The Bantam 50

Started by mo65, June 14, 2016, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I just scrolled through 40 pages of Shimano threads...but found not one question or tutorial about the Bantam 50. Either they never break down or I'm the only one using them! :D ;D :P I don't have pics to do a proper tutorial, but we need a Bantam 50 thread, so here's a look at my reel. The drag washers were hit hard on this one...so I tore it down to clean and service. I've found these reels cast as good with stock bushings as with replacement ball bearings.

One of Shimano's classics.

The bits and pieces...cleaned and ready for reassembly.

The reassembled bridge.

Mounted on a Tiger Lite Ugly Stik it makes a great musky/hybrid striper combo.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

johndtuttle

Right on! Go forth and slay with that combo!  ;)

thorhammer

Man I always wanted some of those....great ole skool classics...my Bantam 100 with teak handles was my first casting reel in 1977 and I still love it.

Shark Hunter

Good work Mo. ;)
I have a gold Bantam around somewhere.
I bought it in the 80's.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Looks like a very simple reel, how does the 3 arm star drag feels like?

Marc..

mo65

Quote from: Marcq on June 15, 2016, 05:13:26 AM
Looks like a very simple reel, how does the 3 arm star drag feels like?

Marc..

Yes...they are very simple designs...and very effective. You'll find quality materials inside and out...lots of stainless parts. I'll be honest, the 3 arm drag star can be hard to find, it easily hides behind the handle. On the other hand, the reward is the smooth strong drag. I'm guessing its the large gear/washer because she only has one inside the gear and one under it.

Newell Nut

These are very nice reels and cast great with good line capacity. I have 3 new ones and one use Bantam 1000+ that I used in Alaska for Kings and sockeyes. Never had an issue with it.

Ruffy

I have one of these reels. My dad bought it for me for my 8th (?) birthday, knowing that he'd get the most use out of it as he often went fishing without us. Little did I know, and I was that much into fishing that I didn't care. I still have it, and the 3500B baitrunner I got for my 10th birthday. In hindsight I was a pretty lucky kid. Dawn does have carbontex for this reel, as always well worth the upgrade!

Thinking about it now, he also bought my brother an Abu 6500C3 under the same guise as the Bantam, the cheeky old bugger ha ha.

Swami805

Greetings, I have 2 bantam 50 that I used for rockfishing for quite awhile. Over time they both developed the same problem, the spool won't engage from free spool when I turn the handle if there's a load on the reel unless i pop it up with my finger. Since I'm constantly going in and out of gear to check for bottom with a 6 to 8oz sinker I can't really use them for rockfish anymore. I have my grandkids coming down soon and I'd like to let them use them on the local 1/2 day if I can fix them. Anyone know what's causing this? Nice little reels and I'd like to get them back in the rotation. Thanks 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Hi Sheridan --

Since those great little Bantams are not really mean't for salt water, ocean current stresses, and heavy lead -- the reels just likely need complete cleanings, salt removal, burnishing of any parts, good marine grease, Drag replacement, adjusting and tuning.

If all of this was done -- the problem would probably be fixed.

Salt becomes encrusted in all of the wrong places -- causing sticking and poor operating issues.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Swami805 on August 02, 2016, 02:40:47 AM
Greetings, I have 2 bantam 50 that I used for rockfishing for quite awhile. Over time they both developed the same problem, the spool won't engage from free spool when I turn the handle if there's a load on the reel unless i pop it up with my finger. Since I'm constantly going in and out of gear to check for bottom with a 6 to 8oz sinker I can't really use them for rockfish anymore. I have my grandkids coming down soon and I'd like to let them use them on the local 1/2 day if I can fix them. Anyone know what's causing this? Nice little reels and I'd like to get them back in the rotation. Thanks 

Either the kick lever under the hood is gotten gummed up (probably corrosion) or the same has worn enough to no longer function.

Swami805

Thanks, I saw the tutorial at the top of the thread and it looks pretty user friendly,I'll go thru them and hope it's just gunked-up. I got a lot of mileage out of them, I put hawg handler handles on them when they were new and they served me well for a long time.
Thanks again
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Fred's prolly right...start with a good cleaning. These 50s aren't like the little Bantam 100s everyone is familiar with though, a Bantam 50 is bigger, about the size of an Ambassadeur 7000. They are popular with snook fishermen in Florida, and musky fishermen here, but I never heard of anyone bottom fishing them. It could be that big 6-8oz. sinker wore them out.

hurt locker

Bought a Bantam 500 Broken or for parts about a month ago and finally got it fixed up. internals look about the same as the Bantam 50 but no clicker on the 500. I used a Ht-100 6-965 under the gear and a 6-113h inside the gear. As Mo said, very smooth drag .  Also put a 24-555 Mag handle on it.

thorhammer