Jiggin Master and Maxel Reels

Started by miwidomi, March 13, 2011, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I would be very interested if someone could tell me what reel (apprx the same size, weight and gear ratio) I should replace my JMpe8 with, that will do the same jobs better than it.
The jobs I use it for are vertical jigging, flesh bait fishing (top, mid, and bottom) and yes, trolling also.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

I think it is interesting to see that SHIMANO have used ALPS (Taiwan) reel seats on their latest top shelf rods.
Jigging Master use Alps components on their rods also.

johndtuttle

Quote from: basto on January 06, 2013, 12:50:36 AM
I would be very interested if someone could tell me what reel (apprx the same size, weight and gear ratio) I should replace my JMpe8 with, that will do the same jobs better than it.
The jobs I use it for are vertical jigging, flesh bait fishing (top, mid, and bottom) and yes, trolling also.

What are your specific complaints about the JM reel? I ask this so as to narrow down what replacements might work for you.

best

basto

I have absolutely no complaints about my JM reels. I am asking anyone to suggest a conventional reel, approximately the same size and weight  that will equal or better them for the job they were designed for.

johndtuttle

Quote from: basto on February 04, 2013, 02:27:03 AM
I have absolutely no complaints about my JM reels. I am challenging anyone to suggest a conventional reel, approximately the same size and weight  that will equal or better them for the job they were designed for.

Sure, how about an Accurate Dawg Pound Extreme 2-speed 600N. Superior speed for moving jigs, low gear for superior cranking power. It has a 5:1 high gear and a 2.2:1 low gear....:D

basto

I don`t think they have an anti reverse roller bearing and I think the dogs are synced. This means there should be contact lag from the dogs to the anti reverse ratchet. Lag is not ideal for jigging.

johndtuttle

Quote from: basto on February 05, 2013, 09:36:04 PM
I don`t think they have an anti reverse roller bearing and I think the dogs are synced. This means there should be contact lag from the dogs to the anti reverse ratchet. Lag is not ideal for jigging.

Anti-reverse bearing available on request by Accurate or easily do it yourself:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6350.0

best

basto

Thanks for your reply John.With 3 dogs, if they staggered the engagement of each dog, that would reduce lag considerably.
Basto

hafnor

Quote from: basto on February 04, 2013, 02:27:03 AM
I have absolutely no complaints about my JM reels. I am challenging anyone to suggest a conventional reel, approximately the same size and weight  that will equal or better them for the job they were designed for.

Hey Basto! I keep asking myself the same question cause I want to try new things, but I can only come up with one answer! there is NONE better! don't take me wrong, I think the accurates are great reels, but there are a few things missing on that reel, Like John said You would have to spend more money on a AR bearing, it should have a longer handle (not many aftermarket accu handles out there.... either way expensive if there is any) IMO it needs a JM t bar (the best t bar available) need to sleeve the spool bearings (which is a pain, or atleast for me) on top of that the accu's weigh more, and have less drag (not that you need 80lb like a pe8 states but you know)... I think this all adds up. ;D

That said I think the Jm can improve more too. less screws better metalals, bigger gears on the big ones (pe8 gear same or close to same size as pe3 gear) Not that there is any disvadantage with a lot of screws or that it needs bigger gears, but to make it perfect. It would also be nice with a angular contact bearing replacing the original right side/pinion bearing ;)

basto

Thanks for your reply Hafnor. Not easy to find a JM fan here. Their next generation reel should be very good. All reels can be improved.
Would be great to see them use  thrust bearings in the sideplates.
Yes, JM`s T bar handle is a work of art.
Good fishing!
Basto

ph1l

I have both the JM and maxel to me the JM feels a little bit smoother (maybe its only me ???)... the knob is more comfortable (then again you can change the knob)...

ohhh one more thing during November last year me and my friends took a trip to NZ to do some jigging for yellow tail king fish and found that on the second day the maxel drag get really really sticky because of the water gets inside the reel (luckily the skipper help my friend to open the reel up and re-grease the drag for him).. before the NZ trip my friend only use the mexel a couple of time.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bullshipper

I have 2 of the older style Maxel 08, and my charter captain friend has 5.

We like them very much for vertical jigging and will reverse the line to use same reels in the summer for sailfish and striped marlin. So far they compare well to my Torsa 16N and Avet Jx Raptor, in the same applications.

coastal_dan

The JM's have a big following here in the Northeast for heavy duty bottom bouncing.  Fishing depths of 300' - 1200' with #2 - #5 of lead.  Golden tilefish can get to 50+ lbs and some guys are even going deeper for bigger fish.  It's an awesome fishery to watch from the sidelines, I haven't put $ into it yet due to watching the regulations...some places are saying 1 fish per person, other saying 1 per boat...YIKES!  A JM plus a matched rod is about $1k so not spending that for 1 fish, haha.  The Blueline's are a absolute blast, so I'm sure tripling their weight as a Golden they are a back breaker!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

BrianBM

Tilefish are exactly the reason that I keep an eye on these reels. A shop whose owner I respect a lot recommends them for that purpose.