BNIB LD Conventionals, how to set drag to spool line from empty.

Started by strathy, June 05, 2016, 02:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strathy

Hi all,
I,ve spooled LD reels with mono from new before, and star drag reels with braid, but I,ve just bought a pair of Okuma Metaloids (5IILX and12IILX) and I,m going to be spooling them with hollow braid.
Whats the best drag pressure to spool the braid on with ?
How do you set ? measure ? the amount of drag on the reel when its no line loaded so you don,t munch the bearings when loading it ?
Thanks for any info,
Mike

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Drag for spooling depends on braid BS. 10lb drag for most lines - there is usually nothing to be gained from more drag. Braid has only limited stretch - 10lb drag appears to remove that stretch. Setting the drag on an empty reel hmmm I wouldn't try . Just dial the preset (on free spool) so that it overcomes the 10lb of drag for spooling (on strike) - otherwise you won't be shifting much line ;) When you've filled the reel then set the drag within manufactures limits. Dependant upon the LD reel you may have to lower the 10lb drag figure - some reels are maxed out at that drag (your Metaloids will be fine :))!

strathy

Thanks for the prompt replies, I was very worried about potentially munching bearings on new reels, especially as its taken them 5 weeks to get to me from Denmark.
The benefits of the EU single market, NOT!!!
Just waiting for the Tasline hollow from Australia, been told a week, and 30 times the traveling distance.

RiverAngler

I haven't used hollow braid yet, so I can't comment on it. But I spool a lot of 20 to 65 lb round for myself and others, and if I put more than 10 lbs of drag on it  it will "dig" into itself and cause points of sticking when casting. It will definitely frustrate an Angler when that happens. You just need to put enough tension on it to pack it tightly and evenly. that is all
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!