shimano tld 30 II frame failures

Started by alantani, January 03, 2009, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: bf120hey alan, thanks for all the posts. i remember the first newell i took apart as a kid - and spent the next several hours hoping it would get back into one piece.   

one question for you. with all the crazy billet aluminum reels being made these days, what do you think about our beloved shimanos? i used to think i could do about anything with my 30, close to it with my 20, but im beginning to wonder. i dont see how these guys are really fishing 20 pounds of drag- or more. i fish 18 pounds on my 30 with 60 test, 15 on my 30 with 40. ive caught to 120# on my 30, the reel seemed more than capable. i was worked. i could not have really fished more drag without going into harness or rail fishing, which im not really into.

i have a full set of tld 20 II's that i use for local northern california albacore trolling.  they're great reels.  i have them loaded with 80# power pro and a 40, 50, or 60# topshot, depending on what i'm fishing for.  the most drag i will use is 18#'s, which is 30% of my 60# mono. 

i think both reels are good for that.  i think the tld 20 two speed is the stronger of the two, because the frame is narrower.  i think the tld 30 II would be a good 80# reel with 24#'s of drag if you added an aftermarket frame.  i would not use 24#'s of drag on a stock frame.  and i think your current set up is fine. 

i agree with you.  the tld line is being passed up because of the aluminum reels, and they should not be overlooked.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

As a clue to graphite frame failures, i have noticed that most rods with reels bounce around vertical in rod holders, since graphite is soft scratching occurs easily in the area around the reel seat to the frame this coupled with hi stress from the fish, may be helping the frame failure, so thats what i have observed both the rod holder and rocket launcher may be doing the damage. as its something to watch..... anyway you put 80# spectra on a plastic reel and you want to complain to who ever will listen,,,,,maybe the fish is the smarter one of the two?  What are line ratings for? Maybe for mono full up? Somebody please respond....gstours

alantani

18 pounds of drag at the top of the spool is the most i would subject this reel to.  that means 60# mono, straight to the top, with a 30% drag setting.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!