difference 049 vs 349

Started by bill19803, June 11, 2016, 08:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

im  trying to put together a     rig   for  bluefish   for  gal  pal. The  problem is   she  has  no  hand  strength in  cranking hand  due to arthritis. Was debating a      49   a   349  or 209   or   6/0  none filled   any where near   full   trying  to get max  ease  of  cranking   for a given   drag. Can  anyone  clue me in  about the  differences  in  drags on   first  3? the    6/0  is  ugly heavy  for her   but  the power is   there.  Maybe     3/0  or    4/0   will  do.  Gonna   go  pure  stock  except   for   carbon  fiber
Help

RowdyW

Try a Senator 113 4/0 with the black plates. It should be light enough and with a 2 to 1 gear ratio it should be easy to crank. Or the Special Senator 113H with red plates and 3.25 to 1 gear ratio & larger drags. To reduce weight use aluminum spools.       Rudy

akfish

Yea, I'd probably go with a black 113 as well. The 49 may be too tall for her to handle easily and, other things equal, will be harder to crank than the 113.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bill19803

so i  asked  for   guidance   and  got it  thanks   guys

now  i  gotta   find    4/0   black  side  reel   as recommended

I  dont    do pay pal   but i  send    good  checks lol

whos  got  what  was recommended and  for sale?

bill19803

one other thing--  since its  for other half (lol)   its  gotta  look  PURTY
ive  got   some  old   boat rash beaters that work  fine   but   dont  dare   give them to her- for obvious reasons
maybe randy  has  something  real purty  hiding in his  collection  for  sale

Alto Mare

Good advice above, I would even go lower, a Jigmaster would do just fine. Cranking being an issue, have you considered a spinner? The 750SS would put a hurting on blues as well.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Bill, post a want to buy in the buy, sell, & trade section & let it sit for a couple of days or as you said contact Randy.

Ron Jones

I would prefer a LongBeach 66. It is just a touch faster but the narrow spool will be easier to handle with low hand strength and it is easier to get to the line. Same drags as a 113, put on a Jigmaster power handle and a big star to ease drag adjustment she should be able to almost blow on the handle to bring in blues.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bill19803

being  an   engineer i   just had  to  do research  on  gear ratios   for    this reel   for   S.O.  Got my  eyes  opened a bit.  Burned up a   lot  of  Pennparts  band  width  for a   while.
Remember its gear ratio,    spool  diameter   and   handle   size  that all  determine   power  of reel,  or in  this case  ease of  cranking.So here  goes
60   2.5/1   66  2.5/1   155  3.0/1  209     3.2/1   49    3.5/1 45gls   3.9/1    210   4.0/1   jigmaster    4.0/1   accurate  DPx2 600w   2.2/1   low         3/0 black  2.25/1   and the  winner is   4/0 black  2.0/1.   Bigger numbers mean more turns  of the spool per turn of the handle - takes more  force  and  gives less power    at   hook.
All  Penns are  gonna  have   roughly the  same spool  diameter  when loaded  with line   and i  assumed   that   there  are lots of handles    floating  around  for the penns  that  give  optimum choice  for  each reel.  Of  course   this  also assumes   all reels  are  stock--maybe a bad assumption   if buying  something  from a member here    with all the  goodies  that  folks  hide in  reels   to  boost performance.
So it  looks  like im looking   for  a   penn  4/0   black or  with black  guts.   Since im  in  the  woodshed   for  going  fishing one too many times    id better    find  something pretty   for   a   girly  girl  (ya  know  something   like   MS  Aiala   would   love  )   Now  to  find  this  unicorn of a reel

Shark Hunter

I know that Unicorn term well Bill.
My Unicorns end up costing me more than a G.
I would consider a 112H.
Smallest of the high speeds.
Compact and powerful for its size. 4:1 ratio at 25 oz. JMO
Life is Good!

bill19803

Darren   Gal pal  has severe  arthritis in  cranking hand   If im  gonna  get her  to  fish   gotta  get her   something  she  can crank ( and  get me out of woodshed).    4/1  gear ratio  is too  high  more speed then power. In  this  case   we  need  the power   so  she  dont have   to crank  so hard.For a  big guy like   you  4/1  is  fine  shes  a  tiny  little  thing  and  we are  both OLD, OLD   and OLD.(close  to being  toast)  Your turn  will  come   lol   give  it   20 years.  But thanks  for the  comment.  ANy other    advice is solicited   Help !!  this woodshed  is  getting   smaller  every  day.

RowdyW

Bill, if you want to buy a new reel Penn still makes the Senator 113 L2. It has a graphite half frame, aluminum spool, 2.0 ratio, 2 position handle, 27 oz., etc. Shop Amazon, ebay, etc. for the best price. Nice & shiney & the little lady will love it. The L2 is the only 113 that comes with a aluminum spool.

mhc

Another option if you want to dress up an older 113 is to get a narrow tiburon frame, a stainless longbeach 66 spool and larger handle grip to make a "Grouper Special"

Mike

PS - I'm not sure what this one weighs but Rowdy's 113 L2 option with a graphite frame and aluminum spool would be a lighter reel if weight is a consideration.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ron Jones

I don't know that the gear ratio makes all that much difference between the 113 and 66, but you could make a "slow 66" with 113 parts and end up with basically the same (but not as strong) reel as a grouper special. YOu could put the 66 gear train in the 113 and make a mid speed 113 for yourself.

I think you have it though, a factory 113L2 would be the quickest answer.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bill19803

Randy  P   came  thru   with  my  ticket out of the  woodshed. black   4/0   with   green  tib  frame, black  spool, super green handle   which  will get mounted  on  aftco  silver unibutt   with   corded  foregrip   and   graphite  stick. Color  coordinated -- NOT---  available  cheap  yep (had the  rod)   did  the  foregrip   for  rail  work.  Pics    later
Thank  you  Mr  P