Squidder bearing cup too tight for adjustment

Started by steelhead_killer, June 10, 2016, 03:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Why did the bearing cup come right out, but when I went to replace it with the same cup and bearing, it is binding to the point that I can't use fingers to adjust it.  Do side plates swell or something?  Its threads are fine, not cross threaded.  So I bought another cup.  Same problem.  Bad side plate?  These are the things I ponder...threads on side plate look fine.   ??? ???
><)))">

Cortez_Conversions

Maybe a damaged lead in thread in the plate? Try threading it in from the opposite side if you can. This may straighten the bum thread.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Frank

Those little tension prongs before the threads can be very tight. I have had to wrap duct tape around the bearing cap to remove with a pliers and install without marring the chrome finish.

If you're confident that you have passed the prongs and are indeed in contact with the threads and not cross threaded wrap with tape and tighten.

You can also push those prongs outward from the center but be aware that it doesn't take much to make them to loose and useless for applying tension from the cup backing off.

It only takes a minor difference in cap thickness, perhaps a little more chrome, to cause these headaches.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

Quote from: Frank on June 10, 2016, 08:36:00 PM
Those little tension prongs before the threads can be very tight. I have had to wrap duct tape around the bearing cap to remove with a pliers and install without marring the chrome finish.

If you're confident that you have passed the prongs and are indeed in contact with the threads and not cross threaded wrap with tape and tighten.

You can also push those prongs outward from the center but be aware that it doesn't take much to make them to loose and useless for applying tension from the cup backing off.

It only takes a minor difference in cap thickness, perhaps a little more chrome, to cause these headaches.

Frank
Cortez plates do not have prongs. They are all aluminum as are the bearing caps.

Frank

I must have missed it? I had no idea that they were Cortez plates.

Frank

steelhead_killer, are these Cortez plates?

Frank

steelhead_killer

><)))">

fishhawk

Didn't I read on Scott's that there was a change at one time and some are very tight?
Mark

RowdyW

Then if the plates have prongs you might be cross threading either in the prongs or the bushing. If one starts straight the other might be off a little or vis a versa. If it came out ok then that is probably the reason.

Alto Mare

If you have a bearing cup from a 114H, try it just for the heck of it, but make sure you swap the bearings.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Frank

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 10, 2016, 11:55:27 PM
plain ol squidder

Yeah, that's what I thought, there was NO mention of them being Cortez plates in your description of the problem.  ::)