just deal with some amount of winds and rough seas that can affect the fishing for several days.  The remaining (very few) storms head up into the Sea of Cortez, maybe right through your hotel room.   The hotter the sea surface temps, the bigger the storms can get. 

NOAA has a great hurricane center web page.  They should have a forecast by now for how busy this hurricane season will be.  You can also use this page to track the formation of the storms and if they are heading your way. When I am in Baja between June and November, I check it daily. 

Travel insurance might be a good idea.  Read the fine print about weather coverage.

Some folks prefer only to fish destinations during primetime.  My best trips have all been off season and shoulder.  You can check the stats, hurricanes have hit Cabo, but not very frequently.  Getting blown out is a greater possibility, but then you get to enjoy a day on the beach. 

Hope this helps.

-J

Thanks a bunch. Since they were hit last year pretty badly I figured it will take a while before they're hit again. I have to check but I think I can cancel a week in advance. It's really cheap at that time of the year

Marc..

PacRat

It's always a gamble in the fall but the rewards can be great fishing if the weather doesn't get you. Once I was fishing in Los Barriles on the East Cape and we caught the calm before the storm. The fishing was great but the humidity was stifling. While trolling it was bearable but when we stopped to fight fish it was insanely muggy with no breeze at all. Fishing was great so we were the last boat in. They were really happy to see us as they were hauling boats out as fast as they could. Riding the storm out with no A/C sucked but it was an adventure. After it cleared some of our party drove to Cabo and they said it was thrashed with a lot of washouts on the roads and a lot of boarded up hotels. Like I said the fishing can be fantastic but at a certain amount of risk. If you can tolerate a few days of missed work (if the airport closes) it might really be worth it. Like they say "No bad days"
-Mike
** If you like your Margaritas on the rocks (I do) then a power outage wont affect you too badly...if you like them blended you will be out of luck.

Marcq

Quote from: PacRat on June 06, 2016, 01:57:56 AM
It's always a gamble in the fall but the rewards can be great fishing if the weather doesn't get you. Once I was fishing in Los Barriles on the East Cape and we caught the calm before the storm. The fishing was great but the humidity was stifling. While trolling it was bearable but when we stopped to fight fish it was insanely muggy with no breeze at all. Fishing was great so we were the last boat in. They were really happy to see us as they were hauling boats out as fast as they could. Riding the storm out with no A/C sucked but it was an adventure. After it cleared some of our party drove to Cabo and they said it was thrashed with a lot of washouts on the roads and a lot of boarded up hotels. Like I said the fishing can be fantastic but at a certain amount of risk. If you can tolerate a few days of missed work (if the airport closes) it might really be worth it. Like they say "No bad days"
-Mike
** If you like your Margaritas on the rocks (I do) then a power outage wont affect you too badly...if you like them blended you will be out of luck.
Thanks Mike  8)

Marc..

Dominick

Marq.  All good information.  I'm going down tomorrow.  My guy down there tells me he takes the boat out of the water during Sept. because of the likelihood of tropical storms and hurricanes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marcq

Quote from: Dominick on June 07, 2016, 03:22:01 AM
Marq.  All good information.  I'm going down tomorrow.  My guy down there tells me he takes the boat out of the water during Sept. because of the likelihood of tropical storms and hurricanes.  Dominick

Ha! Good to know

Thanks Dominick

Marc..